Which Helmet for Winter ?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by exfire, Feb 8, 2017.

1. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Hi all,

I have been searching helmet reviews but there is nothing like actual experience of real riders, so any help would be appreciated.

My old Schuberth needs replacing and my Shoei NXR is way too drafty even with all the vents closed, it is also pretty noisy, OK for warm weather but not winter.

So if anyone can offer some personal experience of suitable helmets for cold days I would appreciate it.

Budget is not too much of a factor, I just need to be draft free and fog free (already use pin lock and helmet curtain).

Thanks in advance

Nige

2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Agree with you regarding the nxr. Mine has been great over the summer but cold & draughty in winter.
    Ive still got my old shoei xr1100 which combined with either balaclava or cold killers snood is spot on. My Arai chaser was OK winterwise too but not as good as xr

3. raphael

raphael Elite Member

i have used a hjc rpha 10+ through the last two winters and had no bother at all, nice and light, not really noisy but i use ear plugs

4. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

When I changed from the Arai Viper GT to the X-Lite 802R UC last year I was impressed in every way - significantly lighter, more comfortable, better visual quality and field, quieter. It wasn't until the winter cold arrived though that I found the biggest improvement.

With the Arai unneeded to wear a balaclava to keep warm, but the X-Lite is fantastically warm when the visor is closed and no balaclava is required.

You can be riding along with the visor cracked and feel a cool airflow on your face, and within 30 seconds of closing the visor fully the entire helmet is beautifully warm.

Having been misguided that Arai and Shoei were the market leaders, and used them for years, I will never go back now I've seen how great the X-Lite is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

I use Shoei XR1100 as well, I have the whisper strip thingy fitted + wind proof neck tube which I pull up to cover my chin, and I'm as snug as.

6. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Thank you everyone for your input, I will have a good look at the ones you recommend. I just wish you could try the helmets out on the bike or in a wind tunnel ! The helmets often feel comfortable, look good etc in the store but it is only out on the road and in different weather they start to show any issues.

7. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Schampa Warm Skin Balaclava Face Mask Neck Warmer _ eBay.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Thanks Jimbo, I have several but they just aggravate me, they feel uncomfortable and make my shaved head sweat.

9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Reluctant to make a recommendation, because I have not long had it and not done many miles with it:

I do like the way my new Arai RX-7V fits. It is a a bit of a squeeze to get it on, but fits like a glove when it is on. It fits really well. But you have to kind of open it out to squeeze it on and off your head.

Maybe that will wear down, but I have never had a helmet like that - The cheek pads close in underneath your jaw, and a curtain underneath the chin, and it is shaped to form a smooth area underneath - around the side and back of the head

The fit is terrific. When I tried it on I thought no way am I getting this on my head (already an XL) and then it just fits into place - that is amazing !!

10. Shutty

Shutty Well-Known Member

I love this XLite, switched from a Shoei XSpirit and this is a quieter lid and so light

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  11. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

None,

My Arai is tucked away in the cupboard till spring because I am a self admitting fair weather softie.

Wife has the family car I use the Toyota Yaris till then.

12. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

A couple of other things to consider...size and screen. I bought my 1st lid going off the tape measure at home for size. When I came to replace it I went to the local shop with shoei/arai trained salesmen. I actually went down 2 sizes !

Your helmet must be a really snug fit at first, uncomfortable to pull on, almost. It will break in and loosen slightly with time. The better the fit the quieter and safer it will be. Also chin guards block a lot of wind and you can replace a perforated one with another that has no holes in.

Depending on your height and riding position I think the screen on some bikes flow air directly at you lid.

13. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Thanks Mattie, I will try an RX7 on see how it fits.

Smutty I have never had an Xlite but will try one out for fit, looks nice.

Dessp2 you are probably much more sensible than I am. I like to ride and go crazy if I dont get my fix, 3 weeks is the limit haha.

Hi MPJ, yeah I agree. Can't do anything about my screen, they do not do a suitable one for my bike. Size wise I am a 61/62, cant get into anything smaller but a lot depends on the shape of the helmet. They often seem fine until you get the wind blast.

14. NJAY10r

NJAY10r New Member

Agree with Shutty and Emywmpb~after years of Arais i moved to AGV and loved my TiTec Evo~then someone said try an X-Lite -never looked back.
    Currently using this 802R GP and love it to bits DSC06137.JPG DSC06136.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sgt

Sgt Active Member

If you want a quiet helmet try the Schuberth s2 sport. Its also got a handy built in sun visor.

16. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Always found my arai (RX-7) noisier than my shoei (NXR) helmets due to the side pods on the visor, also about the same cold wise due to both lots of vents on them, I'd look at something with minimum amount of vents and shoei style podless visor to be quiet and warm

17. Sgt

Sgt Active Member

I had a cheap shox helmet that I brought for go karting, that I used when I first started out, and it was soooo quiet, but thats down to how close the pads were to my ears. I could tell it was a cheap helmet as checking my blind spot on the motorway nearly took my head off! :|
    I've had the schuberth for a couple of years now and ride everyday pretty much, and have to say its a good helmet, that said, I have only experienced 2 helmets!! :)
    I have a shoei GT-Air sat in storage for when the schuberth gives up, but dont think that will be anytime soon ;)
    I just love the intergrated sun visor. Its so handy not needing to worry about being caught out in the sun or low light!

18. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Have to say the xlite looks good Njay, looks very aerodynamic without protruding vents.

@Sgt I currently have a schuberth S1 (obviously quite old) the visor leaks air in and the top 3 vents make quite a lot of noise. The new Schuberths look better designed but also look quite a large shell.

I have had some problems with my eyes recently (sore and stinging) both my schuberth and Arai NXR are letting quite a lot of air in even with vents closed, I am starting to think the air getting onto my eyes is what is causing the problem and I have been riding quite a lot lately.

19. Sgt

Sgt Active Member

I have watery eyes also with a little gap in the visor (summer), but your schuberth shouldn't give you any grief with the lid closed... I would go to a Schuberth dealer and get them to check out the seal, think these have 5 year warranties on them too, so hopefully you're still inside that period..