Touring advice

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Stuish, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Hey folks,

Planning a trip next year (June) time and just looking for a bit of blade touring advice.. How painful is it mainly? It will be a decent trek from Hull>Zebrugge overnight and then down to Munich and back in a week, taking in the sights and the twiaties of course.

I've got Ventura racks and a decent bag, but any other bits that will help? Maybe a taller screen?

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Probably the best thing is to condition your body with a few half-day or day rides in the weeks before you set off. Many will recommend the 'double bubble' but I think their advantage depends upon your physical body size.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Like a Nigel said, just make sure you are bike fit then it's a doddle.
    I went to Cologne in Germany on a Friday took 7:15 hrs from Norwich Then spent all day Saturday at the bike show then rode home Sunday 7:20 hrs
    No probs.
    But you can't do that if your arse is not bike fit, so get some decent length rides in before you go.
    Then plan your days accordingly, and regular stops, which you'll have to do every 130 - 150 miles for fuel

I used a standard screen, I'm 6'4" and have never found taller screens any help, if you deflect the wind higher and it hits your head it's much worse
    So as Nigel said it very much depends on your size

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I’m 6’ 3” tall and just over 15 and a half stone. Got myself an E-comfort seat recently and boy does it make a difference. Highly recommend one of those. On the screen front my last blade had the Honda higher screen and it didn’t make much of a positive effect, but the black edition has a zero gravity screen which is higher again and improves things noticeably.

5. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I'm 6ft0" and the zero gravity corsa was a revelation. Creates a nice bubble for you. I also bought a cheap 2nd hand seat and had it re-cushioned and covered, that is a Godsend too.

Are you making it down to the B500?

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. cronester

cronester Active Member

I have heli bars, a comfort seat and honda racing screen on my 2016 SP and they make long distances very manageable ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

THAT is a very good move!;)

8. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys, plenty to look into, for sure I'll be getting a new seat, I did Lincoln > Edinburgh and back again in the same day and no real pain.. Maybe a bit of knee pain but it did rain from Edinburgh to Leeds on the way back.

The HeliBars sound like a great idea, sound easy enough to fit too and look to provide more mountain room for a sat nav. Have you guys got any tips for mounting a sat nav? Doesn't seem to be much room.

10. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

If you use a stem mount such as a Telferizer there is enough room for a tom-tom rider 400 or similar.

11. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

https://www.1000rr.co.uk/threads/what-sat-nav.30991/

There's a picture of my setup in that thread.

By the way, the search function on this forum is pants. What I do is put the search into Google but add "+1000rr.co.uk" into the search bar. That way you get to search for your keywords only showing results off this forum.

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Ordered one just now! Thanks :)

The pro tip right there, thanks a lot! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I can't take credit for the search tip. A real wise old sage mentioned that one to everyone.....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Grayrobs

Grayrobs Active Member

As has been already said, the Honda E-comfort seat is very good if you can get hold of one. As is the Telifrizer stem mount for a satnav. I have also used a 10 ltr Kriega roll bag and tank harness to help spread out the load. Although some people might think I am a southern softy, well, eastern in my case, a pair of heated grips are nice on long days. I had the genuine Honda ones fitted as I preferred the integrated controller in the left hand grip. Although others have criticised them, I have had no problems with heat levels. I have even used them on early or late season track days with race gloves. Ummmm, toasty.......

15. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

I have fitted an adjustable screen extended by MRA which attaches to my MRA double bubble.

It can be raised, lowered and angled as required and it makes a huge difference on the motorway.

I keep it up for all my riding as I find it looks pretty good, but for those who care more than me about aesthetics, it can be removed or folded down and out the way very easily.

Fitting is easy (took me about 30 minutes) and cost is only about £65.

Link to product below:

https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MR...MIrKGzp_ih3wIVGud3Ch3iRQXgEAQYAyABEgJWWfD_BwE

Hopefully the photos demonstrate that it’s a pretty subtle modification that really improves comfort.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. John Onesider Junior

17. ninja

ninja Active Member

I only tour on my 2010 Blade, I don't ride it much in this country, if at all.
    We go down to Portugal, France, Spain, Italy etc. Some days I've done over 700 miles. I've done 45000 miles of touring on this bike.
    The standard seat is fine and one of the most comfortable I've ever had. I've got the Honda high screen on which doesn't make much difference unless you're high speed cruising on the Motorway to get where you want to be.....so essential.
    Luggage is more important than anything else in my book. If you've got a Ventura rack, get Ventura bags to go on it. No faffing about with bungies or elastic rope and the only part of the bike the bags touch is the pillion seat.
    I also use a Givi clip on tankbag. Again it doesn't actually touch the bike. Fantastic things.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Not looked into a givi tankbag might be worth an option, oh for the ventura stuff I was sorted already, I have their biggest bag to go on the rack. Thanks for the reply though, all good info :)

19. NBB

NBB Active Member

2010 Blade with std bars, pegs and seat loaded with my Venture luggage just outside Hull before boarding. Off at Zeebrugge and down to Clervaux in Luxembourg. Then spent 3 days in the twisties before heading back. No problems at all in terms of comfort. The blade was perfect for the trip.

10741392-D8DD-4C85-B8A2-93AA2B8F7782.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Standard trim with a Telferizer sa- nav mount and Hepco & Becker Sportrack. The bag was mostly held on with Cable Ties.

Here coming back from Misano GP

Cemoi chocolat.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1