New Lithium Battery and Charger

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Boothman, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

You'd be battling to do better than Sportsbikeshop both for price and warranty/after sales service. I have that particular charger and have had no probs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I know Nigel I’m a big fan of SBS but last week i bought a pair of tyres for the car for someone on Saturday to say they’re doing them half price at the minute over at ATS.......... god I sound like a cheap skate

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Probably controversial but I haven't bothered with a charger for the lithium battery. I have a basic oxford optimate but I don't think its suitable for lithium.

I've taken it off the bike over winter and kept it in the outhouse which stays at about 16 degrees. The indicator still shows it's full and from what I've read the lipo batteries hold their charge well.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

For the winter I’d agree, but its in the summer if it doesnt get out for a couple of weeks the HISS will draw it down (or at least that used to happen with the old lead acid’s)

6. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

My lead acid failed on the first ride of 2018. I already had the shido so put that straight on and it's not seen a charge since, only done 1000 miles since March last year.

I was dead set on buying an optimate for it but my mate said he's not bothered with any of his and all been good for a few years.

Saying that, watch me stick it on the bike in the next few weeks and I will find out the indicator is shite and it's actually flat lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I always spend 10 minutes searching before buying at SBS as they normally price match, but even if not then I will pay a bit extra for their customer service, returns policy, and the fact they ship via DPD or UPS and not the like of Yodel/My Herpes.

PS didn't find the battery cheaper, one place about the same but most were a lot more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I have the same charger, I got mine from Hunts Honda though......and they price matched SBS at £49.49

Wasn't sure I would actually need one but I'd rather be safe than sorry. There's something comforting about having your bike on charge :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Button pressed battery and charger ordered. Couldn’t face the prospect of a duff battery causing an issue on the first decent day for me getting out. Now for that Abba Stand.................