08/2016 gearbox 3rd gear

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Bob Edward, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Bob Edward

Bob Edward New Member

Hello this random but i find this annoying i want know the full facts by someone who knows them.

I have seen that the 08 to 10 blade had a few issues with the crank shaft (they got sorted out with a stronger shaft for the 2011 model)

I have seen a few times on forums about 3rd gear loss but its mainly been on bikes 08 to 10 i have not seen any newer than that have issues.
    Me being me gets frustrated about this sort of thing and ile admit i worry when i don't need to!

Nova list the 08 to 16 bikes with the same problem apprantly they can go on track and they have made a stronger 3rd gear, im thinkin they list up to 2016 because 3rd gear didn't accturaly get changed but surely something else got sorted.

After allot of my research, the 2014 blades have a updated shift drum aswell as shift rod i belive that must cut down the problem.
    I strongly think its only 08 to 10 what can loose 3rd gear and im thinkin it could relate to the crank problem they had... I refuse to believe that this problem went from 08 to 16.. Please can someone who knows what they are talking about shed some light on this for me with facts.

2. martin_deyanov

martin_deyanov Active Member

Hi mate and welcome to the forum!

Speaking from experience, 3rd countershaft gear does shatter if abused at the track. My engine is being rebuilt at the moment, as this is exactly what happened to my 08 end of last season. If it happens at speed it can do quite a bit of damage to the engine internals, not only the gearbox itself.

I don't think it is related in any way to the crankshaft issue as these parts are not in contact with each other whatsoever. Furthermore, obviously it is was not common enough for Honda to do a recall or upgrade the part. The part number remains unchanged 08 - 16, which can be checked in every online parts catalogue.

Nova lists 08-16 because the gear fits all these years, but my guess is it was an early defective batch / lower quality steel used, which is why it is not happening to the later years.

If you have a newer year blade or you are not tracking and abusing it, I would not worry too much about it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bob Edward

Bob Edward New Member

Thanks for the welcome mate much appreciated. That's makes sense to me i do feel that maybe the steel had issues in the early years with me only seeing up to 2010 with shatterd 3rd,,,, and yes im silly really as im not even going track my blade but just the thought of this sort of thing really annoys me to tell the truth i hate the thought my supersport flagship model braking just because of using it on a track i know they are road bikes but its the closest thing u can get to a race bike pathetic it is how they can damage on early machines.,,, in 2014 they did accturaly update the shift drum and the shift spindle i can't see why else they would update them. So my guess is the issue got fully sorted out in 2014 as i can't see why they would change them parts other wise

4. martin_deyanov

Don't know about the shift drum. The 3rd gear develops stress cracks and eventually a piece of it breaks off. I will post photos and videos of my rebuild later on.

5. martin_deyanov

Don't know about the shift drum. The 3rd gear develops stress cracks and eventually a piece of it breaks off. I will post photos and videos of my rebuild later on.

6. Bob Edward

Bob Edward New Member

I think it must be just the bikes up to 2010 as they didn't change

7. Bob Edward

Bob Edward New Member

I've seen online all counter shaft gears where replaced from 2nd gear to 4th. Updated hy 2011 bike.

8. tucksoda

tucksoda New Member

hi everyone first post new here,
    so from all the info i can find the cbr1000rr 2008-2010 are the ones with the problem with 3rd gear but 2010-2016 are all good
    as i am looking at a 2013 and also a 2017 and would also like to use on the odd track day so i dont want the hassle of having to rebuild gears,
    also the cost
    any advice or help much appreciated

9. Kake

Kake Active Member

Does anybody know if the -14 -16 model shift drum would fit on -08 ? I'd think so do but I'm not sure.

#9 Kake, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  10. Kake

Kake Active Member

To my knowledge Honda updated the 3rd gear twice but still I've seen them breaking in race bikes hence why we went with Nova. The great wheel was 60g heavier than the stock and the back wall was significantly thicker and it's made from billet.

11. M@t

M@t New Member

I have the 2014 cbr1000sp. Never been on track with it and this past weekend I lost my 3rd gear doing a normal street ride! The noise did not sound good at all so I’m going to have to remove the engine and strip it down! Praying it hasn’t done further damage as the cost and inconvenience of this already is horrific

12. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

Hi Bob.
    As far as I know honda have made weak 3rd gears for 35 years. Fireblaeds only come across 1 person in person, @Jay Floyd but he's a bit of a weelie merchant
    Honestly no one post up how good their gearbox is and hasn't failed. Mine is standard and at 45k with no problems. If you're really worried about it buy a broken bike at a suitable price and get the nova gears fitted yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hondaboy63

Hondaboy63 Active Member

I’m speaking out from experience with the weak third gear on a 2009 bike
    I wrecked my gear box and the reason was placed on the 3rd gear.I’m sure it didn’t help, hitting some false neutral’s. I got the engine rebuilt with Nova racings 1st and 3rd gear installed, couldn’t afford the £2500 complete Nova racing gear box.
    I’m now riding a 2014 blade, with no problems. I have installed a Racetorx gearshift support to reduce the false neutral possibility, and smoother gear change, I haven’t got a quick shifter ☹️.

• Like Like x 2
  14. M@t

M@t New Member

06243AE1-8D6C-4737-A8CB-AE08C6E31628.jpeg 62F78A9A-286E-4EF4-BD37-43BA86E803F6.jpeg
    I have a quickshifter and I have hit some terrible false nuetrals going from 2nd to 3rd! Busy stripping bottom end and yea,was lucky to find 3 pieces in the oil pan. One transmission is out I will fit the pieces to try “complete” the gear so I know I’ve found all that’s broken off.

15. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

I had the same issue with my old 2011 blade, destroyed 3rd gear input and output cogs...... luckily enough nothing else....
    upgraded those cogs to Nova racing cogs as the OEM ones are weak (well known thing for Honda 2008-2016 gearboxes)

#15 Jay Floyd, Jul 11, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  16. Hondaboy63

Hondaboy63 Active Member

Curious to know, what quickshifter have you installed. I believe the setting up the quickshifter timing is essential to make the gear change smoother. I would recommend installing a racetorx gear support as it stiffens the gearshift rod, and reduces the flex and removes false neutral’s. Your pictures look nasty.
    Good luck with the repair.

17. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

I had a Racetorx gear support on my 2011 blade, like i said .... 3rd gears are like chocolate on 08-16 blades

18. M@t

M@t New Member

Apologi
    Apologies for the late reply! I have a Bazzaz quickshifter. Finished putting everything back together this morning but I’m a bit unsure of some things. Maybe you could help? Firstly bike wouldn’t start and battery died but I think that’s more to do with draining batt priming fuel system.
    Secondly my gear indicator on dash is wrong(maybe I fitted the sensor incorrectly)
    Thirdly and biggest concern is there is a lot of free play on output shaft sprocket when in each gear.is that normal? I see I can’t upload a clip on here

19. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

I'm running a 2008 Blade on Track and primarily use 2nd and 3rd (most fun gears!) - only 4th on straight.

How easy is it to replace the 3rd gear cog? Seen the one on the Nova website for £150 - but not mechanincally minded enough to do it myself. What sort of time (hrs) would it take a decent bike mechanic to do?

20. Kake

Kake Active Member

It's quite a lot of work. 1st remove the engine and then you need to split the cases. You don't have to open the top end but being that is an -08 , I'd replace the piston rings at the same time.