Share you filthy secrets - Cleaning tips, products etc.

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by RedBull, Aug 12, 2013.

1. RedBull

RedBull Member

Share your cleaning tips, products used etc. in keeping your blade nice and shiny.

2. scooby

scooby Elite Member

the rain.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Givover

Givover God Like

Wonder wipes are mint for the underside dirty stuff .I can't say that MUC OFF is the best thing in the cleaning world but just my opinion . Pledge furniture polish to get the chain wax off the back wheel .And ps I am sure there is a couple of threads on the maintainance section which would give you loads of advice.

4. kev.b

kev.b Well-Known Member

I use Muc Off , Pledge , or Mr Sheen , WD40 or Gt 85 . Micro fibre cloths , I always wipe the bike over with a damp micro fibre cloth after every ride .
    Put the micro fibre cloths in washing machine when dirty but dont tell the Wife !! LOL !!!

5. RedBull

RedBull Member

Muc-Off miracle shine is what I use for the fairings, easy to apply, great reviews and not to expensive. products 001 copy.JPG

Although I do love Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel, you only need a small amount which i like. But I have found that it works brilliant on the frame and crank case by giving it a real deep wet look shine.
    products 002 copy.jpg

For getting off any tar, bugs, grease etc etc. You cant beat ASDA multi purpose de-greaser - it's the same as WD40 and GT85 but half the price - I'm never without this its a must in my cleaning collection.

This small sample pot of wax is a product called "Car Spunk" Invented by my brother-in law who launched at this years "Top Gear car show" I'm no wax expert but it is the dogs' bollocks. Its not cheap but its lasts a long time; more info can be found if you google it.
    products 005 copy.jpg

6. raphael

raphael Elite Member

bucket of water,leather,tin of pledge and wd40 for the wheels

7. RedBull

RedBull Member

I hear that 'leathers' can scratch? Not sure if this is a myth or true? I do use a leather on my bike and try to keep in damp by storing in a plastic zip bag between washes.

8. MrB

MrB God Like

Snowfoam to wash and some muc off. Dry with an air line and towel. 3m finesseit to remove scratches and bug splats. Zymol HD cleans to prep and clean the paint then some Zymol Concourse wax to protect built up in several layers. Mr Sheen for the wheels followed by some Zymol detail wax. Paraffin to clean the chain followed by Wurth dry lube. WD40 the electrical bits and pieces + anything that may corrode. Replace the WD40 with ACF50 twice a year.

Think that's it.

9. Torch'd

Torch'd Active Member

WD40..... It cleans the wheels, chain guard, swing arm and frame. It is also great for the inside plastics and over the electric wires and components especially round the switches. I removed the rear seat unit and generally the whole rear end when i got mine home, all came up like new with WD40, and leaves a nice coating even after it's dried. I will be wiping down the inside fairings soon as the coating stops and new crap sticking to everything... I.e Tar and bugs. I have some stuff from the US called 'Scratch Out' and its great on the plastics, removes even those very fine swirl marks that just seem to appear.

10. sinewave

sinewave God Like

11. AABIKER

AABIKER Member

After trying out loads of detailing stuff for my cars I really rate Zaino products (buy online - just google Zaino) - nothing seems to give such a shine. So for the bike gentle jet wash, followed by Zaino shampoo, wash off & dry with Autoglym drying towel. Zaino polishes & gloss sprays are superb for my car but have yet to use them on the blade. Muc-off degreaser for back wheel. Autoglym fast glass for the mirrors. Motul chain cleaner & Motul factory line chain lube.

12. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Tip I got from a Dainese guy I know, wet wipes. Best thing to clean leathers. It works, are cheap and kept my leathers clean for years

13. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Dodo juice stuff is great and I'm trying lots of other stuff. Finish Kare 1000HP sealant is amazing and for £18 one of the best u can get, I rate it up there with my expensive stuff I use also

14. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Think I last washed the Blade in June, and its used daily so TBH guys I am out of this thread :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I've found that my chain cleaning method works quite well. Plenty of WD40 on the chain, let it sit for a couple of minutes and then go to work with a rag. Add more WD40 as needed. It really strips all the muck off it a treat. Then I use water-based degreaser and the hosepipe to get the WD40 off. Then once the chain's dried off I apply Wurth Dry Chain Lube. The chain comes up like new.

16. sinewave

sinewave God Like

See my post previously!

Tesco baby Wipes are even better! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ratser

Ratser Well-Known Member

Using an old sock, with a wee vinyl glove underneath is great for cleaning the chain along with Wurth chain cleaner.

18. JimGreen

JimGreen Active Member

Wash - Zymol Clear Autobathe and using a mitten glove or a soft sock over your hand.
    Rinse - Fresh Water
    Dry - With a damp clean microfibre cloth
    Polish - Autoglym Resin Polish - Using a damp Autoglym Polish Pad - ***However, I am starting to use MUC-OFF Miracle Shine, this is proving to be very good.
    Wax - Autoglym High Definition -Using a damp Autoglym Polish Pad
    Buff Off - Quality yellow duster

Some get mixed up between Polishing & Waxing.

Polish is slightly abrasive and will take out any polishing swirls in the paintwork and leave the paintwork nice and shiny.

Wax seals the paintwork (After it's been polished) and helps stop road residue adhering to the surfaces, assists in preventing paintwork fade from sunlight etc.

And yes, I admit to being a bit anal when it comes to cleaning. I clean the places others don't see.

BINGO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any excuse to post.......................... LOL.

19. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

My bike looks like that for about a month and then i give up. It will never clean like some of these beauties but thats cos i ride it, 10k a year and a few tours and id love to see all these babies still lookin so flash!! Nice bike btw ;)

20. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Me too, can't be arsed TBH!

Keep it three years and then fek it off for a new'un!

I don't spose the diff in trade in price between mine and a 'Garage Queen' bike is any where near enough to justify the time and products spent making it gleam!

Fair play though if you have the time for that caper! ;)

• Like Like x 1