Valve adjustment

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by mickey, May 25, 2019.

1. mickey

mickey New Member

hi all just a quick question can anyone tell me is there any way of telling I need my valves adjusting on my 2005 cbr1000rr it’s done about 22,500 miles

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Should have been done at 16,000. If you have no history on the bike it will probably need doing. Can't always tell by riding, especially if you have nothing to compare it to.

3. mickey

mickey New Member

Any idea how much this would cost ??

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Generally around £350 to 400 depending upon parts required. Had mine done a few months ago.

5. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Depends where you take it mate? A complete valve service can be between 400-600 but if like me you want just the valves it can be as little as 200.
    You can take some of the fairing off to save some time/money but to be honest mines had its 32k service and still none needing changing.

6. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Took my 918 up to 34,000 before it was checked :oops: , it was well within tolerance
    Cost £100 with carb balance, ,,,, but they are an easy bike to work on ;)

7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yeah, but prices have risen since 2002:D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Jez

Jez Senior Member

When I had my car in to main dealer for a service and valve check years ago it cost £200, a couple of years later I did it myself, a few shims wanted changing, I went back to the main dealer and asked for some shims, they said they don't keep any they order in if needed. I felt robbed I think unless it is a mile out they will not change any. ( not all stealers are the same )

9. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I took my 11 up to 50k...never checked...seemed ok :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grooveski

Grooveski Active Member

I've gone for years of a mind that it's the first couple of clearance checks that are the important ones. The bedding-in period.

At my bikes first service one gap was tight but it was noted that lots more were also near the limit.
    Sure enough, at it's second there I found half to be on the tight side with three of them out.
    The other half were bang on middle of the range.
    Shuffling around a few of the tight ones brought them into line and my local mechanic swapped my old for new on the others.

So now all but one are middle of the range and that last one's gap is on the open end.
    ...and I'm into the kind of time that I could probably be lax with checking them.
    ...or more likely they'll get checked but be fine, which in itself is a nice state of affairs.

A mechanic who used to do the wee zxr for me always gave me the size sketch that you do with before and afters. That was a nice touch that I reckon they should all do. A simple comment that "the gaps were fine" doesn't really allow a history to form.
    When I took to doing them myself I ended up getting a little obsessive. Last time round I mail ordered from an MX shop in Holland that sell 0.01 increments, just to bring the last few into line with all the others, rather than do the usual hop from tight to open.
    There was no need for it - it just looks nice on the gap sketch. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1