Mountain biking

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tuktuk, Jun 25, 2020.

1. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Think just about every man and their dog has been buying a pedal bike over the last few months.

Long story short I need a new hobby and have always liked the thought of some proper mountain biking. Having looked into it a little I realised Chopwell Woods is around the corner from my work and is apparently the best place in Newcastle for mountain bike trails.

Anyone got any experiance and can advise on what kind of bike I need? Worth getting a new bike or keeping my eye out for a decent second hand one?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Noel

Noel Active Member

You might be able to get one through the ride to work scheme if you go new route

• Like Like x 1
  3. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I was thinking that but anything that involves any paperwork and the owner of the company I work for is out :(

Could possibly get a relative to do it but not sure if that causes complications anywhere down the line.

I'd like to buy second hand but I have no idea what I'm looking at. All the ones I've been watching has still sold for mega bucks! One was 15 years old and went for 700 quid :eek: Not sure if this is normal or just because of the current demand.

4. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Went out on my vintage Custom Klein (cc2000) the other week for the first time in years.
    Kept on trying to change gears with my left foot and hand lol and doing whooping endos, felt twitchy as feck just shows how stable a Blade is

• Like Like x 1
  5. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

yeah man, I love it, im more into downhill and freeline (jumping), depends what you want to do, will dictate what bike you need, and as always what you want to pay, if buying new a lot do 0%, I go new 2nd hand and let them lose the money and most are mint from people not using them then sell them, a 15 year old for 700 it must be something about it, old bmx go for a grand, i'v a santa cruz nomad great for downhill but a bit shit for pedalling on trail but mint downhill, im thinking about getting a electric mountain bike, fucking pricey tho,

• Like Like x 2
  6. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

klein that's a special bike, hand painted and they where dear as,
    it will be twitchy slick its a old bike, short bars make it twitchy. bikes have come on a lot in last few years,

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I seen the electric ones but they crazy money! Could have a new MX bike :eek:

I think it's just trail riding, whatever that means o_O Wooded area with slightly carved out tracks and the odd little jump by the looks of it.

The 15 year old one was an Orange 5. Had welds on it that looked like it could have been built from battleship parts lol. I'm just searching ebay full suspension within 100 miles but like I say I've no idea what each type is worth.

If I get a new one, found an Orbea occam h20 if they are any good.

I thought road bikes were expensive. Back when I was cycling carbon had not long become the frame material of choice with weight saving etc so though that was why they cost so much. Mountain bikes are on another level lol.

8. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Sounds like a plan.

May I suggest you decide how much you want to spend - as you can spend a lot of money !

I had a Merlin Titanium hand made frame from the US. Built the bike on the table in the lounge of my flat at the time. Raced it.

The finished bike cost about £2,500 - even then ! but the first Mountain Bike was just to get home from the pub !

So decide how much you want to spend - and don't buy a supermarket special for £75 :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

yeah ignore the orange 5 shit, its old, orbea that the electric one im getting the wild team one, there Spanish, prob with mx you cant go anywhere these electric bikes you can go anywhere, trails everywhere, its massive biking now, believe electric is the future, 40 mile rides, and there epic belive me, yeah there dear but the tanking a good bike can take is surprising, that what you pay the money for,
    i'll have a look at the h20 for you

• Like Like x 1
  10. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Its one of my most favourite things, it was the my first big purchase when I started working.
    Spend quite a long of money and proceeded to spend more, hope BBs hub, titanium flight saddle, xtr etc etc. Due to work, then kids, in the 20 years of ownership it only been ridden a handful of times, it spends most of it hung on the wall!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

slick have you got the matching bars? yeah a lot end up on the wall, my mates got one still too,

12. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

tut are you buying new or second hand so I can look for you, the one your looking at is 2.5k, for that you can get a mega 2nd hand bike, I just found my mate a hope 160 for that and its a 6.5k bike its looks brand new, there a nice evil wreckoning for 2400 which is a steal, might be to much travel for you tho

13. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Nah mines not that special!, I'm guessing you are talking pre trek Klein with the one piece handle bar and stem.
    Mine is came standard with bontrager bits which I quickly ditched with exotica.

14. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Klein Adroit in Rainforest colour scheme

Sorry if this nostalgia trip is not being very helpful to you :D

upload_2020-6-25_22-4-1.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Ideally second hand and sub 1k. I quickly realised that wont scratch the surface on a new one.

I figure if it's done its depreciation I wont lose too much in 3 months when I've remembered I'm a lazy sack of shite and never use it :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Appreciate you looking into it for me!

17. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

yes the one peace, didn't know trek bought them, thought they just stopped, I went onto other things for a few years, try some wider bars on it to improve handling. bars on my nomad are 780mm wide, mines enduro tho,

18. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

how tall are you tuk

19. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Dragged my Trek8000 out of the shed last week, old skool ZR9000 frame, used to race it years ago, but it counts as a barn find now, was going to skip it, but just seen prices on Evilbay, think I post it up a resto project :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

yeah bikes are hot cakes at mo,