12 months and a story of 3 blades!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by lexathon, May 20, 2017.

1. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

This will be a long post, so put the kettle on!

So last year I was having a ball on my 2015 Repsol and getting faster and faster on track until disaster struck... I was just pushing myself a little too hard and spat myself off the bike coming on to the back straight at Snetterton.

The bike was not very pretty...

IMG_1783.JPG

Fortunately I was not badly hurt...

IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG

I fixed up what I could on the bike and decided to take the fairings off and think about fixing them up. While they were off I stuck on a set of aftermarkets that I picked up on the forum for a decent price...

IMG_1853.JPG

Getting back on track was slow going for obvious reasons and it took me a while to get back into the groove of it. I have my knee down here, but it's taken me up until last month to really start to feel relaxed and enjoy it again.

IMG_1877.JPG

And then another tragedy! My bike got stolen from outside my mum and dads place while I was staying with them. :mad: Little toe-rags cut through the disc lock and snapped the steering lock and pushed it away with their scooters. Gutted.

Anyway - look on the bright side I said, collected on the insurance and treated myself to a bargain basement brand new one for £10k.

IMG_0218.JPG

She was very pretty, but I didn't really get a chance to get to know her as 2 weeks later I went to my mum and dad's for 30 minutes over lunch and they struck again. :eek:
    I couldn't quite believe how shitty that was and actually I was a depressed about the whole thing for a good couple of weeks. Started to think that I can't have a bike. Insurance quotes for a replacement were ridiculous. £4500 3rd party fire and theft!
    Anyway, after the insurance settled I decided that I need a bike for my own sanity and that if they won't cover me for theft I will just have to not get this one nicked. (i.e. never visit my parents again)
    So I buzzed up to Bury and picked up a '13 plate...

IMG_0348.JPG

Not sure how or why (maybe it's the akrapovic can?!) but I fell in love with this one immediately where I didn't get that joy out of my brief stint on the black one.

After the winter was behind us and track days were back I decided to put my old beaten up fairing and a few other bits and pieces I'd found for peanuts on eBay (that I still had in the garage) on the new bike - just to be safe!

IMG_0471.JPG

Ain't she pretty! If nothing else, it meant people kept out of my way!

Well finally over the last couple of weekends I've gotten around to doing all the painting. It's taken ages and I'm not sure I'd do it again, but here she is in all her glory! (And original fairing all safe and sound in the garage).

IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  2. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0631.JPG IMG_0633.JPG IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0636.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  3. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Looks good, trust your mum and dad are visiting you now.
    Thats some bad luck you've had.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

You nearly held that! Great to hear you never gave up. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

Love that. I have a tale of 3 blades but it's really boring compared to yours. I bought one, sold it, bought another, sold it, bought another one, still enjoying it.

Told you it was boring!

• Like Like x 2
  6. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

Loving the Matt black too. Great job!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Colour coded keyboard? Are you doing your Pico Training? lol
    Great story - thanks for sharing

• Like Like x 1
  8. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

Ah - it's an editing keyboard! Looks a bit mad but invaluable for the day job of making telly!