Living with an ST1300

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by toffeeboy, Jun 6, 2016.

1. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

I've been looking for a second bike to take the missus on the back and having talked to lots of people and because Honda's build quality is second to none I've have bought a Pan

It's great for touring, comfy, smooth and but it is bloody heavy. Was Ok on test but now I'm finding it a bit of a struggle to manage and a massive transition from my sports bike because I'm only 5'9 and not the biggest guy in the world.

Has anyone any experience of the ST1300 and if it'll click or have I made a mistake?

Thanks

2. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I have run both the 1100 (Police bike) and the 1300 in civvy trim, and to be honest (and this is just my own personal experience and opinion) I would always go for the older 1100 over the 1300 every time.

I have found for me that the 1300 felt very cramped, I prefer the riding position of the 1100, the 1100 is for me more comfortable and I could throw the 11 around far better than the 13.

I appreciate that for most peoplemthe 1300 will be seen as a step forward and are normal size, but for me, I think they went the wrong way with the 13.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

Like Tony, I had ST1100 police bike and then ST1300.

I had both.... But when in a transitional period and on the occasions we had to use another team members bike, getting back on the 1100 was like being reunited with an old friend.

The ST1300 was taken out of police service due to stability issues, but this was only ever detected on the police trimmed bike, not the civilian version.

We replaced our ST 1300's with BMW R1200RTP's. They took a bit of getting used to but were brilliant machines. A lot lighter than the Pans, and the first time I went to put it on the centre stand it nearly flew through the back of the garage wall :D. That's how much lighter it felt. Also with the BMW you can get a low seat option. I'm 5'8" and managed fine on all three bikes.

See if you can't get a couple of demo rides and see what floats your boat. Then make a choice.

#3 Nickw, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  4. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

Ah, sorry, I've just re read and see that you've bought one. Sure you'll get used to it. Brilliant turning circle.

Go find somewhere to do some low speed u turns. Use counter balance to get it round and then once you master it try it with a pillion.

5. sinewave

sinewave God Like

ZZR1400 may have been a better choice?

6. red5

red5 Well-Known Member

Stick with it fella, I've recently bought a BMW K1600 makes the blade seem like a toy. I too struggle with the slow stuff, i've already dropped it once! I'll get the hang of it eventually but a bike that weighs in excess of 300kg has no right to handle as sweetly as it does in the twisties.

7. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Thanks guys, in fairness the low speed filtering etc isn't really the problem, it's when you are just coming to a dead stop (last 5 m) then the N to 1st pull away with only one foot planted that causes me to clench of the a*se cheeks.

Thinking a GS may have been a better bet, but I do struggle a bit with the styling. Thinking F800ST may have been a better bet for someone with my whimpy physique ;)