Translogic quickshifter installation - help please

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by ccr32, May 8, 2016.

1. ccr32

ccr32 Active Member

Recently took the plunge and bought a Translogic quickshifter. It's arrived and I was going to give it a go fitting it this afternoon, however it's not clear to me which plugs on the quickshifter loom plug in to which cylinders - they're not numbered and there is no mention of which colour wires go where in the instructions or anywhere else I can find on the interweb.

Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction?

Will upload a photo in a moment showing the cables I have on the quickshifter loom.

2. ccr32

ccr32 Active Member

Here's the photo

Attached Files:

3. dansp1

dansp1 Active Member

it will be self explanatory when you get the tank off, colours will match existing cable colours, just split the standard plugs and put the q/s inline

4. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

Hi, if its the same as my hm plus I just fitted then the set of four pairs,one white one black go to the coils ,take off side panels,fairings, the tank cover,tank,airbox top, air box bottom and a hundred connections and you will see coil connectors like yours.unclip one at a time and join up...it does not matter which coil order, it shuts all coils together it seems.,,
    the copper ringed one is ground,earth,,maybe on same cable live,,,then you need instructions on the other one,or two

5. ccr32

ccr32 Active Member

So managed to get a bit further with this and spoke to a helpful chap at Translogic yesterday who confirmed what was said above in that it does not really matter which connectors go to which coils - the Translogic loom is in pairs, so simply connect one to 1 and 2 and the other to 3 and 4 - one is handily longer than the other so make your choice depending on your routing of the cables.

Getting to the coil tops is another matter - not sure I've ever seen the bike in such a scary state of disrepair! Just wondering if I can remember how it all goes back together now... :)

IMG_20160510_204441.jpg

6. ccr32

ccr32 Active Member

Just to add, there is one part of the manual from Translogic that speaks to possibly having to switch the cables over in one of the connectors (indicated with yellow dots on the connectors on the Translogic loom) but again the chap said he doesn't think that is necessary. Checking the service manual for the bike, it would appear it is the Black/White wires which are +12V on each of the coil plugs (there is a Black/White on each one) on the standard bike loom, as opposed to the others which are different colours and I guess are the signal wires from the ECU...

Here's the page from the manual I was looking at, trying to recall GCSE electronics from many many moons ago..! Am I right?

Untitled.jpg

7. ccr32

ccr32 Active Member

And the bit from the Translogic manual...

manual.jpg

8. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

I managed to leave tank on, stood up, and airbox base moved over to the side,,,i also had to go all the way back in because one coil wire connection had pushed out the back of the socket,,damn, I swore..

9. Leroy preston

Leroy preston Member

Hello mate, I don't suppose you managed to complete? Tried fitting translogic yesterday and it's Misfiring. Can you confirm what connectors go to what cylinder? Thanks

10. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

I just lay my hm one across the cylinders from clutch lever side(end of cable) to throttle side then the cable ran along to my battery for earth and back Down to the gear lever. The clips just kind of fell into place so coils could only go on in one order. They kill all 4 sparks at once so dare say order is irrelevant. I put earth to the battery and the clips on the coils have to click when they're fully plugged in. Took me around 3 hours total and it was first time I've had tank or fairing off the bike, I did switch on to check powe to the qs unit before the plastics went back on though

11. Leroy preston

Leroy preston Member

Iv already fitted it but problem I have is the bike is misfiring and a large flame is shooting out. Iv either left a coil unplugged or the are plugged into the wrong coils. Now have to take it all apart again

12. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

I reckon your right you'll have a clip come undone probably not clipped in fully then pulled back out during rebuild. Check your earth while you're in there just Incase (although a bad earth would likely stop the unit powering up at all)

13. Leroy preston

Leroy preston Member

Just bloody ball ache, the shifter was working the bike was just running crap! What a day done the plugs and air filter. Tbh I'd just like a comment from someone who's got a translogic to put my mind at rest!

14. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Are you sure the wiring is correct on the plug with the yellow sticker? When i spoke to translogic about fitting my mates zx10 is4 to the blade the main point was getting that connector right.

Ground cable bolted up tightly?

15. Leroy preston

Leroy preston Member

I didn't change anything and I connected in order they were laid out.

16. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I had to change the position of the cables within the yellow dotted connector but as I say mine came off a zx10.

Had mine running past the right hand side of the airbox if sat on the bike, the longest connector went to the coil furthest left on the bike. Think the yellow dot one was pot 3 from memory.

17. Leroy preston

Leroy preston Member

I placed these in the order shown from the clutch side of the bike.
    I appreciate you taking interest mate it's been doing my brains in lol

Attached Files:

18. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

God know what i was doing with mine then lol. Worked flawlessly though.

It will be something simple. There are alot of connections to reconnect putting it all back together. As said, you may have one thats not quite clicked together properly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Leroy preston

Leroy preston Member

Iv got a funny feeling when I plugged into the coil Iv loosened the connection.

Because when I went for a test ride it was lumpy then I knew it was misfiring. I used the shifter and it worked. I'll have it apart gain tomorrow. Hopefully I can settle it lol.

20. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

You will get there mate. Its a pain in the arse job but its so worth it.

• Like Like x 1