12v socket on fireblade 2017

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Ice Doc, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

So my week of trying to do useful stuff seems to be going pretty badly. Firstly the rear footrest blanking plates didn't turn up, and now the mini tyre compressor I bought to use with my bike has blown the 1A fuse in my 12V accessory socket on my blade. I've replaced the fuse, but I'm now wondering why Honda sell a 12V accessory socket kit which supports a maximum of 1A only. The 12V pump needs 5A apparently.

How do others get around this - I was hoping to have a pump I could use to re-inflate my tyres after my track day next week (as I've been advised it's good to lower the pressure for the track).. Do I need to find a weedy compressor that uses less than 1A, or take a foot pump?

Ho hum..

2. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. edderby

edderby Active Member

I have a Stop and Go puncture repair kit with compressor. It plugs directly into the battery via my optimate charger cable - nice and simple solution.

4. edderby

edderby Active Member

They are £50 on eBay from Busters (compressor and all the puncture repair stuff)

5. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

Most tracks have an air station. At least here in the USA they do.

However, you will find some very helpful people at a track day and iff you asked to use their compressor, they will very likely let you!

6. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Pump looks like the same as the one I got, so maybe all I need is an adapter that connects directly to my bike’s battery rather than via the 12V socket (that is limited to 1A). I was wondering if there was a low powered pump (12W I guess).

7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

If you have a trickle charger then just get a pump, or modify a lead, that can plug in to the connector on the bike.

1 amp is as much use as tits on a fish. Most phones now charge at 2.4a or more. 1amp gives you 12 watts of power which is pretty much equal to the square root of eff all.

Unless you are running significantly lower pressures on track then you can simply ride it on the road the nearest petrol station, or as suggested simply ask someone at the track for a bit of air/power.

8. willb

willb Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Now that just depends on da fish ya hookin' my man . . .:D:D

Splash.jpg

11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Oh goody. I'll watch out for some downvotes next week!!:D:D;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Well it'll be arriving in time (I hope) to take with me to my track day at Brands Hatch on Thurs, so if I'm still alive after that I'll be able to provide an update on its performance. I'm planning to let a few psi out at the start of the day and then use it to stick a few back in at the end of the day so it'll definitely get tested. More soon..!

• Like Like x 1
  13. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

I got a similar one from aldi, there mint, you'll be able borrow one anyway if it don't come, 30 front 32 rear, give it a couple of laps before u ring its neck, if its no limits they did free training for novice at oulton, so ask them,

14. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Now you're being silly. That is a Mermaid and not a Fish, next you'll be saying that a Unicorn is a Horse :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. willb

willb Active Member

:eek:!!!

One thing it took me forever to realise (simple idiot I am), is there is no charge indication on the unit itself. There is a colour LED on the charge plug to indicate when charged. Doh!