V4 Time.....farewell to the Blade

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by R.M, May 30, 2021.

1. R.M

R.M Member

After 19 months & 15k miles, it's time to say goodbye. Why? Life's too short to stick with one bike & always wanted to try a Tuono V4

Put a deposit on this today. Definitely a heart over head purchase.
    2 reasons for going RR over Factory.

1. Cost!!! Think 3k more for Factory & colour scheme not to my liking compared to the 17 model. No interest in all this suspension wizadry. I have never adjusted a suspension in any bike I've owned.

2. The 2021 RR model is a more road focused bike. Taller screen (not sure I like it, may swap it out if possible), larger rear passenger seat. Might take the missus for a spin??

3. Prefer the simple white or silver colour scheme.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=i&url=h...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

Traded in the 2014 Fireblade which has been faultless over the last 20 months & 22klms.

Always wanted a naked bike & had it boiled down to 4....

Aprilia V4 1100
    Yamaha MT-10 SP
    Triumph Speed Triple 1050 RS
    BMW S1000R

Reason for ruling out the other 3 were...

Yamaha....thirsty as fuck,,,,,,,yes the Aprilia is only slightly better, but I wanted to experience the V4 over the Jap varient. Not 100% convinced on the MT10 looks, but would have gotten over that for it's reportedly mad character. Build quality was questionable according to online reviews. None available to order as new model due out. Would have been cheap to service & parts readily available.

Triumph Speed Triple was a close 2nd contender. Having never ridden a triple & reading about it's high build quality, the STRS was a high runner, except that no QS for fitted as standard. Also lacking in the HP dept @ 148
    The new 1200 RS was out of my league. Bike would be reliable & parts easily available.

New BMW S1000R. Looks good. Reviews seem to rate it highly, but quality seems to be lacking & very mundane/boring. Base model is reasonable at €15k................yes I know €15 is not cheap....but nothing is nowadays. But by the time you spec it up, you're looking at 17+k and even 19k. Servicing could be dear with main dealers within warranty period.

So, I planned on visiting all these dealers to see what I would get on a trade.
    After 1st visit to the Aprilia dealer, the trade offer was too good to refuse.

So heres to many restless days of possible frustration, but if she goes as she's supposed to go, then I'll surely have a smile on my face.

From reading the Aprilia forums, the new Tuono already has ECU problems, so I've a headache before I ever sit on the bike. The valve clearance check is @20k & costs around €700 & if the valves need adjusting, then €1000.

So here's to probably the worst & most expensive mistake i've made so far. If you see a balding, beer bellied miserable fuck, sitting at the side of the road with a new Tuono......................... don;t stop....pleaseeeeeeeee!!!

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Owen2737

Owen2737 New Member

Seen you on Biker.ie...Best of luck with it:)

3. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Sounds like a plan and you end up with a Tuono at the end of it !

I had the MT-10 SP but would not buy one now as you say a new one is likely anyway - great bike though.

Bought the MT-10 SP instead of the S1000R that I had my heart set on - mostly because the local BMW dealership did not seem particularly interested in selling anybody anything and were even less keen on doing any kind of trade in.

Still, will likely get a used S1000R at some stage - not given up on the idea of that yet ;)

Also nearly bought a Tuono back in 2016 ? one of the blue ones - but Tuonos are rarer than hens' teeth around here and the local dealership only stocks the little Aprilias not any of the bigger bikes.

Nice to have such a decent choice of options - and posts a few pictures if you can - good luck with it. ;)

4. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Active Member

Like you say buddy, life's short and it's another tick off the "should I" box. Look forward to pics and a review.

5. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Mates just bought the factory, nice piece of kit:)
    194392970_1036888683384677_7526020295453273833_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

Nice one. The Ape V4 is a great engine.

I've run a few Aprilia's in the past (I won't mention the latest one ;)) and never had any major issues. I kept one for 4yrs and only ever spent cash on tyres and servicing. It's worth spending a bit more time showing it some love and keeping it clean, than you would a jap bike and a few dabs of ACF50 on the nuts and bolts is always worth it.