PCV map, dyno charts and suspension setup

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by callumw, Apr 14, 2013.

1. callumw

callumw Active Member

I was over at Steve Jordan's today and had the bike tweaked a wee bit :)

The suspension was softened a wee bit for road use - or as the mechanic (Richard) said "made a bit more plush"
    I thought it would take a wee while to notice much difference, but after 100yrds I could feel the difference.

I was on a wet road so couldn't push it, but it tracks a lot better and is more forgiving on smaller bumps on the road where the stock setup was much harder and more skittish. He said that as I ride more then it may need a couple of minor tweaks which they can advise over the phone or just pop by and they'll do the changes for me.
    £62 well spent :)

The bike was also dyno'd after I fitted the Akra, K&N and PCV
    I'd loaded the Dynojet map to match the pipe, but could feel it over fueling on lower revs and hanging onto revs after I'd closed the throttle - almost as if it had a choke left on, but at 4k-5k upwards it felt fine.

After the remap it was spot on. It now feels as good as the stock bike did, but with a little more crisp throttle response and it's smoothed out the lump of torque at 3k that caused me a couple of surprise wheelspins in the past

Over the free map from dynojet, the lower revs are leaned out, but the mid + top end are pretty close to what dynojet provided.
    I'm happy to share the map (below) if anyone wants to use it (note: You do so at your own risk)

Here's the dynosheet to see how it ran.
    The dark blue is the zero map - the stock Fireblade fueling
    The red line is the DynoJet map that I'd loaded to match the Akra (M16-002-011.pvm)
    The green line is the new custom map

[​IMG]

Overall - a very happy bunny and the staff at Steve Jordan's were fantastic too which was the icing on the cake

#1 callumw, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Broady

Broady Active Member

Thanks for sharing Callum,I am hoping to get mine done next week as I got the can and filter in just got to fit the PCV and then get her booked in.
    On the suspension side I am also hoping to get it done so when I do my first track day I will get it done then.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clarkey

Clarkey Member

I'm booked in at Steve Jordan's on the 4th may
    I have same sort of issues with fueling so hopefully
    They will sort it
    I have the same set up as you so I would like to
    Try the map

4. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Im not a fan of them tbh, they fed me some right BS a few years back about PCs etc, also a forum member went there a little while back and paid 60 for suss setup, they did nothing more than set it back to stock? Also I rebuilt the forks of that bike a week later and the oil was like glue yet they did not notice while setting up the suss???... As for workshop and remaps I can't really comment other than Im told its all done behind closed doors.. I do believe in "if they don't let you in the kitchen would you still eat the food..." lol

I must be missing a trick too as sag etc is easy to setup and only so much can be done before you need to pull internals and change springs etc etc I do it for people f.o.c tbh I think some people just like the peace of mind of someone checking the settings etc, once they get the all clear the seed is planted and the riders peace of mind equals a faster better package ;)

All my dyno work is sent to HM Racing or DynoTech.

#4 arthurbikemad, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  5. ahmedf

ahmedf Active Member

Interesting Arthur, I was considering a re-map for my bike with them...not anymore.

I purchased my SV650S off them and they seemed OK at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. callumw

callumw Active Member

No worries. The link to the map is in the 1st post (it's a clicky link) :)
    If you don't already know, you need to download the DynoJet software (free) from their website to load it into the PCV and it's really quick to do.

Sag is probably a lot easier if you have 2 people handy ;)
    None of my mates this side of London ride and none of them fettle, so setting up my own suspension wasn't gonna happen :(

It is weird not being in with the bike while it's being tuned tho :(
    I was a wee bit put out at first as I've never not been with cars that were being mapped, but that's the owner's policy - probably for insurance reasons, so I had to respect the house rules.

The girl in reception was saying that when you know people in the bike business then you usually get into each others workshops, but when you're just a customer off the street then it doesn't happen. Was a shame as I was looking to video it on the rollers :(

I wouldn't write them off completely

To be fair the only reason I went to SJ originally is because they're the closest rolling road to me (I'm near Heathrow)
    There's a suspension place that's really close, but that's more faffing about and I'd be going to SJ for the remap anyway so it just made sense to do it all at the same time.

If I get/have another bike in the future then I'd go back to them for my remapping as I was really happy with their service.

Just because you don't see the kitchen doesn't mean the food won't be good :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. arthurbikemad

lol, well your happy mate and what they have done seems good... :)

Dont worry I eat the local chinky and have never seen the kitchen.... thank fk...lol

8. ahmedf

ahmedf Active Member

I just dont trust someone who wont let me see what they're doing...what do they have to hide? They are offering a service that the customer is paying for so whats the harm?

I feel as if they are trying to cover their own asses and IF something were to go wrong then "its not our fault" and you wouldnt have proof to argue.

Its not like what they are doing is top secret and only a few select people can do it, in which case i would understand the behind closed door business.

9. arthurbikemad

Health and Safety mate ;)

HM have a window to watch so do DynoTech :D

Callum you may give me a kick in the leg for spoiling your thread :)

#9 arthurbikemad, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  10. ahmedf

ahmedf Active Member

H&S fine, but like you said too, most people have some sort of viewing area/window...especially all the dyno tuners i've seen.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Si.

Si. God Like

Steve lets me in his workshop, and film the bike on the Dyno...as long as I wear ear protectors. Hehe.
    If I wasn't allowed in, or couldn't see... I wouldn't have work done by them. Simples.

• Like Like x 1
  12. arthurbikemad

My post re SJ is only based on my personal experience and that of another forum member.. Im sure the work they do is up to scratch and I feel sorry for those who spend a lot of time doing jobs and only get slated for the few that don't turn out right, I think we all have off days and things that go wrong tbh I think it's how people deal with the wrong that makes them stand out and I'm sure SJ looks after there customers in the event of any problems. I have no hard feelings for them and sympathise for those rare occasions when things turn bad.. Im just posting the events known to me as a matter of conversation public or not.. I know a few people that have also been very pleased with SJs.

13. callumw

callumw Active Member

I did suggest that to them but I think the dyno room is either too small or badly placed to do it.
    Maybe they will in the future... or even better a webcam so everyone waiting can see the runs on a wee screen in the corner
    That could be a great marketing tool + keep H&S happy :)

To be fair I'd never heard of them before, so I went with no preconception, but in the time I was waiting I could hear how they juggled jobs to try and suit clients and they have a good work ethic. Even when clients were mucking them about (showing up late or mia) they didn't grumble or bad mouth them. Just shrugged and got on with their next job.

Maybe worth a visit back to see how they operate now?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Broady

Broady Active Member

Well I have fitted the PCV and HEL brake lines and the bike is booked in at Chris Gunsters at Grimsby,Dave the operator did my GSXR and he invited me in to watch the bike being done,I will let you all know how I got on.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Not sure why you would pay someone to soften the supension TBH, you can do that easily yourself. I would expect more for my money from a pro (ie, sag setting, options for damping settings based on usage, recommended springs, etc).
    P.S. I suspect you were using a US map from the DJ website (M16-002-011) - US fuel is different to ours. EU maps, the last 3 digits start with a 5. 16-002-505 or 16-002-515 probably would have worked better.

16. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Hi JM1 am I right in remembering you have a Leo Vince slip on fitted.

I have just purchased a Leo Vince Factory R slip on and need to download a map. I m thinking of installing map 16-002-502 and was just wondering if this is the map you are using and if so how you have found it ?

17. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Hi BladeRR8. I do indeed and IIRC I've used the DJ maps for baffle in and out and find them both really good TBH. I've got no urge for a custom map.

18. JM1

JM1 Active Member

I have the Evo II can but it's very similar in construction to Factory

19. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Cheers JM1 I will try that map and let you know how I get on.

20. callumw

callumw Active Member

Because I needed someone who knew what they were doing to set it up and explain it to me.

They did all that

Very possible. I'm sure I got it off the UK website, but it was just to get me by until I got the custom map. It felt fine tbh, but under 4k I could feel it 'hunting' slightly and could smell it was rich at standstill.
    When it was mapped they said the same - it was pretty close from 4k+, but most of their fettling was to iron out the lower powerband.

Surprisingly mpg is still pretty good which is a bonus :)