What a Track Day Van!

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by sinewave, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I've seen some other car derived vans with fold down wheel chair ramp (can't think of make / model but maybe Renault) which I thought looked ideal for trackday transport - may have been peugeot partner based conversion - but that does look handy!

2. morpheus20170

morpheus20170 Active Member

I was looking at a Mercedes Vito but lately I've been thinking of a VW Cabby but not sure if I could fit my bike, ramp, etc in one of those.

3. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Citroen belingo are normally used for this kind of thing

4. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Vito has a very low roof.

Seen a few Guys run their Bikes in a Vito and twatted their yeds on the roof going in! [​IMG]

I'm weighing up swapping one of the Vivaros for a MWB High Roof Sprinter and then selling my 4 month old Trailer! :eek:

5. Scott

Scott Active Member

Got a vito love it. Haven't hit my head yet lol and can get into car parks ;)

6. thefirebloke

thefirebloke Elite Member

Rather have my T5, but I do like that loading ramp!

7. morpheus20170

What's the difference between T5 and Vito.
    Got any photos of your vans please guys?

8. thefirebloke

Only got this pic of the outside of my T5. Kpone, however has a pic of it with two roadbikes being loaded into it.

[​IMG]

And here's a pic of a guy at Oulton Park with his trackbike sticking out the back of his Caddy! :eek:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. morpheus20170

Looking very tidy.
    Please help me with finding a van? I have no idea what to look for? VW Transporter? Cheers guys

12. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Depends how U wish to use the Van Morph?

Yes you can fit a Bike or even squeeze 2 bikes in a SWB Low roofed van such as the nice T5 of Fireblokes and if that's all U want then any SWB will do.
    Vauxhall Vivaros would be a cheaper solution over a Merc or a VW and they are great Vans, been running a few since 2005 with no myther at all.

I however fancy a bigger MWB (Medium Wheelbase) High Roofed Van like a Sprinter.
    This gives you a lot more room in the Van which enables you to relocate the Bike in to the centre of the Van on paddock stands when parked up at Track and work on it inside if no Garages available etc
    You can also sleep in the back as well plus have more room for tools and gear etc.

Sumat like this I'm looking at although obviously I use one for work so my budget will be higher than if I was just buying one for my hobby!

2010 MERCEDES-BENZ SPRINTER 3.5t Van Diesel in Stockton | Van Trader

13. thefirebloke

A van would be an expensive option unless you're using it for work like myself and Sinewave. Much better option than a trailer as you can park it overnight and no-one knows what's inside, and as Jay says, you can sleep in it. But, consider how many trackdays you'll be doing 'cos a trailer might suit you better.

14. morpheus20170

Thanks Sinewave but as I would be using the van for driving about when weather not good for riding I'm looking at either a small car type van or swb van like the VW or Merc.
    I've heard that the Merc drives like a car but is not built as nice as the VW.

15. morpheus20170

Thanks Thefirebloke but I only have the bike so no chance of towing a trailer or storage of it.
    I want to do track days with a good friend but I also want to go to Isle of Man and Ireland all too far on the bike alone especially the good circuits like Cadwell.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thefirebloke

A van it is then! Haven't owned a car myself since the early 90's, quite happy with my van and two bikes. I can thoroughly recommend the T5, it drives great. Get about 650 miles from a tankful which costs around £115. Still think it drives like a van though.

17. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

I've got a VW T5 also but mine is a kombi and my daily driver. I'm converting it into a 'day van' so I can camp in it but can also get my bike in it and sleep next to it. Basing my design on one from action vans but modifying it to my needs so it will carry 5 people when needed but fold the seat down for a double bed or take the rear seats out and get the bike in an sleep next to it as a single bed. Have a look at this site. http://www.actionvan.biz/CamperVan-Conversions/ultimate-kombi.

My van ATM.
    [​IMG]

What I'm considering putting in the back but slightly modified for my needs.
    [​IMG]

18. thefirebloke

Nice bus Andy! Also take a look at T4's R Us, forum for the van, pick up some great ideas and contacts for modding.

19. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

Ye, I'm on the vwt5forum as well.