16th August - Brands Indy

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by dern, Jun 22, 2021.

1. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Never done Brands before so booked in to Novice.

2. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Felt like a very long day this one, I guess the M25 will do that.

IMG_1238.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg

Got there a bit late but got the noise test done and checked in. Scouted around for room in a garage not realising that they cost money to book. A very nice guy gave me room in his garage and turned down the contribution I offered after I realised it cost him money... very nice of him indeed. Met some great people during the day and was glad of the cover when it rained.

I thought Brands was a really odd small track. I quite enjoyed it but it felt too small for the bike and I struggled to get the hang of it. I'm just not smooth enough I don't think. It'll come I guess. I find it difficult to transfer the confidence I gain from track I'm familiar with like Bedford and Pembrey to new tracks. I'm definitely not a natural at this, lol. Anyway, it's still good fun.

Few close moments today though. Had a few small front end slides first session until I dropped the pressure a little and then that was fine. I ran on to the grass at Surtees (indy circuit) for no reason other than I got myself off line overtaking slower riders and then got target fixation. No need to go on to the grass but seemed to forget how to ride for a few moments. Stayed upright and rejoined. Rest of the morning was all good and picking up speed and then it rained. That was ok too as it was only light to begin with. Then I touched the white line accelerating out of Graham Hill bend and the back started to spin instantly and had a bit of a slapper as it sorted itself out. I felt very lucky to stay on with that one and calmed down a bit after that.

It was an eventful day and I'm getting more used to the bike moving about. I wish I was more of a natural at this and a faster learner but I'm getting more 'at peace' with my pace rather than getting any quicker. The alternative is to never go anywhere but Bedford but where's the fun in that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trackit

Trackit Active Member

I've not done Brands before, too far away for me, I have done Cadwell quite a few times now and it has taken the fun out of it a little so I delibertly try new circuits like Croft just to get the excitement of a new circuit back.