Spark plug change

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by raphael, Jun 4, 2018.

1. raphael

raphael Elite Member

im thinking of doing the 32k service myself but haven’t got into plugs on this bike before, anyone done so and how much of a pain is it?
    Any tips?

Cheers

2. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I'd be interested in this thread too. Looks a bit of a faff, with all the connections under the dummy tank.

3. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

I fitted a quick shifter other week, I'v a hynes manual. tell u truth quite easy, I thought same when I took tank off, u could always take a pic b4 unclipping stuff, be careful when taking tank off there 2 wire attached to tank, use a peace of wood to prop it, till u unconnect them.

4. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

I fitted a quick shifter other week, I'v a hynes manual. tell u truth quite easy, I thought same when I took tank off, u could always take a pic b4 unclipping stuff, be careful when taking tank off there 2 wire attached to tank, use a peace of wood to prop it, till u unconnect them.

5. Odium-fr

Odium-fr Active Member

If you know what you're doing it's not that hard.
    The hardest part is to replace everything and to not forget connectors or hoses under the airbox.
    You need a special spark plug socket too, with rubber inside.
    Don't forget to put high temp grease on spark plugs threads, very important ! I use MOS2 (molybdenum bisulfide) as indicated in the service manual (actually, i use it everywhere as it is very high spec/quality grease that holds very well with high temp and humidity).
    And also very important, don't squeeze it too hard, contact and 1/4 turn is enough ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

The wires only go back in the plugs they come out of. Very simple job. I was nervous when I first pulled the tank cover off but soon get used to them. Some fiddly ones for finding how to release them as are the ones in the bottom of the tank. Once you've done it once tho it's a doodle. Plugs look a bastard to get out tho, I only needed coil leads off for qs and that was bad enough

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. gixxerjim

gixxerjim Active Member

Just a lot of connections to undo and redo, first time I managed to miss replacing a hose at bottom of airbox which threw up a fault, once back on it removed, just make a nte of where everything goes.

re the special tool you can get them out old school with a bit of wire a fishing it out round the head of the spark plug but it is fiddly

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Odium-fr

Odium-fr Active Member

Or you can use a flexible magnetic tool...
    I don't remember if there is a spark plug tool in the OEM tool kit ?

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Should be re-phrased as: 'I don't remember if there is a USABLE spark plug tool in the OEM tool kit ?

Have you ever seen a Honda mechanic use OEM tools?:D

10. raphael

raphael Elite Member

My Honda tool kit is in the box of spares that came with the bike under the work bench lol

• Funny Funny x 1