16k service - elusive air filter for 2017 RA-H?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Ice Doc, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Hewy78

Hewy78 New Member

Big help, thanks buddy... is it possible for these modern bikes to suck oil up into air filters does anyone know...

2. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Combustion engines produce blow by gases. These are gases that get past the rings into the sump and crank area. Engines have vent in the crank recirculating these gases post air filter back into the engine where they are burnt. Without it, the sump could be pressurised forcing the oil to go to the top.
    In extreme cases, which I had in a car engine with bad rings, at high speeds, the sump pressure was so high that oil would spray out of oil filler neck!!
    chances are you engine might have burnt some of the excess oil. I don’t see the point of checking the air filter. Why not check the oil level and if it is too high, take some out.
    There are other problems associated with over filling not limited to just the above

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Hewy78

Hewy78 New Member

Thanks for the info, I have taken the excess out (800ml) before my 1300 mile trip and when I set off and checked level as per manual it was at max line and when I got back and checked per manual it was at below min line.. was going to check air filter to see if there is cause for alarm, and if i had a reason to take back to the yamaha dealer I bought it off... im not sure what they would do to remedy burning oil but if overfilling has knackered something in the engine I only have a 3mth warranty... im actually quite worried about future expenses due to their incompitence...

4. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I assume you checked both times the same way. In which case I would take it straight back to the dealer and get them to check the air filter housing in your presence unless you trust their work ethics.
    If you start doing things to the bike, it may give them grounds for making excuses.
    On my bike, the min to max marker line is worth 170~200 ml. If this is similar to yours, then burning this amount over 1300 miles may not be classed as excessive. Although mine would use 50~ 70 in similar situations but it is a road bike

5. Hewy78

Hewy78 New Member

Good point, I may have a look myself though as they are about 3hrs away from me... although even if it is burning oil im not sure what they would/could do with it. Shouldnt burn oil on a 2018 plate with 3k on it surely...

6. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

What goes in the air box is blow by gases and oil vapour not raw engine oil. If this was the case, you would get smoke out of every orifice of the engine( I’ve been there!).
    I also doubt if you would find 1 L oil slushing around in the air box.
    3 hrs away on a cbr is a torture I fully sympathise. What about calling them explaining the problem and your concern and weight their feedback. All being well a convenient solution may be agreed. Give them a chance to put it right.

The bike is new to you and you need help getting to the air filter. My concern would be if your action without the blessing Of the seller could give them an excuse to deny liability as you have limited warranty.

Maybe I am over complicating the situation And causing you unnecessary worries. Hopefully all will be resolved happily ever after.

Regarding oil consumption, hopefully a member with similar bike can chime in

7. Hewy78

Hewy78 New Member

You make some good points, I have the bike on a pcp so will have it for 3/4 yrs and dont want to be sorting rings and pistons and things like that in my ownership (due to their incompetence anyway) I take your comment about sirbox on board and did wonder if it would be full of oil but if not ill leave it alone. To be fair I did over 500 miles on it in a day when doing NC500 and it was awesome and I couldn't believe how comfy it was, got arse ache but think you would on any bike at 500 miles...

8. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

I think the Honda stance is, 1 litre of oil per 1000km is acceptable, anything else they will look at it? I remember reading something along those lines for sure.

9. Hewy78

Hewy78 New Member

Even on the new ones bud, my only concern is the potential damage caused by the overfill, although I dont have any leaks or blue smoke...

10. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Honestly not sure about the new ones. I can't imagine they will have changed much though from their oil burning days

11. Hewy78

Hewy78 New Member

True.. the saga continues hey.. I have a hang up about the overfill, my mates just say keep an eye on the oil level and enjoy it... wish i could.

12. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Yikes, my 2017 RA-H has never had a need for the oil to be topped up between services and that's doing around 7k miles per year. My local dealer said these engines are pretty bullet proof and don't burn oil - so if yours is, I'd be definitely asking the dealer to find out why.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hewy78

Hewy78 New Member

I'm monitoring it