Taking bike off rear paddock stand

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by kirk holmes, Apr 30, 2021.

1. kirk holmes

kirk holmes Member

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but i hate doing this on my own. Last week the sidestand caught on the extension lead hub on the way down and forced the bike to tip right. Luckily i caught it in time but it got me thinking if there is a technique when doing this on your own.

I normally lift the stand with one hand while holding the seat cowl but if feels sketchy as hell.

2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

That’s the main reason I got the ABBA stand. Using the paddock on my triumph never felt an issue but the blade is a different kettle of fish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

You could put sidestand down and stand on rhs as you take it off, that way if it falls away from you the sidestand should stop it.

However I still stand on the lhs and hold the cowl.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

FWIW I never man handle the track bike off the paddock stand. I hop on the bike, put one foot in front of the paddock stand, then push the bike forward so it drops to the ground and ride off.
    I must take a video some time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. kirk holmes

kirk holmes Member

Now that sounds like a better idea. Could also put a chock infront of the paddock stand wheels.

6. Empty_Ten

Empty_Ten Active Member

It’s just experience. Once you’ve done it 30-40 times it’s second nature.

I stand behind the bike (side stand down)and grip the pillion seat/seat cowel with my left hand whilst removing the paddock stand with my right hand. Gently let the bike go back on to the side stand whilst keeping the paddock stand in contact with the bike all the way till the bike weight has transferred completely to the side stand.

I do find that having the paddock stand bobbins and the stands with the hooks much easier to use and stable than the stands with the swing arm cups.

of course, doing it all in a level working area with no snag hazards helps as well.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wes

Wes Active Member

Not my favourite thing to do either. I normally ask the Mrs to steady the bike during removal but if she's not around I put a cable tie on the front brake just tight enough to give it some drag as I lower.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I have an ice hockey puck that goes under the sidestand aswell, this makes the bike much more level. It makes it much easier getting it on the stand with the bike level but it also helps when taking it off. The bike hasn't got very far to move when it comes off.

#8 CharlieR85, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

I always stood behind with the cowl in my left hand and stand in my right. Had a few near misses so I got an ABBA stand. Sound now, every time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

Like this and never had a problem.
    I tip the stand forward until the wheel touches down but keep some tension on the stand so the bike can't tip while I stand up straight to reach forward to the bars then roll it forward a couple of inches so the stand's dogs release and the stand falls forwards.
    This is the point where I realise I forgot to put the side stand down so I have to throw a leg over it to finish off but I just pretend I meant to do it that way.

11. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Stand at the RH side of bike Make sure the side stand is down at all time , right hand on cowl ,left hand on stand ,,,,lean the bike against yourself line up hooks and just push down stand ,,,,,,,,, that way the bike can only fall against you or back on to its side stand ,,,,,,, easy

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. R.M

R.M Member

Think you're over worrying on this. Yes....when you do it for the first couple of times, it can be nervy. Don't give it a second thought now. But yes, I do always have the side stand down. Second piece of advice, don't be pissed when doing this.....things can get a bit wobbly. It's one thing I do enjoy.....having a few beers while cleaning bike.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Agree with what has been posted get a ABBA stand so stable and easy to use.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dern

dern Well-Known Member

If the ground is level and you've pointed the front wheel straight forwards there should be very little effort required to hold the bike upright with one hand once you've lowered the bike slowly off the stand. With the side stand down you can just nudge the bike to the left and it'll fall to the side stand. Practice and it'll become second nature.

If you've never done the exercise where you walk around the bike with it off the stand then this sort of exercise will help hugely...

• Like Like x 3
  15. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Assuming you have rear bobins
    to lift I always hold the pillion foot rest on the right and just use is to stabilitse the bike as the stand starts the lifting as the left side lifts first and also control any back/ forth rolling of the bike or stand while this is being done.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

like the video; so much like me, thin, no muscles but much taller which means even harder work:(

17. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Go to the local dealer and get the demo bike...THEN try the walk around the bike exercises, if you drop it..so what :eek:

• Funny Funny x 4