Tyres for touring

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Remal, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

So suggestions.

I need some good tyres for my Sept trip. Will be fitting in the next week racetc scrubs but going to fit some new tyres before my trip.

Thinking Dunlop Sportmax Sportsmart

thoughts? anything better?

2. fisher

fisher Active Member

I'd go for Michelin Pilot road 2, you'll get loads of grip and more than enough miles on them

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

How do they compaire to saythe 2 CT's as I have used them in the past and been impressed

4. fisher

fisher Active Member

I have used both mate, I had a 2CT on the front and a Pilot road two on the rear, I was getting round 4k out of the rear, loads of grip,really stable going through very fast sweepers [150+] wet weather knee down was not a problem either, when these poxy 015's run out and it won't be long thats what I'll be getting.

A few mates go for the latest sticky rubber, and too be honest its all rather pointless [unless track riding], one of the lads who has a BMW S 100RR is getting around 1,400 miles to a rear

5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

My BT 015 that came with the blade is shot at 1600 miles now. I will be putting on racetec's scrubs for my trackday and summer riding then change to touring tyres for my trip

6. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I think there is a Pilot Road 3 now

7. jozefharkins

jozefharkins Active Member

You must use high quality tyres which can helpful to complete your tour

8. JD

JD Active Member

And make sure they're round and if possible, black lol.

JD

9. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Do you remember the coloured tyres a while back

10. JD

JD Active Member

Think so, gross.

JD

11. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

:tape: .. :bad:

12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

mate, ive had 2ct's and diablo rosso corsa's as fast road tyres / odd track day and used them for touring, will go through a rear (3000 miles in a week) but why compromise on performance for a touring tyre...

it'll be the best riding you do all year so if you can spare the cash its worth being on what you know and like!

• Like Like x 1
  13. damodici

damodici Active Member

I'd say the diablo rosso corsa are pretty good.

Have them fitted to the blade and RC8 and I managed a trip to the ring and back on the RC8 using them and there's still plenty of miles left in them. Also ran the blade at donington with them and had a hoot, I'm more used to running racetecs at track days and have a set in my garage but couldn't get them changed in time, went out on the rosso corsas and apart from a nearly high side moment (bit eager round Melbourne loop) they performed fine at a decent pace.

14. dan.1moore1

What kind of milage you getting from them thou mate? 2 of the boys with us aint got 2000 miles from them , they are giving them a hiding thou

15. damodici

damodici Active Member

well, from the looks of my last track day id say ill kill the side walls pretty quick if i kept that up, not a lot more than i would get from a racetec but to be honest that's par for the course i guess

as a rule i only ever used to put on racetecs i got from a crew at bsb (part worns) when i was tracking the R1 and id get a good 3 days on track from them where as the blade will do both road and track so ill probably be better off swapping tyres the week of any track day if i can be arsed and then putting my road set back on..... is it worth buying another set of wheels i ask myself? probably not..... £500-£600 on average so at say £25 swap out each time id need to do a lot of track days.

HOWEVER, for road riding the Rossos are fine mate, when we first started doing euro trips we'd do the 'hike' to the ring on our usual road set up pressures which were set for feel and our personal tastes, but what you'll find is not matter what you'll start to square a tyre off simply by doing that kinda long mileage at decent motorway cruising speeds (swift progress for a 500mile trek before you hit decent bends)

The last couple of times we've done the ring what we've tended to do is actually put the pressures up for the main bulk of the trip to the higher end of manufacturers spec, they always set them high & hard anyway so its not over inflation but it just feels that way for my personal taste.

That keeps the tyre rounder and harder in the centre where the main belt is and then when we get to the destination and get rid of the bags we drop our pressures again back to what we normally run on the road and again further if we do some ring laps although dont go as low as track day temps cos youll not be fast enough round the ring to keep them hot enough.

Im rambling now..... mileage you say? dunno, havnt knackered either set yet and the RC8 has probably done 1.5k - 2k with them on

16. dan.1moore1

Riding style is a major factor . Im just starting to get into all this tyre compound , tyre pressures etc stuff and its amazing how many factors you need to take into account . Interesting stuff though