Pyrenees - my thoughts on why you must ride them plus tips / routes / info.

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Alblade, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I know there may be plans to add sections here for Countries but thought I'd start a thread with info. for this area.
    I've been down each September for the last 4 years with a group of mates who have been going since 2003 - hopefully the reasons for these return visits will be clear from the information that follows and it will inspire others to make the trip down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

General information available here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrenees

What to take / carry
    Most of this applies to all trips so will be short. Have comprehensive insurance, if you are third party and write your bike off chance is your breakdown company will not transport the scrap back. Breakdown cover 'just in case' is vital. carry the originals of driving licence, log book and insurance document with you. Breathalyser kits, bulbs, etc are your choice.

When to go
    The Pyrenees are a long mountain range dividing France and Spain with Andorra sat in the middle - as with any mountain area these do have snow / ski areas and while not as high as the Swiss / French Alps from late September through to April / May there is a chance of snow on the highest passes, with some closed completely over winter months.

May / June and September are my suggestions - this avoids the worst of the motorhomes so beloved of the French, the Tour de France which almost always goes to the Pyrenees (although you could always combine it WITH the tour and catch a stage or two on a mountain climb and have a day off riding).
    Even in late September you can have scorching 30'+ temperatures , but if goes cold you could see a dusting of snow on the mountains (very unlikely for anything on the roads)

How to get there
    There are lots of options but the main ones are:
    Short sea crossing / tunnel - quick (tunnel), cheap and still fairly quick (Dover Calais ferry) - however its a long haul down from Calais - more than a days ride, and tolls / fuel / food soon add up
    Mid channel crossing - Portsmouth to Le Harve or Caen with LD Lines or Brittany Ferries. This can me be an easy port to get to, it avoids London / M25. As a group we take the Friday night crossing which sails at around 23:00 - this allows most folk to work a normal Friday and still make the boat, or leave a little early / half day.
    Book a cabin and you dock at 06:30 or 08:00 local time. By using this crossing its possible with a mixture of D roads and autoroute to make it to the Pyrenees for early evening without going day - generally 4 tanks of fuel.
    Long cruise ferry to Spain
    These can be good value, saves mileage on bike, tyres etc. and gives time for a few beers on the boat, plus unwind the next day till you dock in Northern Spain - you are then at the Western end of the Pyrenees. Not cheap but look at total cost of riding down, maybe an overnight hotel and there is not much in it.
    Some like to ride down through France, but take the long ferry back when you are happy to relax and unwind after a good few days on the bikes. It does take a full day and Brittany Ferries the main operator.

Where to stay
    One major decision is stay in one place, or move on after a few days to give yourself 2 / 3 areas to use a base.
    If you stay in one place for a week and there are a few of you renting a ski apartment / Gitte is the cheapest option by far - we generally pay less than €100 a head each for a full week and have use of washing machine / kitchen etc. Just be warned that the French ideas of how many apartment will sleep are very different to what a group of bikers / mates will want - rent a larger unit as extra cost is minimal.
    Try and make sure it has parking although we have never had any problems.
    Make sure its walking distance to at least one bar / restaurant / shop - beer tastes better after a ride out and you want to be able to get home, park up and wander down for food / supplies.

Hotels will vary by price - use sites like expedia / booking.com to locate them in advance, or if traveling in small group and off season you will always be able to find something.

Andorra has cheap fuel, but is quite high in the mountains - from mid September and early May it can be cold at night - so if a few beers outside early evening appeals remember that - not an issue high season.

Suggested routes
    These are all roads I have ridden a number of times - will post link to google maps, and also try and post screen shot to help.
    I have started all at Ax-Les-Thermes - a small town ideally located as a base - its near Andorra for cheap fuel, good routes available from it into France or Spain

Route 1 - a warm up

[​IMG]

This route A mixture of roads to introduce the Pyrenees will give a good introduction to the terrain to expect, but has some incredible sweeping bends, amazing mountain climbs and works well in either direction.
    The route starts with a good climb out of Ax towards Andorra, but avoid the tunnel - watch the junction with road to andorra - its not clear who gives way to who / when where. Stop at the top for pictures. There is a cheap petrol station (Repsol garage) in the border town next to Borg Madame. General roads up to Font Romeu before it decends the mountain, past some giant maltesa's at the side of the road and onto Prades for McDonalds if needed for cheap food (and its air conditioned!)
    Its important to get the Milas to Estagel road - if you are knee down god you will need new sliders , on both knees!
    From Estagel its fast open roads past vineyards - watch out for tractors in september carrying the harvest - busy time of year for them.
    Terrain changes heading through a gorge (which has huge wagons so ride with the thought you could meet one) into Quilan.
    Good place in Quilan for petrol / water before your climb up some stunning sweepers before you head down to Lavelanet and turn towards Tarascon / Andorra to head home

Route 2 - A long day to include 2 of the big Tour de France climbs
    To do this route justice you need to be on the road by 09:00 and expect to get home early evening - its a proper days tour.
    Col du Tourmallet and Aspin

[​IMG]

Route 3 - more a blat than a full map - will try and add it into a full loop

This section of road is well known to bike roads - it rises up to 'Col du Tosses' which is a hugh ski hotel with car park in front of it, before descending down into Spain. This is a real 'high risk' route, its used by large wagons avoiding an expensive tunnel, has warning signs everywhere but is a bikers dream at same time and not be missed if in the area.

