Monobloc caliper maintenance

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Blade048, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Blade048

Blade048 Active Member

Lots of talk on the forum recently about Brembo monobloc calipers. Must admit they look the bollocks and are an obvious improvement over standard, but it must be a pain in the ass when it comes to stripping and cleaning, as opposed to normal two piece calipers. How would you get a sticking piston out and I've heard it's difficult to get hold of genuine Brembo seal kits is this true?

2. bambo838

bambo838 Active Member

i guess you use a compressed air to get pistons out.

3. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Or use a proper piston removal tool. No harder to strip and clean than other calipers.

4. Blade048

Blade048 Active Member

I have the laser piston removal tool set and it makes the job so much easier, but would be no good on monoblocs as you don't get the same square on access to the piston like you do with separated two piece calipers. The only tool option I could see would be piston pliers, but these can be a pain in the ass with a well stuck piston, as they can end up slipping and gouging the inside of the piston. Suppose the best option would be as bambo838 said and use a compressed air line (if you have one).

5. Scott

Scott Active Member

Piston plyers. Always worked

6. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

I know excaclty what the OP is asking, YES they are mega hard to fully service, if the seal groves are corroded your in for a hard time as they are VERY hard to get to, I use a high quality dremal and soft wire wheel on two part calipers to clean the corroded groves, most of the time it's not actually corrosion just a build up of sludge that drys up, you can get piston and seal kits for the M4s but they are not cheap! Tbh I have never seen a sized M4.

200 quid for full service kit.

Brembo Monoblock M4 34mm Radial front brake caliper piston & seal kit | eBay

I get them cheaper than that.

7. Blade048

Blade048 Active Member

Cheers Arthur.