New rider, new owner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Chance Hooper, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Chance Hooper

Chance Hooper New Member

Hi,

Just did my DAS and picked up a 2007 fireblade at a price I couldn't refuse. I know a lot of naysayers will say it's a bad idea as a first bike to own, but I learned on a 600 and appreciate the jump up from a 125, so am expecting to take it very easy until my skills grow to a point where I can explore the bike more. I rode dirt bikes as a youngster, so am not totally inexperienced and am fully capable of resisting the urge to crank the throttle.

So far, I have given the bike a service and generally tidied her up and I'm already in love with it - so comfortable and tractable for something so blindingly fast and powerful!

I'll no doubt annoy you all with questions as I come to work on the bike, so apologies in advance

2. Zanshin

Zanshin Active Member

Hi and questions are welcome..... ;)

3. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Welcome.
    That model doesn't physically feel like a big bike. Like you say it's just a case of resisting the urge to give it a hand full before you're ready.
    You got any pics?

4. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum

5. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.
    Nothing wrong with having a powerful bike as a first bike, it's up to you how far and when you twist the throttle.
    Just ride within your ability and comfort zone. I would also suggest you avoid going for ride with more experienced fast riders for awhile.

Then when you really want to explore what the bike is capable of, do a track day :)

6. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Hi & welcome..glad you're enjoying your new bike :)

7. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Hi and welcome.

8. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

Hi and welcome !

9. Chance Hooper

Chance Hooper New Member

Here she is!
    Repairing the fairings this week, due to damage from transport, but it's all part of the fun

Attached Files:

10. Chance Hooper

Chance Hooper New Member

Well, my first car was a Pontiac firebird, so I have a history of poor first vehicle choices! So far, I cannot fault the bike.

Once I am comfortable running about on it, I plan on doing some of the training schools (James Whitman or Ron Haslam, etc), then a few track days as way to increase my skills safely.

11. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

Hi, welcome to the forum, good to hear you're through your test.

Take your time getting used to your bike. More forgiving than some 1ltr bikes, but will still bite hard if you do something wrong....

Gentle steps with it. Enjoy :)

12. Chance Hooper

Chance Hooper New Member

That is precisely my plan - luckily I live where we have some quiet back-roads, so I'll stick to them until I am used to the way the bike handles, then gradually ramp up from there. I think the combination of heavy traffic on a commute, 177bhp and not enough experience is a sure-fire recipe for disaster if I were to just jump in at the deep end.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Frankblue

Frankblue New Member

Hi and welcome, love that colour.....biased as I'm a Man City fan ! Safe riding.

14. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

There goes a brave chap, straight onto a litre bike after the DAS lol

Welcome and enjoy mate :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chance Hooper

Chance Hooper New Member

Well, so far so good - taken her out for a few gentle runs and she's a revelation - very friendly and controllable, albeit with an overwhelming sense of menace and potential for going through hedges backwards on fire as the revs climb over 5-6k. As I relax and gain confidence and experience, I'll tend to short-shift less, but safety first I guess!

I'm taking it easy, but I think I'd be just as nervous of jumping on an XJ6 Diversion or Honda Hornet without someone babbling in my ear and a riding school Hi-Vis on - it's just a case of getting used to being able to ride where and when I want without an instructor to follow throwing me off at the moment.

16. Jandy

Jandy Active Member

Welcome along, have fun and be safe !!!!