Leathers :: Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by hitch, May 13, 2017.

1. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I'm after a new set of leathers.

I've always had 2 piece, but quite like the Alpinestars GP Plus suit...

AS_1_Piece.jpg

Any recommendations as to places to buy? (not just this suit)
    Any opinions on 1 piece vs 2 piece?

• Like Like x 3
  2. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I had an Alpinestars 1pce for about 18 months, it was more of a budget suit than this one but it was well put together and was a good fit. The real consideration is what sort of use you want out of it? A 1 pce is great for going out for a blast or on track, but I occasionally used mine for the ride to work and it was a pain to change out of. A 2 pce will do both and is a bit easier to live with, but doesn't look as good.

I'd recommend Sportsbikestore. Always had good service and prices, they also offer free next day shipping and returns if things don't fit.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1287

Might be a bit leftfield but have you considered Rev'it?

Decent quality kit and the prices aren't bad.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1105

3. bradt

bradt Elite Member

I prefer 1 piece over 2 piece, Dainese I piece is my suit of choice purely because it looks smarter in my opinion on or off the bike, and I just think they are a safer option.
    Alpinestars do some good suits as do Arlen Ness, are you looking for plain black or colour coordinated to the bike
    Lots of choices buy the best that you can afford and if possible try it on before you buy remembering back protector etc, then either do a deal in the shop or look for online discounts.

4. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I wrote this article a couple of years ago when I was preparing a piece from my case studies. I think I have put it up here before around the time I was doing the interview for the BBC Fake Britain article on leathers.

You may find it helpfull

Over the years, during my time as a motorcycle policeman and then an accident investigator, I have taken a particular interest in how protective clothing performs in the event of a crash. Without doubt leather is still the best protective material to be wearing on a motorcycle. However, when it comes to buying a new set, it never ceases to amaze me how often dealers will try and talk you into buying the latest 1 piece race replica suit rather than listening to what your requirements really are.

Now my requirements are very simple, I want a 2 piece suit that is the correct fit, comfortable (once it is broken in) and well made from a good quality hide. Although a bit of colour is OK, I like my leathers to be subtle rather than in your face! Not too much to ask is it? Well from a number of dealers I have spoken to recently, perhaps it is.

I recently went in search of a new set of leathers since my current suit was starting to get tired, and although I could have gone down the tailor made route and had any colour my heart desired, I am usually quite fortunate and can get a good set of leathers off the peg to the specification I require. On this occasion all five dealers tried to push me into buying the latest race replica 1 piece.

Firstly this would have done no favours for my slowly increasing waistline, and secondly I really have no desire to walk or ride around all day with a big lump sticking out from between my shoulder blades. These suits may be ideal for the track day guys, but I don’t do track days, I ride a Blackbird not a GSXR1000 and I often spend up to 10 hours or more in the saddle.

But there is a more serious side! 1 piece suits are designed for use on the track where everyone travels in the same direction, with nice large run off areas and, importantly, none of the road side furniture that you get on your average A class road. In the event of an accident, medical help is usually with the fallen rider before they have stopped sliding, and everything is contained within a tightly controlled environment. On the road however we are not afforded that luxury. In the event of a serious crash we could be waiting for a considerable time before medical help arrives.

This is where the main issue arises between wearing a 2 piece and 1 piece. A well fitting leather (and this can apply equally to jacket and trouser combination) will, in the event of serious injury, act as a splint for broken bones and, in some cases, reduce blood loss. With a 2 piece, if the rider is suffering from lower body injuries the trousers can be removed quite easily allowing medical personnel quick and easy access to the injury and minimizing the amount of discomfort suffered by the rider. If there is a combination of lower and upper body injuries and it is obvious that, for example, the rider has broken his collar bone, then the jacket can be left alone as it will be supportive leaving the paramedics to concentrate on the area most in need of attention.

Put the rider into the same scenario but this time wearing a 1 piece. The leathers will not be able to be easily removed without great discomfort or the risk of further injury to the rider. Although the paramedics may be able to eventually cut through the leather to gain access to the injured part of the body, this will be time consuming and, in the golden hour, could prove to be critical.

Then there is the issue of practicality. How many times have you been to an event on a hot or even just a warm day, and seen riders walking about with their 1 piece race suits tied in a knot by the arms around their waists, while those who choose to stay covered up tend to look like they are carrying a couple of kilos in their underpants? This is due to the different stress panels on a 1 piece compared to a 2 piece since the 1 piece is designed for the racing/sports bike crouch. 2 piece leathers actually keeps their shape better for longer, not to mention the fact that when you are off the bike you can remove your jacket and remain more comfortable.

The issue of 1 piece versus 2 piece leathers has kicked off many lengthy discussions during presentations I have made to motorcycling clubs up and down the country, and I could take up another two or three pages going into the pro’s and cons of the two styles, but suffice it to say, Mr Dealer, when someone comes into your shop asking for a 2 piece, please respect their decision, the chances are they have considered the options and are not as convinced about the virtues of a 1 piece as you are, some of us like to dress for safety and comfort!

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Millsp1

Millsp1 Active Member

One Word, BKS made to measure , Yes I know

6. Iain

Iain Active Member

Got to agree, got my first one in 2000, got an updated one 3 years ago, but still prefer my original.

That said, much depends on requirements, how many miles a year you do, how able you are to keep a similar size, how far off you are from standard sizes, when do you ride, where do you ride and so many other things.

7. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Changed from dainese laguna seca to held slade for this year. Fit of the held is spot on and amazing quality even over the dainese which i rated highly.

8. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I threw out my 2 Police issue BKS m2m suits. Too dammed heavy in the summer. ;) Thet are not the same quality as they used to be. Many forces who were issued with them have also stopped using the brand.

Don't pay too much attention to CE accreditation until the new rules come into force sometime next year. The rules for getting accreditation have been flawed since they were introduced, and don't let someone put you off by saying they were made in Pakistan. 99% of branded leathers are made in Sialkot in Pakistan.

I think I have mentioned this before, but Brazillian and Southern German cow hides are regarded as being the most supple and strongest (all to do with the cows diet), Goatskin is extremely tough but very light, However it stretches very easily and costs a bit more because f the number of goats it takes to make a suit and of course the current favourite, Kangaroo which is ight, strong, does not give as easily but is expensive.

Lastly, for a clue into the quality, look at coloured garments in the range. White is the most difficult colour for a leather to accept and a poor quality leather will make a white dye look grey. A good quality leather will have a vibrant white which will also be a good pointer that the rest of the range will be of equal quality,

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Ritchierich

Ritchierich Well-Known Member

I had an accident in 2014 in a BKS 2 piece suit but after they finished cutting it off me it was a 20 piece suit :-(
    Have to agree with T.C that 1 piece is a pain in the arse at events like the BSB especially if it's hot, however the one piece look good and fit well especially if your doing track days. I'm in an Alpinestars 1 piece Montegi suit and I love it but getting out of it can be a pain.

11. stupot

stupot Active Member

I bought a Dianese Avro two piece fits well and good quality.

I tried on a few suits in this country, found one that fitted which was £999. I then found the same suit on the Motocard website for £499 inc delivery.

Took a week to arrive but was spot on.

12. Scott

Scott Active Member

Is fancy trying arc on suit
    But mine looks great. Proper used abused tatty and covered in silly stuff. Suits me perfect
    Held suit by the way. I'd recommend them. But hear people say they are heavy.