What size ring key for 2017 rear axle?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Kevin1, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Looks like my trusty 32mm ring spanner no longer fits the rear axle nut. The 17+ model's axle must be a bit beefier.
    What size fits now?

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yeah, it got me too. It's 36 mm.;)

3. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

£36 phew. insert sweating emoji here

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Can't you just get a socket for £10.00. Halfords, Toolstation etc?

You're going to need to torque it with a socket so why double up?;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Needed a 36mm for mine. Halfords only did a 36mm impact driver socket and not a regular socket but it does the job just as well and is only a tenner or so.

6. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Torque wrench?
    I'm old school

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yeah, fair enough. I sometimes wonder about the fanaticism of 'correct' torques for particular bolt/screws, but then said to myself: The values are published for a reason. So I purchased two torque wrenches and go by the book.

Understand your point though. A lot of difference between an axle nut and cylinder head bolts. With the former, just wrench it up tight as f*ck!!:)

8. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

My axle nut is torqued to 100nm, so fooking tight in my book and I would have no way of judging it by feel. At the opposite end of the spectrum I was doing some engine case bolts today that worked out at 7nm and would easily strip the thread.

I recently had to remove my handlebars and found most of the bolts were set way under the correct value, and when I put it back on and used the correct value suddenly a load of vibration disappeared from the bars when riding. I guess the mechanic who put it together originally was old school, whereas if the book says a torque value then I tend to use a torque wrench as the people who design this stuff know a lot more than me, which isn't difficult ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

I have just brought a new torque wrench(teng) because I have had my old Halfords one since about 1988 and when I checked the rear wheel nut with a snap on torque wrench it was not as tight as I should of been:(
    I also have a small torque because I did stripe the threads in my VTR’s brake calliper once so I brought a small one:)
    Just make sure to wind them off every time you have finished with them;)

• Like Like x 1