Stator or Regulator - or both?!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by SteveBuxx, May 11, 2013.

1. SteveBuxx

SteveBuxx Active Member

Hi all,

Have searched for someone with a similar problem, but couldn't find anything - so feel free to point me in the right direction if i've missed something.

If anyone can offer any info it would be much appreciated :)

Tuesday went to start my bike after taking it out most of Sunday/Monday, turn the key, dash comes up etc, push the start button and... nothing (!) I thought i must have left something on and the battery was flat so i figured i'd bump it and let the battery recharge, although i got to a petrol station 10 miles down the road, push the start button............. nothing..

Bumped again and got her home, tested the battery which was reading 11.7v, thought it cant be holding enough power so ordered a new one.

Installed the new one today, 12.7v engine off and 12.3v on idle. I scratch my head, thinking - 'something isn't right here?' - Checked online and it should be reading 14-15 on idle so left it to warm up to 82c and revved it although it only increased to 12.6v..

I got to work on testing the stator and regulator from some some info off on the net (this is the first time i used the multimeter). So far im not really sure what to make of the results but im hoping someone can shed some light on it from here..

Stator resistance (testing the 3 pin plug connections of the stator crossed over each other) - on the lowest setting it was reading 0.1 and the ground, black cable on neg side of battery and red cable on all 3 pins was 0.2.

I also noticed whilst experimenting with the multi-meter when the bike was running i was getting 45v out of 2 of them and 23 out of the other one.

Any ideas?

2. hump333

hump333 Member

I had same problem last year my bike rr5 I had a lose connection where the wires go in to reg?
    I cleaned it with wet n dry 800 sandpaper (dry) Then pinched them all together so it was all tight. I did go out and bought new reg n battery. Which I didn't need! :(

I done the test on stat n reg the reg has little numbers on it to help to do the testing the right way. My money on lose connection on reg or sta

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveBuxx

SteveBuxx Active Member

Thanks Hump

I will go and check the connections, oddly enough i did clean the bike monday night and didn't start it until Tuesday morning - when it wouldn't start off the button!

• Like Like x 1
  4. hump333

hump333 Member

What year your bike? It might be your battery not holding charge? my bike the clocks when off an then started to splutter. Got jump leads on it got me 2 miles before it done the same hope this helps

5. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

If your bike is a 04/5 then you'll prob need a new alternator as it's quite common to have alternator problems.Having said that you should get about 35-50volts at idle from the 3 yellow wires from the alternator (AC),it enters the Rec AC which converts it to DC and flows to the battery hence why they get HOT.The readings should all be the same so it looks like you may have stumbled accross the fault if they are your readings.My 06 only charges 13.75volts at 5000 rpm but its never let me down .

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteveBuxx

SteveBuxx Active Member

Connected back up and no difference, idling is now reading lower then before :-/.

I heard about the stator being the common fault.. Trying to make sure its definitely it or the reg

Its a 2004, didn't notice any difference in running, only thing would be when i used the indicators it would make the dash flash on and off

Thanks all for your help so far, much appreciated!

#6 SteveBuxx, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  7. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

She's na charging fella. Check the plug from the alternator for green stuff which should,nt be there,then check the other plug for the same. The fact that she,s not putting out the same voltage from the 3 phases indicates a problem. Mr Honda increased the diameter of the flywheel as a mod aswell as reducing the winding size and length wound around the windings to rectifiy this fault.The 06/7 had the later Flywheel n stator windings so dont suffer from this fault. From what I,ve been told the issue gets worse the hotter the engine as the flywheel expands and can catch hold of the stator windings and short out and may even ignite crankcase vapour blowing the cam cover seal outwards thus you also get a oil leak but I,ve only seen one do this. Mr Honda was at one time giving "Goodwill" to alternator failures but you would need to ask your nearest dealer as I think it was up to 7 years from date of registration. At the time it was for Parts Only so you would still need to pay the fitting price.

8. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

9. SteveBuxx

SteveBuxx Active Member

Thanks Haggler - would you know how I can check if it's the reg aswell?

10. hump333

hump333 Member

My is the same at 5000rev to.. If stator gone bike wouldn't bump start up. The fuel pump wouldn't work or injector as not power to reg or battery.

Is the battery water level?

11. SteveBuxx

SteveBuxx Active Member

Ahrite, if that's the case, I'll go back retest the strange voltage I was getting from the stator as could poss been a dirty connection.

Do you have a spare reg?

12. dave d

dave d Elite Member

same happenend to my RR7 the windings overheat n melt Honda dint wanna know even though its a known fault!

13. dave d

dave d Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

No idea what it could be but hope you get it sorted mate and hope its nice and cheap

• Like Like x 1
  15. hump333

hump333 Member

Disconnect your bike battery and connect jump lead to the bike leads and put to your car battery (dont start car) see if this starts your bike off push start if it dose the problem is battery.

I sold my reg on ebay last year stator n regs hardly go, there are bad reports about them but on few bikes not alot to how many 04/07 out on road.

16. hump333

hump333 Member

Ebay item number 110947071654 £59 mate in uk to :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteveBuxx

SteveBuxx Active Member

Cheers all, reading through it all sounds like the problem is with the reg then, still can't explain the strange power outputs from the stator although will have another look in the morning and update.

18. hump333

hump333 Member

Have jump leads on her ? See if she wakes up ?

19. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Hi mate, not read all the reply so sorry if I repeat what's been said already.

You can test all three combinations of the yellow wires for resistance but the windings can vary as restistance is effected by many factors the simple rule is you should have continuity accross all three pairs, next step would be to start the bike and as you've done check the AC voltage of the three in all combinations again, they should show a strong 70+ volts at good RPMs, next connect the reg/rec and check DC output is around 13.2-14 volts, if down in the 12s your reg rec could be faulty, in rare examples of the gen test it's possible that under load it can be faulty, however gen voltage can also be low if the reg rec is faulty if metered with it connected. I did read one of your windings showed a low AC voltage? That for me would show a faulty stator/gen.

• Like Like x 2