Speedway

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Mattie660, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I have started reading Tai Woffinden's book - Raw Speed, about his life and career in speedway.

It seems a bit like following football - Exeter - Kings Lyn - Scunthorpe - Wimbledon, and so on. Like following a football team, with away and home matches within a division.

But instead of kicking a "pig's bladder" around :D you tear around on a bike, fuelled by alcohol or something - sounds a laugh, and why don't we see more of it.

Anyone follow a team, or been to watch ?

Might have to go and check it out. Good book (on kindle) in the meantime.

2. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

I am named after a speedway rider and I have been and seen it at kings Lynn
    The noise and the smell is out of this world:D
    I have been to arena Essex as well but there was no atmosphere because of how the track was set up:(
    My son has had a go of it with one of his mates but I’m not sure where he went to try it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

That is interesting about your name - the only speedway name I can remember is Ole Olsen (I think !). Maybe your Dad raced in his day.

Interesting about Essex arena, I will avoid that one then. I am going to look into this and go and watch one somewhere.

When I lived in Tooting I remember being able to hear the Wimbledon speedway from my flat, but never went to watch - always meant to go but then moved away and never got round to it :(

Reading Tai Woffinden's book - your son will have to be fearless !

• Old Old x 1
  4. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Barry Briggs is who I am named after;)
    My dad didn’t race but apparently my uncle his brother was good but chose the girl instead of the bike:mad::mad::mad:

• Like Like x 1
  5. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

King Lynn is good because it is enclosed so you get all the atmosphere, smell and noise.
    Took my dad there for one of our last outings together before he died
    He was doing his normal thing of shouting at the rides ;):D
    Used to do the same at the dogs :rolleyes:;):p:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Kings Lynn sounds good. Funny about your dad !

My dad raced Southern Centre grasstrack and speedway, in his youth. All I remember is him mentioning "Southern Centre" but no idea what club it was, and couldn't have been for long before he moved on from it.

Keen to have a look. I have been to top fuel drag racing - that was awesome. Now interested to check out a speedway event.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I used to go many years ago. Still watch some of it on TV. My real love has transferred to MotoGP, WSB, BSB.

Got to admire their talents though, especially those who get out of the gate last and manoeuvre through the 3 other riders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I used to go and watch Reading Racers who were quite good back in the day, but when the stadium was pulled down the team disbanded athough there has been some talk of building a new stadium and starting up the team agaain.

Anyway, back in the day, I found it a good way to get a racing fix without paying loads of money and having to travel half way across the country.

Maybe I need to go to a meeting again and take a ride down memory lane....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Maybe go and see the nearest club - also it looks like it is going to be back on TV in 2020, coming back into mainstream again maybe. It will be possible to follow a club again - even go and watch a few races home or away matches. I think they said March-October 2020 season coming back on TV.

Not sure what your closest club would be - I am sure you would enjoy it.

10. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

It was always on tv years ago in our house.
    Rayleigh weir was our local track and Norwich had one and keep threatening to have one again but that has been spoken about for years:mad:

11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'd blame the old biddies: 'Ooh, we don't want that racket near our home.'

12. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

The NIMBYs in Bristol complained about the noise from speedway and in the end it was stopped. Shame as I used to enjoy watching it, still remember the first time I went and learnt why no-one else was standing on the bends :)

Karma is a bitch though as the stadium got pulled down years later and replaced with a Mahoosive Ikea building which steals all the light and dominates the area.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Got there in the end after the whole 'rona virus global close down seems to be easing a bit now and venues in the UK are opening up again at last.

Bit of a ride out to King's Lynn (just happen to like the name :rolleyes:) to watch them ride against Belle Vue. King's Lynn were bottom of the League without a win and Belle Vue were either top or second in the League.

About 1,000 people of all ages it seemed to me. - and King's Lynn actually won their first match !

Not many pictures - home team in Red and Blue helmet covers - away team in Yellow and White ..

Enjoyed that !

Kings Lynn speedway (1 of 1).jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. gRRandeelion

gRRandeelion Active Member

Canterbury Crusaders was my local team until the stadium was redeveloped and the riders dispersed across the southeast. We also had local grass tracking the early 60's until - you guessed it - the airdrome was sold for housing. Lydden circuit held grass speedway, a miixture of the two, which featured top riders like Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger, well worth seeing at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DazK

DazK Active Member

Newcastle Diamonds Fan here since about 1978:eek:
    I’ve done some speedway but not professionally. Been up and down the country from Poole to Glasgow and anywhere in between. The best track for racing is currently Manchester National Stadium as there are so many fast lines depending on your set up. Best spectator track for me is Berwick as your only feet away from the action.
    889ECDB6-60BA-4D34-879E-9F3487720409.jpeg AAD7130E-43AB-45CB-BBCA-CE0C36B066CE.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. DazK

DazK Active Member

17. DazK

DazK Active Member

The final leg of the Premiership is on Thursday night 13/10 19:30 on Eurosport 2 and HD.:)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

That is interesting you doing speedway. Round here it is sand racing - you would probably good at that as well. - lots more space !

Berwick you reckon - just had a look at some pictures on the net - I see what you mean about close ! That would be a ride out to go there. Anyway I will park that one in the back of the old Brain and who knows that might come in useful one day. Thanks