Oil On Spark Plug

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by martycochrane, Mar 10, 2013.

1. martycochrane

martycochrane Member

Hey,

I have an 08 fireblade racebike. I've herd all the horror stories with the 08 blade. Burning oil, dodgy clutch, soft gearbox but some people tend to say dont worry about it at all and others believe its a big problem so wasn't too sure what to believe.
    Today I was changing my spark plugs and 2 of them had oil on them.
    I have had this problem before with cars but those spark plugs also had oil above the threads & nut and it was actually the valve cover gasket that has worn and was leaking down into onto the top of the spark plugs.
    This to me might look a bit more like piston rings.
    What do you think?
    Any opinions on what I should do. Ride on until it becomes a problem or get it stripped now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

That oil could be from the rocker cover gasket? The electrode looks normal.

3. scooby

scooby Elite Member

as above,but you'd also notice oil leaking elsewhere,even with a small crack in the cover or split in the gasket it goes everywhere!!!

if it isn't though,then it is more than likely scratched/worn barrels or piston rings (hopefully rings).

is it smokey when running,or when on the gas as thats a lot of oil to be having in the combustion chamber so would deffo notice it.

4. Alblade

Alblade God Like

As somebody who had their engine rebuilt under warranty you need to do a compression test asap - 2 of the cylinders on mine were massively out of tollerance / balance with the others - the rings were shot.

There is a batch of engines with engines built with faulty rings - mine guzzled oil like nothing else till it had the rings replaced.

5. martycochrane

martycochrane Member

Seems to be smokey on startup but once heated up it seems to clear. Think ill take it for a spin and see if its smokey after that / any sign of oil around the rocker cover. Prob get a compression test ASAP. I've a friend who has the gear to do it, any idea if its a hard job?

6. Alblade

Alblade God Like

That sounds just like mine.

Also when changing gear giving it beans big puff of smoke like a diesel and same when revedd to high rpm after a long motorway run.

7. Roly

Roly New Member

Realise this is an old thread, but I have exactly the same issue with all 4 plugs on my 2007 blade. What was the issue here and what was the solution? Cheers, Roly

8. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Hi and welcome to the forum - Got to hope someone else has the answer as @martycochrane hasn’t been active since August 2013