Naked Bike

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by exfire, Jul 21, 2016.

1. exfire

exfire Elite Member

I have been thinking of getting a naked bike for a while, mainly because of the riding position. Love my Blade to bits but even with vario bars my hands and wrists are getting too painful. I know I will regret the wind blast but a bit of incentive to ride slower may be an advantage.

I want to use the bike for more frequent everyday use, in traffic, day out and some back road blasts.

As usual I am in conflict over being practical/sensible and wanting something a bit more special.

On the sensible list is Street Triple, Z1000 and Monster 796

The other list is Superduke 1290, Tuono V4R, BMW S1000R, Brutale and Monster 1200 S

Anyone got any experience of any of these ? Positive and negative points on any would be welcome.

Thanks

2. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

I've had a cb1000r great bike crap suspension.

I hear the s1000r is a great bike

• Like Like x 1
  3. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

I've got the Tuono V4R (the thou not the 1100) and it's a brilliant bike.
    Had a blade before and found it very capable but a bit bland.
    The Tuono sounds better with a standard pipe than a blade with an aftermarket one imho.
    Downside, they're a little thirsty ( this could be due to riding in too much in the low gears because it sounds so good ) and the thou has a seat like a scaffold plank. The seat's easily fixed by putting a 1100 Factory seat on it and they only cost £62+ vat. ( although they seem to be permanently out of stock at the moment)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reddevil007

Reddevil007 Active Member

I have two nakeds in last 3 years. Triumph Street Triple R and Speed Triple. Both excellent bikes. The Street is like a BMX with an engine. The Speed is more of a brute. Bit heavy but fun with grunty engine and with the twin arrows a stunning sound. Honda dealer still has my speed for sale

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reddevil007

Reddevil007 Active Member

I have two nakeds in last 3 years. Triumph Street Triple R and Speed Triple. Both excellent bikes. The Street is like a BMX with an engine. The Speed is more of a brute. Bit heavy but fun with grunty engine and with the twin arrows a stunning sound. Honda dealer still has my speed for sale

6. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Thanks, I really fancy the V4R 1000, but a bit worried about servicing in terms of dealers and parts etc . Have you found any issues regarding this?

Thanks Nige

7. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Both are really nice, I am going to book a test ride on both. On one hand I really like the smaller feel Street, but prefer the looks and more power of the Speed. Guess riding them will help me decide.

Thanks Nige

8. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Luckily I've had no problems so far so not had to use the dealer.
    My local dealer is a multi franchise and I've used them for years and never had a problem.
    Whilst I don't think Aprilia have a brilliant reputation for parts availability (they are Italian after all) this is my second Tuono. The first, a V2, I had for six years and never had any problems. I think if you believe everything you read on forums you'd never buy a bike.
    I do tend to treat my bikes with respect and look after them so maybe that's why I've not had any issues.

9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I've got a speed triple r and absolutely love it.... Sounds ace and goes well. Wind blast isn't too bad with fly screen until 120 ish which like you say isn't a bad thing.

More than capable on the fun roads, does lack on the long straights but not really an issue tbh.

Rode Abv street and it's awesome, doesn't feel any slower tbh, however I just found it a bit dinky coming from the speed, was totally brilliant though.... I'd say best all round bike out there.

My pal had the tuono, loved it, but using most days and 80mile tank range was a mare.... He also had trouble with his and the dealer.... Was without the bike for some time. But know plenty who have rsv4's and tuono no issue. Certainly a stunning bike.

Dave v has the s1000r and it's a stunning bit of kit, fast as and from what I've seen handles great.... Certainly looks very comfortable on it.... Won't let me ride it though lol

My speed :)
    image.png

#9 Jimbo Vills, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

I had a 2013 Speed Triple (Standard Not 'R').

If you are thinking of getting one I would try one first - I found the ride very harsh on anything but totally smooth roads (far harsher than a Blade). I spent money having the suspension setup but it didn't improve things.

I had a few issues (1 recall, 2 warranty claims) with mine over the 5000 miles that I had it (I think I was just unlucky) - but the Dealers / Triumph were good.

Cheers,

Ian.

11. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Chicken strips :eek:
    I know...new tyres;)

12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Was the for sale pics ;)

13. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Thanks SP1 that is helpful.

Thanks Jimbo, I love the look of the Speed R, yours looks the dogs ! I have got a Triumph dealer nearby so will fix up a test ride on one and probably the Street R at the same time.

Thanks IanE that is useful, lot of my roads are exceptionally bumpy.

14. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

Definitely try one on your usual roads before buying. I bought mine as a more comfier alternative to the Blade on back roads etc.- but ended up using the Blade a lot more than the Triumph.

15. steve750

steve750 Active Member

I had a RSVR Factory and it never let me down. Aprilia Performance is only up the road from me too which is ideal. The V4 Tuono are stunning in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

16. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

owned a 1290 superduke and speed triple R
    i have s1000r , cb1000r , gsx-s 1000 . mt10 , aprilia tuono 1100 factory (in the same garage)
    my 20 cents ?
    yamaha mt10

17. steve750

steve750 Active Member

Wow!!!! MT 10? Does it feel that special compared to the rest of just easy to ride and have fun with?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

18. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Thanks Steve, will definitely have to try one.

Kerchef, you have a nice garage of bikes. I looked at the MT10 last week, I had read all the reviews and was really impressed by them. I found it a bit tall for me, could only just touch the tips of my toes down. I am getting a bit old for the balancing on one leg in traffic. There was virtually no give in the seat height when I sat on it so maybe the rear shock was set very firm. Might go and have another try.....I might have grown taller !

19. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

s1000r is same height of mt
    gsx-s1000 is lower
    tuono 5 mm less
    kawa bit higher
    Brutale and Monster 1200 S ? still around that shit !!!! :D

20. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Thanks derchef, the height is important but I have also found that the seat width makes a difference as well.