The effect of Brake cleaner on Brake seals!!

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Slick, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Left some OEM brake caliper seals in ACF corrosion block and Brake cleaner for 12 hours.

Left control
    Middle ACF corrosion block
    Right Brake cleaner.

The results speak for themselves!!!. Extreme conditions but just be aware!!!!

IMG_9239.JPG

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. RR7

RR7 New Member

What make of brake cleaner did you use?

3. Slick

Slick Elite Member

It was halford's own out of a can.
    Just had some Wurth cleaner ( the one in a bottle not can) delivered too so might repeat using that too
    Capture.JPG

4. RR7

RR7 New Member

That's really concerning. If we can't assume brake cleaner is safe on exposed brake parts we are a bit screwed.
    Mine is Normfest MC1, I got it from Europarts but remember the lad asking me if I wanted the cheap stuff or proper gear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Slick

Slick Elite Member

I'm servicing the calipers at the moment, I have highly polished stainless steel pistons which are normally smooth as butter to remove but after liberally soaking the calipers with the cleaner they were PITA to remove.

I'll repeat the experiment with Wurth cleaner to see if the same happens.

Incidentally I have exactly the same issues after spraying the calipers in WD silicon spray. Once serviced sprayed the calipers in the stuff, replaced pads and tested, the travel on the lever was massive (this was with a RCS19) which was set up on a short throw. Had to pump the lever to get full braking. Took the calipers apart to find the dust seals had expanded and were being pulled out!

https://www.1000rr.co.uk/threads/tokico-brake-pistons-in-stainless-steel.33942/#post-452412

6. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Checked out Wurth brake cleaner against OEM seals

89ADFEEB-CB21-4D30-B189-349ECCF0899A.jpeg

The bottle actually had a warning!

7CA9152F-19C9-4C91-A7CD-6980401F50D9.jpeg

This is the result after only an hour soaked in the solvent, expanded the same amount as with cheapo halfords brake cleaner

I used to be quite liberal with this stuff, now will use with caution

#6 Slick, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Think I’ll go back to hot soapy liquid and a tooth brush mate:D:D

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Absolutely, water based seems to be safer!

I fecked up a DID chain in 6months, xring started splitting, was using wurth at the time. Wurth chain cleaner is also labeled as brake cleaner, wondering if this was the cause, another test in order!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Yes do a test...
    I use Wurth chain cleaner all the time :eek:
    I've got a cupboard full of it :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. RR7

RR7 New Member

There's a guy on YouTube goes by the name FortNine. He's done some great tests on chain cleaners and O rings. Not exactly brake parts but I bet similar.
    His only recommended chain cleaner was Ipone brand and his best overall chain lube was 80/90 gear oil.
    I use both and have to say the cleaner is mustard, and the oil, well it smells when the chain gets warm but seems to work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Lol, ,,,, ya daft bugger :D:D:D:D:D

#11 Selmer50mark, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Just watched this and very interesting, based on his lube recommendation did use gear oil for a bit but moved on to XCP now.
    Never really thought that much about the cleaner but generally only use Wurth cleaner

I've just changed my chain and sprockets as part of my lockdown service so will take apart a few links to see it it has effected the lube in the sealed areas.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mr_Chin_LK

Mr_Chin_LK Well-Known Member

Being the chain cleaning guru of the forum, paraffin not only works a treat, it doesn't eat away at o rings and is cheap as chips at c.£8 for 4 litres. I've never bought any branded type cleaners for my chain, always used paraffin from boy to the idiot I am now!

A bit off topic, but my 10 pence Wurth, soz.

Chin

• Like Like x 5
  14. Slick

Slick Elite Member

To be fair I've been using Wurth dry lube and cleaner forever and only one chain has been killed prematurely. I don't really count the miles but its normally 2 winters before they need replacing
    The supplier reckoned it was a bad batch of chains and I got a new one under warranty

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Same here I've used it for ages all year round and my chains have always lasted and seemed ok

16. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Slick
    I am not surprised about your findings. I would never soak the rubber seals in brake cleaner (unless specifically told by the manufacturer). In fact I would not use it on anything other than bare metal (e.g disc), cleaning up greasy nuts & bolts or removing tar spots.

I have also stopped using wurth cleaner on my chain because I am not sure of the effect of spraying high pressure solvent onto the O rings; I use kerosen.

I thought you use brake fluid to lube or clean the seals (???). Or the special grease to lubricate

• Like Like x 1
  17. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Yes that's true and I don't specifically clean the seals with brake cleaner just a strong water based degreaser but I do liberally spray the discs when during the bobbins and clean the calipers before re greasing, but I have to admit I'm not particularity careful were it goes.

Normally I use brake fluid on the pressure seal and red grease or silicon on the dust seal but was experimenting with alternatives (ACF corrosion block) as these greases are not particularly resistance to everyday riding. BTW I'm not recommending corrosion block just experimenting.

In another thread I mentioned I used copper slip on the backs of the pads, for reasons mentioned there could be better out there, I'm also experimenting with alternative specifically which are more resistance to my personal detailing regime!

I have stopped spraying cleaner directly on the chain, for the reasons you mentioned, I normally spray on a micro fibre and wipe off, seems to be more effective and efficient. I believe Wurth chain lube requires a very clean chain to be applied, this is why the cleaner is particularly strong, others may leave a oily residue which makes the lube less effective. In anycase I use XCP now which is much less fussy with how clean the chain is.

18. RR7

RR7 New Member

My Normfest is acetone free. I think that is relevant. I'm sure I've been here before and acetone is the constituent that swells rubbers.

19. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Both Wurth in the can and bottle are acetone free too.
    The burb also says 'Good material compatibility with paints, plastics, seals and rubber' just not brake seals lol

20. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I applaud the elbow grease you put in your detailing experiences and sharing them with us:)

I find them very helpful; the do's as well as the don'ts

BTW about cleaning the disc bobins, is it a routine task or to avoid braking problems?

• Like Like x 2