Track Gearing

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by PabloPirate, Mar 13, 2020.

1. PabloPirate

PabloPirate Active Member

Just wondering what gearing people are using at the track? Donington, Snetterton, Cadwell, Oulton etc.

Bike is a 2017 model, currently standard gearing 16/43.

Cheers for any info.

Pablo

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

46 Rear & 15 front on a 2006 FWIW.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

If you change the gearing don't expect any of your electronic rider aids (or QS) to work! But maybe that's fine on track if you're happy with that.

4. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I changed my gearing on my R1 for track, no problems with all the Electronics at all, but i only went -1f +1r and tyre changed from 190 to 200, is the Honda package more prone to gearing change then?

5. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Dare I @RC45 ? :eek::D

6. RC45

RC45 Active Member

And the point?

The R1 is not the Honda.

The R1 has a calibration feature, the Honda does not.

Still not sure why this is still a question 3 years later. lol

I see what you did there LOL ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Thought the point was clear enough! "is the Honda package more prone to gearing change then"?

Clearly by your answer, it is, a simple YES would have sufficed :D

8. RC45

RC45 Active Member

There is no "more or less"

The Honda has NO capability to be calibrated for gearing changes by way of tire/tyre or sprocket or actual gearbox internals - none. Period.

Any correct functionality after a gear or tyre/tire change is purely luck of rpm/speed/lean angle at the moment of shifting still allowing the measured wheel speed and actual counter shaft speeds to be within the margin the ECU is expecting.

The R1 and others have a specific calibration process that accounts for any changes the first time you roll out after a tire/tyre sprocket change.

Honda not only document this in the service manual clearly stating that any QS, Autoblipper or TC issues experienced when NON standard sprockets or tyre/tire sizes are fitted are to be addressed by changing back to stock and call it a day.

Ten Kate also determined this to be the case the first time they took the bikes out testing when they were waiting for the HRC ECUs in February 2017. Autoblipper is all fucked up at race speed when tire/tyre/sprockets are changed and the TC is rather unpredictable at race speeds with large diameter slicks.

Switch to the HRC ECU that uses the same TC engine and low and behold simply being able to tell the tyre/tire diameter withing 5mm and everything works as expected. A little birdie suggested to me that the Autoblipper issues experienced at the NW200 and TT in 2017 with the early HRC ECUs were calibration related.

There is no debate here. None. The fact that for some people say they don't experience issues with the Quick Shift/Autoblipper system after gearing changes is pure dumb luck.

Hell I have an SP2 here with 1 tooth down front and stock rear sprocket and I experience no issues puttering around at illegal B road speeds. But when a regional champion racer gets on the bike and thrashes it on track its all sorts of fucked up.

:)

#8 RC45, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  9. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Do we know if the 2020 blade has the R1 type electronics then for gearing change or same as the old blade?

10. RC45

RC45 Active Member

I hope to Christ that Honda have pulled their heads out of their arses and have an auto roll out calibration for the street bike, but when I asked, the mumblings I got back were "thats what the HRC Kit ECU is for". *smacks head*

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. PabloPirate

They should work, fingers crossed. I had the loom and ECU updated by Ten-Kate. Allows me access to the sports menu. Or does this not do what it says on the tin?

The QS and Blipper didn't work 1st time out because I fitted a LHS 4 button switch from BSD, ECU is not seeing the correct info. BSD are now making a 7 button item to hopefully correct this. Just another issue to rectify.

#11 PabloPirate, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  12. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Don't give the street bike guys false hope. what you got from Ten Kate was the HRC ECU image flashed to your ECU.

Next thing you'll have the street bike guys paying for the flash then get angry when they realize no lights, ABS or Ohlins plugs are on the wiring harness LOL :)

As for the buttons, just use the stock switch gear, should work right out the box.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PabloPirate

I had purchased the BSD switch gear to clean things up, as initially I thought I had clearance issues between the fairing and switch gear, however this was down to the clipons being to low with no adjustability (Now resolved with some PP clipons and 28mm rise). I've also have a jet prime for the RHS to go with the HRC quick action - not fitted as still using the original.
    Just done a trip to Andalucia to test the bike unfortunately I'd left the original LHS at home. But as she stands she's a good piece of kit. Turns well and enough power to match GSXR's, did loose out to R1's out of the turn, gearing will sort this.

• Like Like x 1
  14. harrys123

harrys123 New Member

What gearing did you end up with also riding same track in the uk and looking to try different gearing from stock?

15. PabloPirate

I'll check my notes and get back to you.

16. harrys123

harrys123 New Member

Much appreciated

17. plumcrazybee

plumcrazybee New Member

Granted I'm is the USA, but if you're interested in trying new gearing and want to swap to a 520 chain/sprocket set up, I can sell you brand new Renthal sprockets cheap as hell. I posted pics in new member forum, but they are aluminum Renthal rears, steel fronts. Have new RK chains if you need one. Also stupid cheap.

I know shipping might suck, and don't know anything about your jacked up tax rules. Still might work though. And I have rears in 40 thru 47 teeth, fronts 14 thru 17.

Can possibly get you set up with a few different sprockets cheap enough that you can play with gearing?

Attached Files: