04 Clunking Noise After Changing Sprockets and Chain

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Twheels, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Twheels

Twheels New Member

Hi everyone got my 04 from a shady guy and it's needed some work. The current problem is it won't go into neutral and when I put it in gear and ride if I gain any speed at all even 15 mph and let the clutch out even half way it grinds, clunks, and stalls after roling for a few seconds, and pulling the clutch in usually does not stop it from stalling if it already started grinding too much.

I had no problems shifting until I did the chain and sprockets and took the clutch lifter rod out from behind the clutch slave cylinder, put it back in, seemed to not go back in all the way so tried to force it. I read here somewhere that could mess something up and to seat it correctly you need to open the other side w the clutch so I opened it. It's just a rod going into a cylinder stopper in the middle of the clutch plates cover, the stopper and the clutch lifter rod push the clutch plates out to disengage. So it was fine and I didn't need to open anything. I put everything back together and figured out I just needed to compress the clutch slave cylinder and it went on fine. Left side all seems fine but I took apart and put clutch back together according to the manual but still no neutral and still clunks/grinds. Chain and sprockets look like they role smooth together.

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Sounds like clutch not disengaging, probably due to the way the rod was installed or the slave needs bleeding properly.
    No major headache, but you do need to bleed the system, including at the clutch cylinder olive. Then remove the slave and make sure the piston moves when you pull the lever. Then check the rod goes all the way in ok.

Once you've done that you should be able to rotate the rear wheel by hand with the clutch lever pulled in.

3. Twheels

Twheels New Member

I already bled the clutch and the wheel spins freely with the lever pulled in. I just rode it again and gained more speed and it seems that it's just stuck in 3rd gear or higher. What could cause that?

4. Twheels

Twheels New Member

Well I'm an idiot, the clutch pedal linkage was on backward and I was in 6th gear, up was 1 down N, down 2, down 3 etc ‍♂️‍♂️‍♂️‍♂️‍♂️

Well if I hadn't taken the video to show you I would have never figured it out, so thanks for helping my dumb ass hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Yes that would do it, the bike won't like pulling off in top gear :D
    Well done, at least you found it.