MT-10 Test Ride

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Blix, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Blix

Blix Active Member

IMG_5424.JPG IMG_5424.JPG IMG_5425.JPG IMG_5426.JPG

Continuing in the exploration of a possible replacement for my Fireblade I took this out for a test ride today, 2016 standard version.

Had it for a couple of hours but started raining on the return journey so I took it easy and proved to be quite happy just tootling about.

Before it was raining though I was able to give it a thrash on some twisty roads and it has an amazing engine, pulls very hard low down and in the right stuff I was keeping it in 2/3 just to feel that punch which is quite ferocious in places but didn't seem to get out of shape and wasn't the wheelie monster I was expecting, definitely put a grin on my face though.

The riding position is very upright but didn't take much getting used to, however when I jumped back on the Blade it felt like my knees where up around my ears, the tall screen which is an option deflected the wind well and didn't feel any particular blast even up to 100. The wide bars were good for flinging it into corners and gave a very stable feel overall.

Not really downsides as such but I thought the suspension was a bit soft, obviously the SP version would cure this but it's another £3k, it never got out of control just felt a bit soggy and had me out of the seat a couple of times over humps.

The brakes are good but nothing outstanding, probably on a par with my Blade brakes but didn't seem to have the same feel.

The bike also had a comfort seat and I have to say if that was a comfort seat I'd hate to try the standard seat because it was hard as hell.

Overall a good bike and it's still on the list as a possible but I'm not convinced it's as good as my current machine so I'll try a few more, BMW S1000R and GSXS1000F still to go and probably a Triumph Speed Triple.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Does it have long gearing like the R1 ?

I did test ride one a while ago and remember noticing how quickly you were going quickly !

About the GSX-S1000F. When I bought it it came with the idea that I have to upgrade aspects of it. It can be made better with upgrades - most importantly is the slow speed fuelling needs a power commander or similar. I am booking mine in to JHS Racing to have that mapped and sorted. The Brakes - going to fit Sintered road pads for now. They are ok but 4 finger rather than 1 or 2 finger like the Blade.

Quite looking forward to all this really, swapping over shock absorbers and brakes to make it more how I like it. The Blade, never touched a thing, even wore the OE tyres out before changing them !

So that would be my comment on the GSX-S1000F, when you test it next - it will probably need some upgrading to get it where you want it.

3. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

If you own a 7/11 the Mt10 it s the bike for you (tell you as i own also 5 7/11 and 2 mt10)

mt10 = power wheelie till 4 thgear even with the TC on , heavy drinking problems , electronic tech level it´s good
    gsx-s = power wheelie are not her best quality; 240 km with a tank are easy to do , flintstones electronic
    S1000r = in this case a bit of two worlds , but if You are unlucky problems /assistance/ warranty can let you really strained

I heavily modified also my GSX-S and find special parts still bit PITA.........

4. Blix

Blix Active Member

Oh it's a good bike don't get me wrong, the power comes in low (2000 rpm) and quite hard, it's not linear like the Blade but seemed to run out at about 6000rpm which is when the change light came on (that may be set low by the dealer as it's a demo bike). I think 0-100 is comparable with the Blade except you'd be using the higher revs on the Blade.
    It was on mode 2 and TC2 which the dealer said was general for road use so I just left it, I guess there is a more aggressive setting and a lower setting as well but 2 proved entertaining enough.
    It was thirsty mind you, I filled it up and reckon I only got about 45 mile out of half a tank, it was mostly in second and third gear though ;)

Probably the riding position is the biggest change for me, it was easy to get used to but I'd prefer something a little more sporty but not sports bike if you know what I mean.

And this is the 7/11 in case you're confusing it with a GSXR.
    Now these are shit brakes :)

IMG_4758.JPG

5. Openside

Openside New Member

Had an MT-10 for around 7 months before I part ex'd it for 16' Blade. For me the novelty of the naked wore off as anything above 85+ for long periods gets tiresome and noisy! An example of this is one of the old geezers i ride with on his cb1000f was comfortable going 85plus for some time got of his bike fresh as a daisy and im 25 years younger and bloody knackered!! Plus you'll be lucky if you get 100miles out of the tank, believe you me it gets expensive. Out of the 3 bikes I'd be inclined to go for the s1000r.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blix

Blix Active Member

Interestingly enough one of the lads I regularly ride with has a 2015 S1000R, he's 65 and is very happy with it, I've had a go and it was quite similar in riding position to my Blade, I will test ride the new one as it has had some changes for Euro 4 I believe since his model.

7. Openside

Openside New Member

Good idea mate I think the riding position on the s1000r is more aggressive, which is a good thing.......more aerodynamic

8. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

mikuni rs36? :cool:

9. Blix

Blix Active Member

Yep, it was never happy with the CV carbs and the 4-1, the flatslides seem to handle anything with no problems :)