Worrying engine noise!!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Lucky13, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Lucky13

Lucky13 Active Member

Hi guys

My bike has always made a little bit of noise like this but only at around 4000 revs and generally under very little load, it sounds like a russling noise when the exhaust is leaking around the manifold but I can’t detect a leak anywhere..I had this in a car when the exhaust manifold on the engine had cracked..it’s like that but it’s suddenly got a lot louder..can someone with a better trained ear have a listen and see what they think..the noise kicks in more clearly at around 26 seconds.

I really hope this isn’t going to be a serious problem as it’s getting scarily loud.

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'm wondering if it's cam chain, especially with that little click when you turn the engine off.

An old mechanics trick is to put a screwdriver to the cylinder block with the handle to your ear. Works like a stethoscope. You might pick up a clue from that.

3. Iain

Iain Active Member

What bike, what year, how any miles? CCT would be the first thing to look at, but diagnosing over a video is not the best way to do it.

Where are you? maybe some could suggest a decent local mechanic?

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

The clue's in the video. 2008 - 11 CBR1000RR:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lucky13

Lucky13 Active Member

Thanks guys as already mentioned it’s CBR1000RR 2008 with 9000 miles on the clock, if i could describe the sound it’s a clicking or russling noise abd seems to come in around 3000-4000 revs when the engine is under low load and the revs are coming down ...a good example is when the road is on a small incline around 4000 revs in 2nd or 3rd gear is when It’s most obvious.

Has anyone with a failing CCT noticed the same noise or situation ?

I based in the South West area

6. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

Cct I'd say, mine sounded the same when I first fitted my manual one before I tightened it up

7. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Like others have said it sounds like cct. Try nigels screwdriver suggestion to listen to it as it works and you can defo hear the rattling with it, if it is the cct.

8. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the rest, sounds like the CCT.

9. hitch

hitch Elite Member

:eek:
    There's your issue right there.....

;)

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Huh? Lucky has said when revs coming down and riding on incline. That is not unusual or abnormal - unless I'm missing your point.:confused:

Or, are you suggesting the revs are far too low, and it's actually 'pinging' he's hearing?

11. hitch

hitch Elite Member

It was an attempt at humour which has failed to hit the mark (at least with you @nigelrb) :oops:

...I'll get my coat :(

12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Oh no! Hitch has left the building because of me!!:(

I must say though, that your humour was better in the follow-up post than the first!:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lucky13

Lucky13 Active Member

thanks guys, I've thought my CCT was going for a while as I seem to have quite a bit of engine noise that I wouldn't expect from only a 9000 mile engine..especially considering the TLC the previous owners have given it.

I'll get one ordered and use the install guide I downloaded from here a while back...looks pretty simple I even ordered a swivel socket extender a while back as I've heard this makes the job alot easier :)

14. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

Bear advice I can give if its same place add the 13plate is remove the tank fully no need remove air box etc just the tank and you can get in no side panels or ote. I started with the tank til it pissed me off.2mins to remove and the jobs a doddle

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lucky13

Lucky13 Active Member

Thanks mate what do you mean by 13plate and ote ? And are you saying all i need to remove is the main fuel tank nothing else apart from the bits to get the fuel tank off and the jobs a goodun ? Any special tooks required ?

Thanks mate just wanted to clarify :)

16. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

Predictive text sorry mate, mines a 2013 model is what I meant. And yes I just removed the fuel tank and there's enough space get in to remove the tensioner. If your replacing with another auto one you need a tool for locking the tensioner in whilst fitting(it's just like a tiny screw driver), but for a manual one it's just sockets, spanners and Allen keys. There's a few videos on YouTube of you're unsure

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Si.

Si. God Like

Tensioner.... so far...need another one as the noise is back, 36,000 miles.

Change them every 8k miles or so, or go for a manual one....