Main Dealer Service Costs

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Rob, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

What do you pay for your first service? Bit of a difference between dealers I reckon. I'll keep it updated to compare. Not sure how it takes 2 hours to change oil, filter, lube the chain & check a few bolts?!?!

Farnham Honda £142
    George White £140
    Blade Honda Reading £115
    Fowlers £105

All for the exact same job!

• Like Like x 1
  2. garyauk

garyauk Active Member

I've just paid £139.99 at George White-so called menu priced, I'm in the motor trade and I would be very happy to change the oil and filter on a car for that price!

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Fowlers quoted me only a few weeks ago £105 for the first service. As I never had any issues with fowlers with my speed triple i will be taking it there

4. Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098 Active Member

Thanks for the info.
    Looks like I will be taking my new Blade to Blade Honda, Reading, as Fowlers are 96miles away.
    Just bought a 2011 CRF450 from Fowlers at Bristol yesterday, very please with the service.

5. Brym

Brym Active Member

Which service is this the run in service one at 500/600 miles or the first one after that?

Had my service done at Fowlers where I bought it to keep the warranty paid for parts only (about £50 labour was free), happy with the service from the people there & had a blat around wales on a Triumph for most of the day while they did it.

#5 Brym, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  6. Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098 Active Member

Brym

The 500mile (run in service) is the same cost as the 6,000mile/6months service

Cheers
    Rich

7. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I thought the first service was suggested at 600 miles? I have got just over 400 on my blade. was going out tomorrow to wales adding another 100 miles approx. was then going to book the bike in for s service at fowlers and get the last 100 miles done just before. unless it is 500 miles for the first service?

8. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

JT's where i purchased my bike made a mistake with my booking. when i took it in they said they had double booked the slot.
    Anyway they did whilst i waited as i was on my dinner break.

As an apolagie they only charged me half hour labour + cost price on oil and filter

I ended up paying £ 67.00

• Like Like x 1
  9. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

I understand people with warranties going to dealers for a stamp in the service book, but if you don't like giving big lumps of money away and want to be sure that a good job has been done, do it yerself!!! It's dead easy, costs very little and probably a better job done!!!

10. dan.1moore1

I guess it depends if you plan on keeping your bike or selling it at some point.

Personally i am happy to pay for the stamp especially whilst it is in warranty just in case, If you want to sell your bike a few years down the line then a service book full of dealer stamps will help the sale.

If your going to ride it till the wheels fall off then service it your self. Its only the 16k that is tricky as it needs new plugs and a valve clearance check. My RR-7 Was with in tolerance at 16k but i was not confident to do it my self.

Also try a smaller bike garage as theyr prices are alot cheaper and they will have a stamp.

Honda dealer quoted me £240 all in for new steering head bearings. Local bike garage done the job all in for £85.00 Bargain !!

11. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Not bought a new bike for a long while now but the last one I did the 600 mile service was free, how times change hey !!!!!!!!!!

Regarding paying the stealer to service your bike to keep the warranty this is not actually required. A European court ruling was made to stop stealers having a monoply on this work. You simply have to proof you have serviced inline with the Manufacturers requirements and time limits and used OE parts.

I personally service all my bikes myself and write a comprehensive report about what has been done and have a receipt from the stealer to proof all parts purchased. The report I write will be quite detailed and tell you how much wear in the brake pads, free play in the clutch, what the valve clearances were and what size shims I have removed and replaced, the throttle synchosation readings before and after adjustmet, the type of grease I used on the suspension linkage roller bearings etc.....
    Show me a stealer that gives you that much detail as IMO they take no care or pride in their work any more.

When selling any of my bikes I have never had any concern from any private purchaser or stealer doing a P/X that my home servicing would effect the value of the bike. In fact completely the opposite any private buyers has took alot confidence from my reports and reams and reams of reciepts and Mot's etc...

#11 BladeRR8, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  12. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

I was quoted about £95 for my first service if used my own oil

When I came to pay they tried to charge me 120 as they hadn't quoted me a Inc vat price

I refused to pay any more than the original price I was quoted and said I wouldn't use them again

For most o the time my bike was in the mechanic was opening crates of new bikes and they still chRged me 2hr labour.

I won't be using them again. The supplying dealer would have done it free as I bought the bike there but its in Manchester so no good for me.

For your warranty your first service needs To be Honda but after the first I think you can go anywhere.

13. Bats

Bats Active Member

Ive just got a 2011 blade and done the first and will be doing all the services on it! and they stamp the book due to a agreement when buying the bike ;)

14. flatstickHRC

Im going to change the oil when I'm home as it's done over 2000 miles now. That should do it until it's next scheduled service at 12m old in April.

I won't be using the main dealer again for that. Just a small independent I can trust.

15. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Thats a pretty nice arrangement

• Like Like x 1
  16. dan.1moore1

Agreed... if i could get the dealer to stamp my book i would do all the minor services my self

• Like Like x 1
  17. gary2390

gary2390 Active Member

I have just been quoted £200 for first 600 mile service at my local Honda dealer in colwyn bay. When asked why it was so much, as my brother has just had his done at George whites for £140, all they said was as I didn't buy it from them then they charge £200 as directed by the 'boss'.... What a joke.....!!

18. Bats

Bats Active Member

200 pound for a oil and filter adjust chain/tyre pressures lights and levels haha I HOPE YA TOLD EM WHERE TO GO!!

19. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

+1

Fowlers Honda wanted I think £110 but I went to JHS racing and got it doe for £90

20. flatstickHRC

Yep they tried to rip you there. That price is a joke. For what the service is I reckon anything more that £100 is a rip off.

I paid £95 or something. Price agreed before I came. After service done he tried to charge £120

Just gave him the agreed amount and walked out never to return again. Will use a different Honda dealer in future