16,000 mile service - advice?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by dmc12, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

I want to put an 'angry' emoji, but I don't do emojis, or angry for that matter really. But, I'll make an exception here because as I hinted at previously, this kind of behaviour boils my piss. These people need to be held to account & punished most harshly. There are good & honest mechanics around & these dicks give everyone, and the trade, a bad name. Grrrr!

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Black & White

To you, @nigelrb. Mate! I've just been admiring your MV again. Dude, that 'MV' symbol alone..... 'Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's ox' - or something like that. I'm a sinner!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Marc

Marc Active Member

Following this thread with interest. My RR6 has just clocked up 20,000 miles and there's no paperwork to suggest it's had the valve clearances checked, (I bought it with 17,500 on the clock). My plan is to have it done over the winter by the local independent garage that I use and trust. I've no idea what it's likely to cost me but I'm making an assumption it won't be cheap.

4. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I like your dissection of the written word.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Probably bank on around £250 dependant upon whether plugs and filters are required.;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Jez

Jez Senior Member

when the garage did not check mine I, I told the manager the tamper markings had not been touched this was before I even left the the garage. he refused to look at the car but said if his engineer has said he has done it then it has been done. I contacted trading standards and they just said take it back to the garage and complain. They were not bothered. Next garage I went to that does valves I asked what spare shims do they have, the answer none? How did they plan to do my valves or anyone else's . I ended up doing it myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Black & White

Mate. WTF! How can they claim to have checked when your markings are undisturbed? I'd be swinging with a baseball bat! Honestly, how the f**k? There is no way on this planet...!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

I would ask them for pictures of work as they do it ,,,, if they refuse go somewhere else ,,,, no excuses

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Black & White

Absolutely agree.
    Any mechanic worth his, or her, salt should not mind someone looking over & seeing what they're doing. It's your bike/car & you're paying top dollar. A plumber that comes to your house...You can watch them.

10. Black & White

Some of you may have guessed by now. It grinds my gears to discover there are some people out there that have no qualms about stitching people up. Angry face of grerness!

11. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say how amazing this forum is...

After chatting with @Black & White on here he offered to help me check the clearances and do a bunch of the other big service stuff, so I trundled off to his part of the world today and we spent the whole day on it.

New plugs, checked the clearances and replaced the brake fluid.

It's a bit of a mission getting down to the cams (and sliding the cam cover out of the frame) but mostly it was just old fasteners on the bike which were causing us trouble. Clearances were all within spec (7 thou on the inlet and between 12 and 13 on the exhaust) but very glad to have checked them.

Bike ran great on the way home - plugs not due for another 16k (and the old ones looked fine), but I reckon it was very happy to have a new set!

Huge, huge thanks to B&W... what a privilege to have this level of generosity and knowledge on here.

IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1519.JPG

• Like Like x 10
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Awesome, hopefully it is like give a man a rod, :)

13. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

That’s really good to hear well done @Black & White and @dmc12 :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Black & White

@dmc12. No worries mate. It certainly helped a lot that you're not cack-handed & were more than happy to muck in!
    When it comes to tackling that kind of job, it's always helpful to have someone there with, not only the tools, but a bit of experience to boost your own (not inconsiderable) confidence.
    Don't forget Mrs B&W, with bringing out the teas & bacon rolls!
    It was definitely a relief that the clearances were in spec, so we've got Honda to thank for that.
    Well done for getting stuck in mate. A good outcome, & a lovely day made the difference.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1