Lumpy idle and stalling

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by gurner89, Aug 25, 2018.

1. gurner89

gurner89 New Member

Hi all,
    As the title states really. Went for a little blast today and after stopping for a brew, started the bike back up and the revs were not stable at all. They seemed to keep bouncing around 700-1200 rpm. Sort of like the drag cars with the massive cams etc. Continued riding off until I got to my next stop, and as I geared down to come to a stop, pulled the clutch in and the bike stalled. Re-started and decided to come home rather than stay out and it stalled again as I pulled the clutch to stop in traffic.
    Anyone had anything like this or know what to look for?

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Something is up the crap with fuelling. Does it have a Power Commander of similar?

They will often run 'lumpy' with a new end can but no re-mapping (as does my 2011). However, I think it unusual that they would stall. There could even be a fuel starvation problem, i.e. fuel pump is blocked or faulty. This might have occurred if you've let the tank run close to empty, in which case dregs/water might have flowed into the pump.

3. gurner89

gurner89 New Member

No power commander, but it does have a Leo Vince can, has had it since before I bought it. I don’t tend to let it run too empty, always fill up before the light comes on, but that doesn’t count out what you’ve said. I did get caught out in rain yesterday too. I’ll give everything a check over tomorrow and see if anything stands out.

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks. Check if there's a possibility there might have been water seepage through the filler cap.

5. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I had this before but not on the Blade. Was on my aprilia RSV 1000r. Turned out it was the charging system. Check your stator coil and rectifier and see if you're getting the correct charge voltage while running!

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. gurner89

gurner89 New Member

Is that just a case of chucking a multimeter on the battery when running and seeing what the voltage is?

7. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I think you get the reading from the rectifier and the battery simultaneously. I've never done it myself but I watched the guys at Aprilia performance take a reading from my bike in this way. I'm sure there will be videos on you tube!

It sounds exactly like what was happening on mine though. Bit lumpy and cutting out when pulling up at junctions or traffic lights! If it is that you may need a new stator and while your at it you might change rectifier too! Good luck!

8. gurner89

gurner89 New Member

Using a digital voltage indicator I checked the battery, and got 14v whilst running, so I think the charging system is working ok. Haven’t got a multimeter at home to check diodes and stator resistance.
    Whilst here though, I did check the oil level which was ridiculously low. A quick top up and the idle seems to be settling a bit better, still a little jumpy though. I haven’t taken it out for a test yet as the weather is pants.

• Like Like x 1