RR6 : Less Accelleration, More Top Speed

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Tom McQ, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Tom McQ

Tom McQ New Member

I know it's the OPPOSITE to what most guys want, but I'd like to calm down the accelleration of my CBR1000RR6 and reduce the revs at motorway speeds.

What do you recommend I change the Front/Rear sprockets to??

Thanks.

2. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

WHAT?:eek:

3. gixxerjim

gixxerjim Active Member

Faster acceleration with a loss of top speed is going down a tooth on the front sprocket and up 1/2/3 etc on the rear sprocket.

if you go the other way (add a tooth to the front) and/or reduce a tooth or two on the rear it will do what you want.

need a spedohealer to sort your spedo reading out

• Like Like x 1
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Remember though, that it's not wise to change just one sprocket unless the sprockets and chain are reasonably new.

5. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I recommend you sell your blade and buy a motorway cruiser :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Tom McQ

Tom McQ New Member

Yeh, very constructive SimonRR. My "motorway cruiser" is my VFR1200. I was just looking to take a touch of the brutality out of the accelleration to stop me from getting caught out. I believe Honda added a couple of teeth the the rear sprocket of the RR6 over the RR5 - maybe I should have gotten an RR5 :-D

• Downvote Downvote x 1
  7. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Moaning about brutal acceleration on a sportsbike lol:D

8. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

As I said "WHAT?:eek:"

9. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Are you finding it's a problem Tom or just anticipating it becoming one? I'm sure it wouldn't be & seems a shame to spend money on sprockets etc to adjust it. I only ask as I've used the blade for up to 12k a year all weather commuting ( including ice & light snow :confused:) & find it to be one of the most forgiving sportsbikes out there when you need it to be. It's as happy saving fuel bimbling along in 6th on motorway speed journeys as it is ragging it around in 2nd & 3rd :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tom McQ

Tom McQ New Member

Thanks Lozzy, I've been riding 40+ years and I just remember that on my 929 and later on my 954, I found my rear wheel stepping out a couple of times on hard accelleration. It wasn't really a problem back then, but now I am almost always carrying a passenger (new wife, lol) and I'm FAR more conscious of the fact that I'm responsible for more than my own safety. :) I'll see how it goes. The chain and sprockets are soon due for replacement - that's why i was considering making a change.

11. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

hey man it was banter ;) you can do what you want to your bike :D i went -1 front and +4 rear because i craved more acceleration, and it was used a lot on track...but i guess if you want less pull you best up the front cog by one tooth and drop the rear a couple, that will give you +20mph top speed (it wont get there though) and drop the gearing for each gear.

• Like Like x 2