New to the CBR club...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Stuart Gould, May 16, 2017.

1. Stuart Gould

Stuart Gould Active Member

Hi all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've recently become a very proud CBR 1000RR Fireblade owner. It's my first Honda, it's my first 1000RR, it's only my second ever bike. My ride is a Black 2015 which I picked up with just 3600miles on her. Having just gone to the Peterborough Bike Festival it's now running a few more miles.

I was drawn to the CBR due to it's fantastic following, reputation and stats. I have just come from a Daytona 675 2009 and it's like night and day the difference. Wish I'd had the CBR a long time ago. Daytona was a good bike but my god I love the CBR so much more. Plus I'm hoping the engine won't die on the CBR like it did on the 675!! I'm just about to get the spanners out and break the Daytona and sell as parts.

Really looking forward to enjoying my Blade. I commute 60 miles a day on my bike so I'm sure I'll get to know her quite quickly but already seriously impressed. Not really got any mods planned other than a new pipe as she's quite quiet. The bike came with R&G bungs and a tail tidy so happy with that.

What are the tried and tested and well like exhaust options?

Anyway, that's enough from me. I'm in Bucks (between Bicester and Aylesbury) so I may see some of you about if there's any in that neck of the woods?

Cheers
    Stuart

2. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

Hi Stuart, welcome to the forum. Great choice for your first litre bike. They are fairly easy to ride, but that can lull you into a false sense of security as they're still more than capable of biting you...

You might want to consider a rad guard if there's not one already fitted. They should be regarded as a primary purchase as the rad is quite vulnerable to stones, and very expensive should you need to replace it. There's plenty of different ones around, but it would be £50 ish well spent.

Enjoy your bike, enjoy the forum and stay safe.

3. Stuart Gould

Thanks Nick, Rad Guard is a great shout. I will start my search for one of those. Any to recommend or are they much of a muchness? Cheers for the welcome and advice.

4. Jandy

Jandy Active Member

Hi and welcome Stuart.... there is a guy on here who does rad guards really good quality and not a bad price either it's Dan @RRG

5. Stuart Gould

Thanks mate, I'll have a search and see if I can find him. I never had a rad guard on the Daytona but seeing that I do about 15,000 miles a year I think the CBR would benefit from having one, and perhaps a down pipe guard too???

6. Jandy

Jandy Active Member

Just click on the @RRG and it will tale you to him he is also on eBay I got one of these off him IMG_8436.jpg

7. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

8. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Welcome Stuart.

Enjoy the new bike :)

9. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Great choice of bike and I love the road from Bicester down to Aylesbury, but prefer the road from Winslow to Buckingham - really nice lift off and landing at certain speeds...

For the miles you do if it's not fitted I'd invest in Venture shield paint protection film - I find Black pics up marks quite easily.

Other option could be a quickshifter from HM which will be around £300 but gives the bike a nice bit of bling

Enjoy the bike - you'll be amazed at the fuel range (once you've worked out the weird Honda fuel computer) - the reserve counts UP from 0.0 to 3 litres at which point I think you run out of fuel ( but check that as it might be 2.5)

Heated grips are another worthwhile addition - the Oxford Products sports ones or R&G are both good

10. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

Hi and welcome Stuart !

11. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Welcome Stuart

12. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Welcome Stuart

13. Stuart Gould

Thanks chaps :)

Being an all year bike the protection film is definitely something I've already looked into. My Daytona 675 was also black and suffered from marks and stone chips so keen for this not to happen on the blade. I do have a ceramic finish on it already but its never going to be as good as film for full protection.

Nice to see some locals...that road from Aylesbury to Towcester is great especially Winslow to Buckingham. I live 4 miles from Buckingham and get to ride it a lot. Often over Leighton way too as my wife works over there so hope to see some fellow blades.

Heated grips I probably won't bother with. Last two years on the Daytona and I never needed them (came close though!!). I'm sure they make the world of difference but I hate the looks of the controllers and the extra cables. If like last year when I came close to getting some when my fingers got a bit too cold too often I might go for the heated gloves with batteries instead although a pricey option.

Already worked out the fuel...its an odd counter but I know I have about 30 miles to get fuel from the light coming on and I have fuel stops every few miles on my usual journeys. Why did Honda make it so confusing. Took a few searches to find out what it was doing...

Thought about a quick shift but she clutchless shifts really nicely so not sure I see the point as she's a commuter first and toy second.

Anyway, loving her at the moment. Recent weather has tested her in torrential rain and dry and I'm really loving the way she handles and how the power is delivered. Its so nice not having the wring the neck of a 600 to get some pace on. Seriously impressed so far and I've only done 500 miles so far.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk