personalised number plate

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Neill Smyth, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Neill Smyth

Neill Smyth Active Member

Have any of you got personalised plates on your bikes, would like one for the SP.

Just wondering do others have bike specific personalised plates?

2. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I'm very surprised @nigelrb hasn't answered your question yet!

He has private plates on nearly all his bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Well, a man's been sulking after copping flack over his 2mm out tank pad:(.

Yes, I have a selection of personalised plates:D:
    Photo Shoot 3..JPG
    RSV 2..jpg
    Miyagi 2.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

I have thought about it I can get SP19 G—
    Which everyone calls me but can’t make up my mind???

5. Lee Beddows

Lee Beddows New Member

Got one on my car which is J16 (daughters birth month and year) and our initials

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

PM sent!!

7. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Nige if I owned your 2011 blade I would keep it OEM. It looks stunning in the deep blue fairings. With the Chinese fairings on it looks like all bikes with Chinese fairings on- God awful, a quick fix for a bike that has been dropped or down the road.

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Cheers Des. There's always varying opinions on OEM versus personal taste. What sets mine apart though is its outright condition that shows it's not a patch up job. For me it is aesthetically pleasing and a variation to other 2011s on the road.

I do have have the full OEM set bubble wrapped in my loft and this, as I've posted before, presents an opportunity at sale time (whenever that might be) for a new owner to have the bike dressed in either Castrol or OEM HRC. That increases my prospective purchasing audience and also gives me the ability to price a bit higher and then use the second set of fairings (whichever they might be) as a negotiating tool should someone want to crunch me on price.

I think there might be something to be said for us wanting a change, as evidenced by a few current members of late who have done the redress. For me, the 2011 is my 'general runabout' and as such I do not mind blinging it - but with the ability to restore to standard. I would not redress, say, my SP2 or even the RR4, because they 'deserve' to be maintained as original.

'God-awful' might be a savage assessment, but I acknowledge the old 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder' phrase.:);)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Wrong choice of words on my part and a very respectable justification. Fair play to you mate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Yeah, have mine on my bike. It’s the only private plate I have left now :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

Dvlaregistrations.co.uk cheapest place for reg numbers

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. ninjagogo

ninjagogo New Member

I have one on my car & one on my blade, both of mine the first 2 letters made up of my sons initials then 03 on the car and 09 on the blade then last letters are my first name, well a shortened version of it anyway, i tried to get the next sequential number for both but they wasnt available at the time, i'd post pics up of them both but i'm a bit paranoid about divulging my plates on the interwebs.

13. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

This is impressive. You can even try before you buy on the DVLA website.

Attached Files:

14. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

I want the plate L1AMP but I don’t have a spare £25k at the minute lol

15. Lee Beddows

Lee Beddows New Member

How do you get away with that plate?

16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Was my thought too. Probably has the changeover for MoT?

17. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

I change over for MOT. Never had a problem with “the law” with it. Here they aren’t so fussed with bike plates, used to get loads of trouble with my German spec plates I had on a VW in my younger years.

Been stopped on the bike for speeding, nothing was said about the plate. Then when I binned it last week the copper who was on scene never mentioned it. I was then followed by another copper who didn’t bat an eyelid either. Guess it’s just luck. It’s not too offensive; it’s correct size (can go 8x6 for 6 digit numbers as opposed to the standard 9x7) it’s just the spacing is incorrect.

18. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Regarding changing over for MOT, I think I have a good tester, he told me to not bother even putting the baffle in for the RaceFit. Or changing the smaller plate over. His exact words were "If it's not causing a safety issue to either you or other road users, I don't care" He's now got my business for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

My new tester is exactly the same. He says he knows I’m going to put it straight back on again lol. He’s much the inclination as yours. Won’t fail a bike for no pillion pegs if the pillion seat is on etc etc. But is very serious if/when it comes to things affecting safety. Which imo is exactly what you want from a tester/mechanic!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DazK

DazK Active Member

I’ve got a plate on my car, spells my name. It is incorrectly spaced slightly (got normal one as well) but went through a test as above the tester knew I’d bang it back on when I was out the door:p It’s standard size and charles script but no space between letters and numbers and the space on the last letter. Been stopped as I work stupid hours and the rozzers weren’t interested in it, actually used it to confirm my name:D as long as nothing is mis-represented ie plate screws to make I’s and T’s and ANPR reads it they aren’t so asred? Just my opinion of course but bears fruit haha

• Like Like x 1