Touring West of France to Northan Spain

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Remal, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Ok just booked to go with a few mates over from Portsmouth to Saint Malo travel down the west of France to Santander in Sept. Then back on the ferry. We intended to do a return to Santander but the price was very hight.

Outward sailing, Portsmouth to St Malo Wed 7 Sept 20:15

Return sailing Santander to Portsmouth Thursday 15 Sept 15:30

We are hoping to get most of the miles done in the first 2 days taking our time (approx 540miles). and will be using hotels, B&B's and camp sites as we go. All in all we are their for 7 night and 8 days.

I have my Cargo bag which will be enough for what I need. going to take small tent, Sleeping bag and mat. Both of which I have and are very compact. Other than that its just clothes, toiletries and money, cards, passport etc.. Any other suggestions?

Can anyone recommend camp sites, B&B's/Hotels on the way and around Northan Spain, as we will be spending the rest of out time around this area.

Also Anything worth visiting on the way down? We don't want to go to far off out intended route.

I'm going on my Fireblade and friends are taking a Lotus S2 and locost 7

thanks for reading

#1 Remal, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. largeviking

largeviking Active Member

All French towns have a provincial camp site which is subsidised, i.e. cheap (10-15 euros for 3 people, 3 bikes and 2 tents). These are normally well sign posted. They have all the basic amenities. Remember their supermarkets are shut on sundays, you can still get petrol from automated stations. In Spain sites near coast are expensive (30-60 euros for above) particularly in North East. Food and petrol are cheaper than France.

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Was thinking once we get into Spain to do the west coast. The guys I'm going with have been before and said it was much cheaper in Spain then France as you said for many things

4. largeviking

If you like red wine, Logrono and Haro worth a stop, about 30 miles south of Bilbao.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I like any wine. cheers another to put onto my "to look at list" cheers

6. andybow

andybow Active Member

7. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

Have you been abroad on the bike before .....just thought to ask incase you need any more info

8. matt

matt Active Member

Keep some euro's handy in your tank bag for the toll roads,
    When we went France we used just drive to a village and head to the tourist information and they would tell us which hotels/ b and b's where good and tourist friendly,
    I'm not sure if it's on your route but the milau viaduct is worth seeing.

9. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

10. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

11. Brym

Brym Active Member

Consider using some of the D roads. I used them to get to Le Mans. I avoided the tolls, the roads had low traffic and you could still go at a good pace can be more interesting than the motorway even if its just for a few miles to brake up the boredom.

#11 Brym, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  12. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

will be doing a mix of various roads.

13. largeviking

Often find D roads quicker, particularly when Mways busy and queues for paying. Need to avoid automated paystations, they assume you are a car and charge at their rate. Fuel more expensive also on Mways.

14. jozefharkins

jozefharkins Active Member

Dordogne rental houses which are located in France, are the best selection for your lovely holidays. French, English & Dutch people like them very much. There are many facilities to do any activity that can relax your mind and you really enjoy the atmosphere and nature around them. Dordogne is well known due to its tasty food and different tastes of wine.

15. Brym

Brym Active Member

Its always usefull to find more places to stay but
    looking at your other 2 posts it looks like you are just advertising for your web site and have no interest in motorbikes???

16. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

And I'm keeping a eye on that brym also :secret::tea:

• Like Like x 1
  17. crin

crin Active Member

We did the west coast, up to Andora, down to Barcelona, back over to south of France and up to Paris. It was hovever, on a very different Honda, a 125cc Honda spacey ( with a pop up headlight )!! And all that distance was with two up all our luggage and a tent!

It was a fantastic trip with some breathtaking sights but would love to do it again on a proper bike.