Optimate USB advice

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by thezipsteruk, Jun 11, 2015.

1. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Evening people, I have finally got round to getting an optimal power lead plus usb connector.
    I can finally get rid of my shonky chinese version that has let me down a few times.
    BUT
    the question is, I have routed the fixed power lead from the battery into the little aperture beside the box as others have.....Byt, where the hell did you put the dinky little usb connector?
    or, do you just connect it when you need it?
    I want to primarily power my phone/sat nav on my ram mount.
    Any help or pieces would be great

2. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I have the same Optimate adapter and I have routed my USB port under the tank up to the headstock and cable tied it so that there is enough flexibility in the cable when I turn the bars, but it's still secure.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. thezipsteruk

Im amazed how short the cable is on the USB port, means you have to have all 3 cables connected to get near the bars.
    And you'll never be able to access the USB adapter if its under the tank so I assume you just leave it connected permanently?

4. djmrmagic

djmrmagic Active Member

I have my optimate going into the tail section, that's where my phone normally sits.....if I wanted a micro usb up near the controls, id keep the optimate USB in the rear and get a 2m long USB to microUSB and route it up the bike :)

(PS they wont fit in the optimate, you have to slice a bit of the plastic off the USB end, but it makes it a nice tight fit)

5. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

On my bike the USB adapter "box" sits under my rider seat and the power part is routed down the side (to the gap in the sub-frame) to near where I have the optimate charger port for the battery. I only connect the USB adapter to the charger port when I need USB power. The other end of the USB "box" with the actual USB cable connected (with the rubber covered USB port on it) is then routed under my tank to the headstock permanently. I then only need a very short phone cable from the phone to the USB port.

Since I can access the Optimate plug and USB adapter power plug at the side of the bike, without lifting the seat, it means I can connect it as and when I like.

I'm at work at the mo, but happy to post some pics if you need them :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. thezipsteruk

cheers peeps, if you can snap a couple of piccys that would be rocking!
    Just so I can see how you leave the exposed ends would be great.
    Cheers

7. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

I've got an optimate battery lead fitted so the plug is accessible by removing the piece of trim just under seat. There is plenty of room to fit the USB module and feed the cable up to the headstock without having to remove any other parts. It remains easily accessible with no tools being required for access.
    I'll stick some pics up shortly.

8. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. kirkwall32

kirkwall32 Active Member

Good job mate, but could you tell me what the two cables are attached to the trim please, im just being nosey :)

10. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

It's where the dealer fitted the led for the alarm.

11. kirkwall32

kirkwall32 Active Member

Haha thanks for that, I thought I was missing something.

12. djmrmagic

djmrmagic Active Member

Here is mine, I have the optimate connector under the passenger seat, so I plug my USB connector in there, and plug the phone in and leave it under the seat.

On the odd occasion I need a connector up near the front, I have a 2m USB to micro cable I route up to the front 20150614_171148.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. sinewave

sinewave God Like

USB 2.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. thezipsteruk

Blooming Brilliant!
    Thanks for all the options and pictures, really helpful.
    Like the idea of them being behind the small plastic panels, out of sight.
    cheers everyone that helped :)

15. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

One thing I've noticed is that when I had a standard battery the USB unit was only powered up when the bike was running,but now I've got a lithium battery the unit is permanently live,hence the reason I placed it where I could easily disconnect it if required.

16. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

As far as I know it will continue to charge as long as there is >12.4V in the battery - regardless of if the bike is on or not. Mine is a standard battery and mine continues to charge when the bike is off if I left it connected...

17. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

That's prob the reason I had to get a lithium battery now,the standard one voltage was dropping too quickly.