which track bike?

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by roboticus, Jan 2, 2019.

1. roboticus

roboticus Member

I'm looking at getting a track bike but torn between a 600cc or a 1000cc, if I get a 1000cc it'll prob be a blade because I have a set of bst to go on a stm slipper clutch and a hm dash, it was always my plan,
    but, i'v been looking at bikes on the net and started looking at 600 or 675, and for same price I can get a newer bike with some decent kit on, and I remember my 636 was immense on corners and not much be hide on straights with a quickshifter, u could throw it about and it was so forgiving, I loved it, and there was some pork to it too, my 636 was an 04 so a 13/14 plate must of come on a bit and there pulling about 125bhp,
    or do I stick with a blade for the extra power on tap

2. tuktuk

tuktuk Well-Known Member

I'm so tempted with a 675. Holding out to see whether a 765 will go into manufacture!

Cbr600rr seem very popular on track and aren't always ridiculous money. CBRjay on here has a couple for track use.

3. roboticus

roboticus Member

I don't buy new but that would be mint,

u can get a decent 600cc road bike for 3g, is that the best option, i'd be surprised if I don't send it at some point
    or I've seen some nicer ones I'd prefer with decent suspension and other fancy shit on

4. Demmel

Demmel New Member

Where I live and in Russia - the most popular bikes for the track are R6 2008+
    They are just an incredible amount in the class of 600cc

• Like Like x 1
  5. julian48

julian48 New Member

no mate 636 is not 125bhp not on a proper dyno anyway, I have an R6 and absolutely love it, the only tracks I feel I could use more power are the ones with long straight sections, the rest of the time its more than capable, I am following with interest Smallboys trackhire bikes Matt the owner has several new 765 rs's that he's converted to trackbikes, they look and sound the business, I could be tempted in one myself

6. roboticus

roboticus Member

I know mate there only 100bhp, the new 600 are nocking on 125bhp I meant, i'm prob go for a blade, or a bmw, just waiting for right one come up,
    765 the naked one?

7. dmc12

dmc12 New Member

Well unless you're already extremely handy on track, the standard answer is get yourself a 600RR. Which is why - despite not being particularly handy - I just bought a blade as a track bike :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lifeofriley

Lifeofriley New Member

I've had 2 675 track bikes very good bikes and incredibly easy to work on, can access the ECU via a odb lead and app on phone to disable things etc but since owning the blade I don't look back. Extra power is very handy and it holds a tighter more stable line. But saying that I do have ktech installed. As above can't beat a 08 plus r6

• Like Like x 1
  9. zxrob

zxrob New Member

Personal choice really
    Most folk are wasted on a 1000cc, me included, more cubes dont mean quicker lap times
    My track bikes have been, 400cc, 600cc, 750cc, 1000cc and V twins, all good in their own way, best fun per £ my old zxr400
    This year I'm back on a 600, well, actually 636:)

Rob

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. zxrob

zxrob New Member

Yep, the 600rr is a cracking track bike, light, predictable, quick turning, what it lacks in power is made up elsewhere

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  11. Demmel

Demmel New Member

And what can you give a description of R6 08+ and Ninja 636? Like track bikes. Why is the R6 so loved by everyone on the track?

• Like Like x 1
  12. zxrob

zxrob New Member

I've had a couple of early R6 but not the 08+, I presume they are so popular because they are a very good bike, light, handle very well, etc.
    600cc bikes in my opinion are great for trackdays, more involving ride

Each to their own though

Rob

• Like Like x 2
  13. roboticus

roboticus Member

yeah I loved my 636, really good bike, handled like Maradona, just felt I was hammering it on the road, and it was getting a little old.
    still flip flopping with what get yet, I might take the road bike to track and see how I feel on it, unless a blade comes up at the right money

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spygoat

Spygoat Member

I am looking at R3's right now. I want to run a small bike this year. My 750 doesn't really qualify as a track bike anymore as it is in boxes strewn about the garage and I am too lazy to open the boxes lately.

• Like Like x 1