PGM-FI light on - 2019 SP

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by dmc12, Nov 23, 2020.

1. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

My PGM-FI light has suddenly piped up - no particular reason for it that I can tell.

Came on when I restarted the bike after getting home and opening the gate. Quick on/off and a short ride up the drive and it's still on.

I read somewhere that you can see what the code is somewhere - how do you do that? I went into "SERVICE" in the menu but couldn't see anything obvious.

Any advice welcome! Thanks :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

I have a sneaky feeling @RC45 will know!

3. Fatboy

Fatboy Active Member

IMG_0261 2.jpg this should help

4. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Thank you! Looks like it's not simply a dash operation... might have to go to the dealer :confused:

5. Fatboy

Fatboy Active Member

Its an easy enough operation just a small jumper wire will do it, save you £'s :), and your right we could do with @RC45 on here for his technical skill's

6. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

There used to be an ignition switch + side stand combination to get the MIL to flash the error code. Is that not possible on newer blades?

8. RC45

RC45 Active Member

There are 2 ways the bike will post notification of an issue.

As a current error that is showing a current code and as an informational historic flag.

Current issues will cause a yellow banner to be displayed along with the check engine icon on the lower right.

See one is a current issue, the other is historic.
    [​IMG]

Current issues can be debugged by reviewing the DTC numeric codes displayed in the DTC menu.
    [​IMG]

Historic coded issues will not display the DTC code in the Current DTC code menu
    [​IMG]

In this case to access the historic posted code list, you will need to either use a 3rd party plug in code reading tool or using the SCS tool decipher the flashing check engine light.

But either way, after sufficient ignition cycles the check engine light denoting historic codes will go away on its own.
    You can even try invoke this behavior by starting and shutting off the bike repeatedly. Probably take anywhere from 3 to 5 times.

#8 RC45, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Such a font of valuable wisdom - thank you @RC45!!

Just went back out to fire up the bike and the PGM-FI light has gone out and there's nothing going on in the DTC menu. So whatever it was is now historic. Hope it stays that way!

#9 dmc12, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RC45

RC45 Active Member

You're welcome mate.

And to make SCS trigger events easier, just use an HRC Racing Paperclip ;)
    I'be been toying with the idea of sending one out with each of the mail in ECU flashes I do.
    Speaking of which... I can now cater to UK folks with local Royal Mail services :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Epic tool! So without this does the bike put any events up on the DTC screen? Or does this unlock the historic ones?

12. RC45

RC45 Active Member

So all the SCS tool does is place the bike into a promiscuous mode when the ignition is turned on so you can further exploit funtionlity.

Such as posting the still present not yet purged historic codes by way of Morse code light flashes.
    And allowing disable/enable Quick Shifter etc.

The only time codes post to the DTC screen is if the bike is currently experiencing the error condition.
    If you start the bike while something is unplugged a Current Error code will be displayed.
    If you turn off the bike, plug the item back in and restart the Current Error code will not be displayed as the error has been corrected.
    But the historic code will hang around for between 3 and 5 ignition cycles.

So if you want to know what the code was, you need to use the SCS tool before the code is purged to force the bike to flash the Check Engine Light frantically to signal what the stored historic codes are.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Terence Kierans

Terence Kierans New Member

I have just had a similar problem.
    Will give all the info a try.
    Thanks for the posts guys.