Yoshi RS-5 Exhaust : how to tame db ?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Arthur Yeo, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Arthur Yeo

Arthur Yeo New Member

I just recently acquired a low mileage garage queen (2005 CBR1000RR) and the previous owner had installed a Yoshimura RS-5 slip-on. How do you tame the sound level?

I searched YouTube and found that even with the Low-volume INSERT (which I have), it will only knock off 5-10% of the sound. I noticed that when I test drove it nearby (driving at speed limit), pedestrians would turn around to look at me, mostly due to the sound. That's too much unwanted attention and I feel like I'm violating their air space. I'm pretty certain, I would be harassed by police here if I were to cross their paths.

Any idea how to lower the sound besides uninstalling the exhaust and get a factory version? Is the factory version also very loud?

2. Lock

Lock Active Member

Got an Rs5 on my 2007 blade and decat headers - doesn't seem too offensive (lot quieter than my street triple RS!). Was looking to get a DB killer (£45) but only for track days though. MOT wasn't an issue without.

If your worried about too much attention then pop the noise killer in - if your stopped then the baffle is in to reduce noise so doubt you'd have any issue.
    In built up areas just go low revs and exhaust is pretty quiet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  3. Lock

Lock Active Member

Only other thing is if the wadding in the exhaust is completely shot - you could send it off to get re-packed or give it a go yourself (drill out pop rivets, take off end plate etc)

4. Arthur Yeo

Arthur Yeo New Member

I believe the previous owner put it in last year and he ran it for around 1,300+ miles on this new can; half of it was during the 600 miles break-in period. So, I think it's still pretty new.

Looks like some people re-pack their cans every 300-500 miles. So, mine should be way overdue.

#4 Arthur Yeo, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  5. Lock

Lock Active Member

Never repacked an exhaust myself and would expect 1000s mile (my old akrapovic had 23k on it with no repack). Might depend how hot it gets, high revving you ride.
    Not sure how old the yoshi is on my new bike, but it's got 45k on the clock!

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Arthur Yeo

Arthur Yeo New Member

I replaced the Yoshi Low Volume Insert and the sound is definitely less raw and smoother (more dull).
    I think I can live with this.

• Like Like x 1