Replacing Chain & Sprockets

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by BladeHRC, Jun 23, 2011.

1. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

I'm looking to change the chain and sprokets on my 2011 blade to something like this...

HONDA CBR1000RR TSUBAKI CHAIN AND RENTHAL SPROCKET KIT | eBay UK

I take it there will not be a 'split-link'... so can anyone give me a rough idea of what's involved in chainging the chain or had I better book the bike in.... pardon my thick!

2. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

That's the exact kit I have on mine. No idea how to install it though as the dealer did it. To be honest you'd probably need special tools and rather than buy them may just be easier & cheaper to get it to the dealers.

3. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Not a split link mate, a rivet or "soft" link. I have a chain splitter/rivetter, about £50. If you've never done one before, best to get the shop to do it?

4. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Buy a chain splitter .. Chain and sprockets is easy . Make sure its an X-Ring chain aswell

5. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

Yep like said you need a riveting tool to join the 2 ends together.

Slacken off the front sprocket nut first before splitin the chain. Sit on the bike back brake on and use a breaker bar to undo he nut. If it's the first sprocket it shouldn't be tight. Garages always overtightened them so can be hard to get back off!

A grinder is used to grind off a rivet head so you can push out the roller and split the chain or use a splitter tool.

Also your new chain will usually have a few too many links so grind off the rivet again and remove the excess

Join new chain to old one temporarily and pull thru

Make sure you fit front sprocket the right way round as they're usually offset to clear the casing

The tool will cost the same as the labour to do it so if your not planning in doing alot just get a garage to do it or see if you can borrow a splitter of someone.

6. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

Thx guys... I've changed the length of plenty of trials chains using the method you mention but might leave the chain and sprockets until the next service. I could probably do it, but the splitter kit I've got isnt great and I dont want to make a hash of it... a failing chain has much worse consequences on a blade than on a trials bike!