02 Blade owner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by blade1965, Jul 5, 2014.

1. blade1965

blade1965 New Member

Hi all,

Just joined the forum as I picked up a 02 blade with 3000 miles on the clock and one owner. Will post pics up soon. I'm in Ruislip/slough
    For now I have to deal with an engine flooded with fuel, there's even fuel in the oil. Oops.
    My fault for starting it with 4 yr old fuel. Hope the damage is nothing serious.
    Other than that it's a nice machine.
    Had 98 blade before best bike I ever owned.

2. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

You could have a seal gone at the tank. This would then let the fuel slowly seep into the barrels and down past the piston rings.

I had something very similar with my Blackbird which was a 97 model and had been laying up for years, with only 9k on the clock.

Also worth noting that if you try and start a bike when it's in 'hydraulic lock' you can do serious damage to the bikes internals due to the added pressure of the fuel in the engine.

I was lucky with only the starter wheel needing replaced along with the seal.

3. blade1965

blade1965 New Member

Thanks Collin What is the best course of action then?

4. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I'm just going to double check with someone if that can actually happen with a fuel injection bike mate.

Give me a mo

5. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Ok it can happen with a fuel injected bike. It is possibly the rubber seal for the diaphram that has perished.

You would need to remove the tank.

Seeing as we haven't seen where the fuel shut off is on a 02 Blade
    Here's what my mate said:

It depends on what sort of fuel shut off it has some are external to the tank others are bolted into like the blackbird. There is still normally a vacuum pipe goin to the shutoff mech, that's what needs to be checked.

6. blade1965

blade1965 New Member

Thanks mate.

I spoke to my mechanic mate who is actually away at the moment so can't come and help. This is his diagnosis.

Whilst running the bike with with 4 yr old fuel, it confused the computer as the fuel wasn't igniting and the computer to compensate pushed more fuel into the engine, hence the pinking sound and the bike stalling. So in effect the engine and now the oil is flooded with un ignited fuel. So it's a question of draining the oil and letting the engine breath and dry out.
    Hopefully I haven't caused any damage.

The other problem I now have is the bike not turning over, the starter motor is no longer working but just clicking, what could have caused this?

Many thanks

7. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Sounds like the starter wheel has gone. Same as mine had when trying to start it in Hydraulic lock.

8. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

You at least have an easy route to take to check if the fuel is the issue. If not then you also know of another possibility mate.

Here's hoping you get up and running soon mate.

9. fireblade_ro

fireblade_ro New Member

This happened to my '89 GPX600... I rode until I had to switch to the reserve tank = bad move. Never use the reserve tank! It sucked up sediment from the bottom, which went through the moth eaten "filter" on the tank... blocked my carbs (float chambers jammed up) and my poor air filter turned into a fuel filter. I realised when I stopped at traffic lights, put my right foot down to knock it into neutral (being 5ft tall I lean the bike slightly) and my exhaust caught fire...

10. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

A few things to check first mate, pull the spark plugs and see if the cylinders are full of fuel? This would be the main route for fuel to get into the sump and oil.

If they are full of fuel you may have hydrolocked the engine as the fuel would not have been able to compress as the cylinders were moving with the starter, this may have cause other dame in the engine. In the case of Colin's old bike this caused the starter gear to shred its teeth while trying to compress the fuel in the cylinders.

The oil will need to be drained off n replaced to remove the fuel contained within.

Fuel will need to be removed if present in the cylinders.

Does the fuel pump still running with the ign switched off?

Double check the fuel return pipe (fuel regulator is mounted to head area with vacuum pipe connected) is not kinked or pinched, causing a build up in fuel pressure leading to more fuel passing through the injectors than normal.

The cause may well have been old unburnable fuel though where only part or some of the fuel was being burnt properly while a buildup of fuel was also filling up the cylinders until it hydrolocks and stops, or you stop the engine and it locks up upon next restart attempt.

Hope you get her fixed and cheaply mate.

11. blade1965

blade1965 New Member

Thank you all for the advice. Draining the oil and removing plugs now. I think the engine is in hydraulic lock. Need to release that first.

Will keep you posted.

12. blade1965

blade1965 New Member

Found a new problem

I filled the tank with fresh fuel and injector cleaner on Thursday.

The tank is now empty. Where is it leaking from?

13. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

That's definitely the seal then

Same thing happened with my Blackbird

14. blade1965

blade1965 New Member

I have decided to take the more expensive route and taken the bike to HGB Honda in Ruislip. Just hope it's not bad news. Thanks for all the advice will keep you posted, can't afford a major expense at the moment.

15. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Good luck with the bike and welcome.

16. blade1965

blade1965 New Member

Could it be one of the injectors stuck open, hence the fuel entering the system?

Thank you all for the warm welcome and words of advice. I'm just hoping HGB are not going to call me on Tuesday with news that I have f....d the engine or valves or something.

More about the bike, it's a yellow 02 blade with only 3050 miles in 12 yrs and one owner. It's like bloody new. He bought it and has not used it for the past four yrs. I had to pay him top dollar for it, he know what it was worth. If the repairs are too expensive I may have to bring it back home and do them later when I have spare cash.

Will post up some pics when I get it cleaned and washed. It's covered in dust and grime.

#16 blade1965, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

good luck with getting it sorted, and welcome

18. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

In regards to the injector being open.
    The injectors are always open. It's the ECU that controls the pulsing of fuel into the system.

As said it is the seal and is an easy fix. Once you have replaced that, dump the oil and filter. Then use a lesser oil and a new filter. Ride for say 100 miles and again dump the oil and filter. Replace with decent oil and new filter and be done with it.

19. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum mate, great bikes the 954's had a blue and white one, light nimble with good power and excellent build quality, fingers crossed you get it sorted cheaply

20. blade1965

blade1965 New Member

Colin

Thanks for yr message, I see what you mean about the injectors and seal. Where is the seal by the way?

It's in the hands of the dealer now, I just hope they are a decent bunch and don't take the piss. Like many of us bikers we have different views/experiences of garages/dealers.