Vosges Mountains & Swiss Alps Tour

Discussion in 'Pictures & Videos' started by mattmk1, Jul 6, 2016.

1. mattmk1

mattmk1 Active Member

Firstly, feel free to move this into 'touring' if more appropriate.

September 2015 saw me lose my motorcycle tour virginity with a trip into Northern France. 5 Days playing on the quiet roads that danced across the Belgium Border and sliced through the Ardennes. The fireblade was faultless, and the touring bug had bitten.

Once home, planning commenced and tickets purchased. June 2016 would see us go further east, and into the Vosges Mountains.

The first night saw a steady ride into Reims where we crammed into the worlds smallest hotel room, the next day onto Belfort, our base.

The First day of luggage free motoring saw us tackle much of the famed Route des Cretes, smooth flowing roads, mapped into a 5 hour ride in a convenient loop of deserted country lanes.

[​IMG]

The weather stayed dry, the scenery delivered.

[​IMG]

Lunch was (un)planned until we pulled in for the Harmannswillerkopf national cemetary for a moments reflection.

[​IMG]

The afternoon saw us reach the grand Ballon, the Vosges mountains highest peak. The curving path laid out before us.

[​IMG]

And this was where the trip originally meant to end. 6 days in the Vosges. We would return well rested and without aching limb.

But a glance at the map and things were all too tempting...the alps....surely just a stones throw away...

Well, it was more than a stones throw. But the next morning and early start saw us head for Interlaken, and soon we were taking in the gorgeous turqoise waters of the swiss lakes.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. mattmk1

mattmk1 Active Member

Onto the mountain passes, and firstly the Grimsel.

As we started to climb the scenery grew grander, more imposing.

[​IMG]

The bike was falling into sweeping bends and tight hairpins.

[​IMG]

And at the top, a coffee shop and blue skies, with another frozen lake to boot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. mattmk1

mattmk1 Active Member

A Pitstop for lunch at the bottom of the furka, a motley crew of bikes each with their own distinct advantages on the challenging but perfect surfaces.

[​IMG]

The Furka awaited.

[​IMG]

And offered up breathtaking views through the valley.

[​IMG]

The Route down the San Gottard was hairy, with barely a guard rail in most places. At the base we stopped for a much needed coffee.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. mattmk1

mattmk1 Active Member

Then onto my favourite leg of the journey. Upto the summit of the Neufonen. Simply amazing road with views to die for.

[​IMG]

The scale of the Alps was just immense.

[​IMG]

As were the snow drifts.

[​IMG]

We found a traditional Chalet style hotel nestled in the valley below,

[​IMG]

With arguably the worlds best beer garden.

[​IMG]

The surrounding village appeared frozen in time

[​IMG]

With only 10 year long inhabitants.

[​IMG]

But what a lucky ten.

[​IMG]

The next day, we re-ran the Neufonen and then onto the Susten. My favourite pass. Arguably one of my favourite places on earth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The route home involved a dip in Lake Lucerne to cool off.

[​IMG]

And then a stop at Verdun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The journey home was heavy rain all day long, so we stopped at La Coupole for a tour of the museum.

1800 miles, 6 days, breathtaking views, perfect roads and a fireblade. If you havent been....go now!!!

• Like Like x 5
  5. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

Great review, thanks

6. danthorrr4

danthorrr4 Active Member

Thanks for spending the time to upload these. Some cracking pictures :)

7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Very good, nice pics of the Alps in the sunshine.

• Any pictures of the bike with luggage on it - just always interested to see how people carry their luggage on their Blades.
    • Were the two VFRs with you, looked like a new model one ? - just wondering how they got on (carry more luggage, bigger fuel tank -but down on power compared to a Blade - I traded mine in for a Blade)

It is nice t stay somewhere and take the luggage off, and ride around without the luggage. I think I will do more of that on the next trip - choose a spot for a few days - plenty of nice places to chooses from.

Glad it went all right. So nice to have a reliable decent bike when doing stuff like that.

8. mattmk1

mattmk1 Active Member

Thanks!

Personally i travel really lightly, so this year i used a Kriega R35 rucksack filled with camera/electronics/waterproofs/medication, clear visor and minature toiletries, plus a base layer or two. I then use a Held roll bag strapped to the pillion seat with clothes, shoes, chain/lock, few spares and multi tools etc. I generally go with the manta that anything iv forgotten or need can be bought readily anywhere in Europe. Ill dig out a pic but its nothing spectacular.

Have to say the rucksack was a godsend, it was a birthday present two weeks before the trip, and i thought it was a little overhyped on internet reviews. I was wrong, it was superb and genuinely didn't feel like it was there, i could wear it all day without complaint.

We had two VFR's - a 2003 that used daily, and he ran with Kriega 30/20/20 tail packs which seemed to do the job neatly and swallowed all essentials. It kept pace with us all weekend but the guy riding is quite handy.

The 2nd VFR was a 2016 that had the factory panniers, but the rider was complaining of aches and pains after a couple of days, so i think we all expected a little more from it.

Tank range on the blade was up at 140 odd miles before the fuel light, and by this point the Z1000sx was down to its last bar on the fuel gauge, the two VFR's probably had a qtr of a tank left so it wasnt handicapping us, we used the fuel stops for a leg stretch and to take on some fluids to stay fresh.

9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Great write up and pics.... Sadly this will be my second year without a tour... Had six pretty epic years before when the touring bug he me big time.... This brought back some great memories.

10. rob929rr

rob929rr Active Member

Great pictures and report! I still haven't got to Switzerland, it was on the cards this year but the weather put paid to that. However your pictures have me salivating about the place again. So many ideas, so little time...:D

11. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

Thanks , a great read, I came back over the Furka last year coming back from Mugello, found an ok pub,b and b out from Luzerne, half the price of Luzerne, the owner ,Big Joe Torelli, (see google) said he has bikers stop there and daily visit one of the five great alps passes,sounds like an ideal base for a holiday.
    We are off two weeks time and have planned in the Stelvio pass on the way back, can't wait

12. Dom

Dom Active Member

Swiss alps Done them a few times in my car. Still yet do do it on a bike. Getting there puts me off. It's a long ride. But it is sure my favourite place! Your photo's brought back memories. I camped on furka pass. French mountains are good too. Roads there are the smoothest I've ever been on. Still yet to do them on a bike too.

Did stelvio too, camped at the bottom of it. Preferred Switzerland as stelvio corners are all tight harpins.