New R1 MPG

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Carlo, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Carlo

Carlo Active Member

I know its fairy gay for me to ask but im looking at possibly getting a new shape R1 now ive noticed on one review that they said it will only get like 70/80 miles to a tank on the road. Now that sounds mental considering they were not completely on the rev limiter everywhere. Can they really be that bad on fuel? I hate to imagine what they will be like when you give it big ones on the road or track. It would get fairly annoying having to fill the thing up 3 times a week to commute to work

2. Julian

Julian Active Member

Why would you buy an r1 to commute, this is a small,compact,cramped bike with next to no seat padding,designed for hooning about on, can't think of anything worse to commute on tbh, and yes the fuel consumption is pretty bad

3. Carlo

Carlo Active Member

I've always had sports bikes and I've always run them to work. My track blade had a numberplate bracket I used to commute on that and the zx6r in my pic also had one. If it's day light I'll use it. Fair enough when my commute was 378 miles every weekend from my unit I used my 2012 blade with all the road fairings a bike for me especially at these prices is for use more than just the odd bit of track time

4. Drezic

Drezic Active Member

Terrible consumption, I've done as bad as 65 miles to a full tank - and these take £20 worth of fuel!

5. Carlo

Carlo Active Member

That's insane well fuck that I like them but no chance with that mpg thanks for the info dude

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. And7rp2

And7rp2 Elite Member

Yeah the big bang R1's are thirsty buggers ( new & old ) think Alblade had a 12 plate and he was lucky to get about 30mpg.
    I know !! why buy a bike like this and worry about fuel consumption, however when the BMW ,fireblade n zx10 are getting 40's mpg why add more expense when buying an R1 or RSV4.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Drezic

Drezic Active Member

Yea, had the Big Bang 14b R1 and the new 2015 R1 - I can say now that even the 14b was manageable economy wise in comparison to the new one!

I couldn't believe that I did 140 Miles to a tank on this 12' Plate Blade

8. Carlo

Carlo Active Member

For me by the sounds of things the new r1s mpg is to the point of unacceptable it's like a subaru sti Yeah it's fast and fun but not fast or fun enough to justify the fuel costs. If fuel was say 50p a liter or even I suppose up to 70p then it would be more acceptable but when there is a load of other machines out there all doing way better on fuel and are basically up to the same level of performance then it doesn't justify it to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

My s1000rris great on fuel

10. Carlo

Carlo Active Member

I had the old big bang as well and it never really bothered me fuel wise but the new one seems to take the piss even comparing it to a panagal

11. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

it can average 35mpg on the road, so that's around 100 mile to fuel light with another 25-30 miles in res for the 17 litre tank...very much like my old RR5 blade did. if you want to commute that should be doable at sensible commuting speed, but if you want to rag it as if on track then lets hope you got lots of petrol stations handy ;)

12. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Just wondered why it's a gay thing to ask about fuel consumption on the R1?
    Whatever your sexuality this is one expensive bike to run.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Correct Andy - was a tiny bit better, but never got 35 from it - brilliant bike but not ideal for the distances this chap is thinking of doing.

I used to think 'where's it all gone so fast' - The new MT10 has much the same engine, sub 35mpg yet Yamaha have turned it into a tourer or something = bonkers

14. red

red Active Member

I get 135 miles to the light on my RR5 then run it to about 165 to fillup .. not sure how that's going to look after the new manifold, slip and PCV though :rolleyes:

70-80 sounds ridiculous, I commute on mine 300 miles a week, I'd literally be in the petrol station every day!!!!

15. RepsolPaul

RepsolPaul Well-Known Member

I think it's a good question and info.
    I know as on tour with various bike with friends.
    Vfr800, Rsv, Zx10r and my Cbr1000rr 09.
    It's a pain with different fuel ranges, but hate to be the guy always putting you hand up doing the need to fill up sign !! Friendship only goes so far :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

doing 160-165 km for tank with my MT10 , may r1 it´s a bit better?

17. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

R1 gets about the same, depending on how much you rag it?
    145-170 km to the fuel light coming on

much less on track, but dont they all lol

18. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

19. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Soon find out for myself as just bought 1

The bikes I've seen so far (demo bikes) have been around the 35mpg mark

• Like Like x 3