Metzeler Comp K Slicks

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by Yorkshire Tyke, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

2. Jase

Jase Elite Member

My next tyres are slicks on the advise from Scooby he did recommend some but I am fecked if I can remember what they were .sure they were Dunlop though

3. scooby

scooby Elite Member

jason,if you dont mind shelling out £300+ for the KR 106/108 Ntecs then get them,they are the best tyre by far.but racetec/corsa's are also good tyres.i've just put a set of scrubs on to use at oulton as i'm saving my ntecs now for spain :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yorkshire Tyke

Yeah well with a set of scrubs being £100ish i thought may aswell grab this deal next time I need a new set!

5. Jase

Jase Elite Member

The dunlops I have now which are d212 pro have only been used on one track day so will stick with those for now,I only pay £130 for hummer tyres so in know rush to spend another £300.but will get slicks when due as tyres are like helmets worth spending the extra .

How long should my tyres last approx ?

6. Yorkshire Tyke

Lol I have no idea! I've only used scrubs since I started riding track. I've read on other forums though that a set of slicks will outlast a set of road/sport tyres??

7. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

would have thought the exact opposit mate, softer rubber (unless your using hard) and will wear quicker?

i might be totally wrong though, never used them....

8. Yorkshire Tyke

Must admit I thought same as you jimbo, I think it was on gsxr forum where I read it

9. Yorkshire Tyke

10. RichC

RichC Active Member

You should be picking up scrubs on race/track days for no more than £50!!

11. Yorkshire Tyke

For both tyres rich?

12. RichC

RichC Active Member

Yep saw Mark from Holbeach supports Focused days on sunday. K1 front K2 rear £40 loose tyre pair.

13. Yorkshire Tyke

No fcukin way!! I spoke to the guy from parkitt and he said that they can't sell and fit scrubs on the same day due to insurance constraints. He suggested I buy from their ebay page and ask them to be brought to the trackday for me. Had a look and all the 180s are fairly well worn and £60/70ish

14. scooby

scooby Elite Member

you are lol

slicks tend to last longer than cut tyres,the actuall compounds are the same (racetecs,pirreli's and ntec's) but the cuts i find make the rubber wear more.

ntecs dont appear to suffer through heat cycles,we had a big thread about it on another forum,they wear out before the rubber goes off,i've done 6 hard days on 1 set of ntec slicks,i'd never get that from a cut tyre due to wear.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Yorkshire Tyke

it does kind of go against what you might think slick tyres- for raggin on track (less durability) sporty road tyres- for raggin on road but for some longevity too. have you had any experience with the comp K's scooby?

16. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

learn something everyday ey....

at that wear rate, they prob work out better value for money than scrubs then!

so would you always choose slicks over treaded like racetec etc?

17. scooby

scooby Elite Member

it's one of those double edged sword things,cuts tyres you can sell on for road use,obviously slicks you cant,and tbh i wouldn't expect to get 6 days out of metz/pirreli slick. but personnaly given the choice i would only run slicks now,but would have no problem running cut tyres if it weas all i had.

michelin+bridgestone slicks i have no experience of,but the general thoughts on them are that you do need to treat them different to the normal "slicks",as in get plenty of heat into them,and make sure you are pushing on them to keep them working properly,but this onlyt what i have read.

also,there is a diufference between KR106/8 Ntecs,and d(whatever number)ntecs.

the KR's are hand made in the uk (brummie land) where as the d's are made in the usuall manner in France,and again i have no experience of the D's but there is a difference (KR's are superior) apparently

• Like Like x 1
  18. scooby

scooby Elite Member

no i haven't.

multi compound tyres make a big difference as to what your saying,most road mileage is done on the middle of the tyre,which is where they have the uber hard compound now,and progressivley go softer towards the edge where softer rubber is better and soesn't get used as much so will last just as long,it's no different in slicks.theres a pic on here of mew somewhere,have a look at my front tyre you can clearly see the different compounds.

19. Yorkshire Tyke

Cheers for the info man, seems as though if I can get slicks cheap and get my moneys worth its not a bad call, but until my pace is solid stick to the treaded tyres and keep an eye out for scrubs, I don't wanna use slicks and just think that I have a massive safety net of grip because its probably far from the case

20. scooby

scooby Elite Member

until your pushing up at the top end (and i mean full on club/bsb racers) you wouldn't notice a massive difference in grip tbh,look at how quick s/stock riders can lap oulton/cadwell etc on normal road tyres.