[​IMG]

Will add pictures onto the map , maybe video clips too.
    You can take the tunnel, but the mountain pass over the Puymorens is incredible in both directions.
    Will add some more narrative, but the interactive google maps bring things much more alive / easier to follow i think.

Will edit this post and continue over weekend but hope this format and level of information appeals / is of use (and pictures / maps will be added!)

#1 Alblade, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 17
  2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Quality mate - nice one.

Got any suggested routes? Isn't there one road which runs right across the Pyrenees?

3. Alblade

Alblade God Like

The 260 in Spain is well know - all that info. is to follow / be added so fear not. Hopefully will inspire others to write similar -

I will edit post 1 and answer questions / add information to that - keeps everything together then.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

This could prove to be very usefull!

5. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Nice one mate, been most places in Europe on the bike but never Spain / Pyrenees so that would be well handy.

6. lee711

lee711 Active Member

Great post, this is something i'd love to get round to doing eventually. Cheers.

7. kev.b

kev.b Well-Known Member

Going snowboarding in the Pyrenees moutains in Andora in January ! :D

8. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Great to see this getting a positive response - let me know what extra information you would want - thought of adding:

Routes / roads
    Some 'day of bike' / tourist stuff if you want a break off bike

Anything else?

9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Pictures!!!!!! ;)

We love more pictures....

10. Moily

Moily Active Member

Excellent idea and great info, ta.

Been wanting to do the Pyrenees for a while so was looking at that as an option for the next Euro trip, maybe getting the boat down to Bilbao/Santander and riding back.

11. Moily

Moily Active Member

How about a few Google Maps routes showing different stretches of good riding road? That way people can build them up to make their own route through the Pyrenees depending on their itinerary and start/end points.

12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Exactly what we planned this year but left the ferry to late... Really need to book a year in advance to get decent prices, also Kev my pal who has done it always calls them - get much better rates over the phone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moily

Moily Active Member

Good to know, thanks. Will need to sort out what we're doing next year, either the Pyrenees, Mugello, or somewhere else. Always get itchy wheels around Autumn time so will get the urge to sort something out then!

14. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Me too! Called my buddy today a put Dave v on notice for when he gets back it needs to get sorted!

15. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Started to add route ideas today - need to think of a way to photos on maps as clickable items - anyone know an easy way to do this?

16. Alblade

Alblade God Like

both are awesome - Mugello a long haul to get there, I'd fly and rent a car or do it in 2 weeks and enjoy the Alps both ways. Pyrenees is a week / 9 day trip

17. Moily

Moily Active Member

Came up with a brainwave of boating it down to Bilbao and riding across the Pyrenees and Med coast to Mugello! Haven't done the Millau or surrounds yet so may take a detour:

Bilbao, Spain to Mugello Circuit, Via Senni, 15, 50038 Scarperia Firenze, Italy - Google Maps

Did think about getting the AutoSlaap back from Alessandria or Livorno but they only run on Saturdays back to Holland so would need another week so may just do a 3-day blast back like we did after Misano last year.

(ETA: I know that route doesn't hit the the Pyrenees as such - still waiting for Alblade to show us which routes are best!)

#17 Moily, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  18. Moily

Moily Active Member

Not done it myself yet but you should be able to create a custom Google Map where you can add your own photos & vids:

Creating custom maps - Maps Help

Let me know if you need a hand and I'll take a look at creating one.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Alblade

Alblade God Like

OK, the edited map on post 1 is working now - need to re-size down the attached images so they display correctly when the point markers are clicked but now got the hang of it will be good to finish the first one - next challenge is upload some short video clips of a few sections and add that to the interactive / clickable map - have hours / days of footage available!

20. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Ha - just seen that note about routes! Not lost by any means. Looking at the route I think you could do it - its punted you onto motorways and a dull route to s the north of the pyrenees and actually missing them out! If it was me I think I would ride down through Germany / the alps to Italy and Mugello for the race, then head west and get the ferry back at the end to relax / re-charge at end of trip. I think you would really need 10 days minimum for that trip, its a LONG way in total.

• Like Like x 1