Le Touquet Spring 2012

Discussion in 'Touring' started by JD, Nov 1, 2011.

1. JD

JD Active Member

Just testing the water here, this is something I've organised a couple of times in the past as a member of Gixerjunkies.

For those people who have ridden abroad I don't need to tell you it adds a new dimension to biking, but there are loads of people who for one reason or another have never ventured beyond our shores.

So, how about a taster for those members to join a ride to Le Touquet with our more seasoned travellers?

Here's the plan. Day trip to Le Touquet, going over on the train to Calais and then taking some excellent roads via Boulogne to LT. Lunch in LT, look around the town (brilliant place) and then head back along the coast to Calais.

Worth pointing out that we would use the 'drop off' system. This caters for riders of all abilities, so that slower riders can be confident that they won't be left behind at any time. Egos should be left at home!

I organised a couple of these plus a weekend trip with GJs and we all had a great time. The most bikes we had on one trip was 42, and using the 'drop off' system 42 bikes roared into LT together, think the locals wondered what hit them, but the French love their bikes.

Anyway, just a thought. If you think you might be interested, post up, and if there's sufficient interest I'll get my organisational hat on. I'd like it to be an opportunity for anyone who perhaps hasn't ridden abroad to join us knowing they'll have nothing to worry about and can just enjoy it.

JD

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

get the hat on JD! im coming....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mel

Mel Active Member

I would have to get my passport renewed cos i've lost it but I might be interested, have never ridden/driven abroad, it would depend when, as I have to make sure babysitter in place etc etc.. so just registering interest. (thanks for the text JD) :)

4. JD

JD Active Member

Now's your chance Mel, get the PP renewed anyway, you never know when you might need it ;0)) Jimbo and I will convince you when we meet up for a blast.

JD

5. Mel

Mel Active Member

yeah, i have looked and looked, gonna have to admit i've lost it :(

6. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Poor effort mel!! Need to get that sorted! Lol

I keep mine safe under the seat cowell!!! You never know when you might need it ha ha

7. Gums

Gums Active Member

Thanks for the text JD i'm interested in going although the PP runs out in Jan so will get on the renewal. I've driven abroad many time but never ridden so am looking forward to this, i just need plenty of notice so as to get the hols booked from work. Sorry i didn't text back but it's 20 pence a go amnd PM's and emails are free.:drama:

• Like Like x 1
  8. abv

abv Active Member

Definitely count me in :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. JD

JD Active Member

No probs mate, go get the PP sorted, you won't want to miss this, trust me.

10. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Owww yus .. a big deffo from moi (that's the limit of my French)
    How about Sunday :))

11. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I'm interested, I,ve diven in France quite a lot given that my perents live there but I have never taken my bike. Might have to stay at a B&B around dover the night before and the night return, best part of 200 miles to Dover for me.

12. JD

JD Active Member

This is one of the Gixerjunkies trips, we're in the Petrol Station car park in Calais, 42 bikes in total (not all in the pic), great day and good weather to boot.

Le Touquet 007 copy.jpg

JD

13. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

14. JD

JD Active Member

15. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

La havre is nice!! Lol

16. megawatt

Le Havre is nice , but a bit far for a one day trip mate. We did the Rieux/Grandcourt road and had a nice steak lunch at Saint Valery sur Somme.
    I can find B&Bs near me if anybody wants to stay overnight? Ferry is cheapest crossing , but can get delayed or cancelled by bad weather?

17. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I was joking!! 350 miles is doable in a day, but factor in crossings and journey two and from Dover / Folkestone and your pushing it!! Certainly in big numbers....

I'd stick with jd's plans.. I've heard about his gj 42 bike ride out before he joined on here, meant to be awesome!!

As for crossing, has to be tunnel, only slightly more expensive, but gives you two hours more riding time and runs like clockwork in my experience.

18. megawatt

Good point Jumbo. Deffo interested, but don't fancy riding with that many peeps, maybe 10 or 20 ???

19. Si.

Si. God Like

Easy do able LOL, i'm doing Folkestone to Verona, Italy in 2 days. I really hope the weather holds up....

20. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Shouldn't make any diff?? Only have one person infront and behind!! Drop off system is easy and affective!